Crisis-hit Thailand to hold new election on July 20

webfact

Crisis-hit Thailand to hold new election on July 20

BANGKOK, April 30, 2014 (AFP) - Thailand will hold a new general election on July 20, a top poll official said Wednesday, in an effort to resolve a deadly six-month political crisis.

Election Commission (EC) secretary general Puchong Nutrawong said the new voting date had been decided during talks with Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra.

"We agreed that the most suitable election day is July 20 and the EC will draft the royal decree for the prime minister to submit to the king for royal endorsement," he told reporters.

The kingdom has been without a fully functioning government or parliament since December. A general election held in February was voided after opposition demonstrators disrupted voting.

It was not immediately clear if the main opposition Democrat Party would take part in the new vote.

The opposition protesters want Yingluck to resign to make way for an unelected "people's council" to oversee political reforms before elections are held.

Yingluck is pushing for new polls as soon as possible to shore up her position in the face of a series of legal threats that could force her from office.

She is accused of dereliction of duty linked to a loss-making rice subsidy scheme and the improper transfer of a senior civil servant.

The nation has been shaken by months of political violence that has left 25 people dead and hundreds wounded, including many anti-government protesters, in grenade attacks and shootings.

Thailand has been bitterly divided since a coup in 2006 ousted Yingluck's brother Thaksin Shinawatra as prime minister.

He still wields huge influence from his self-exile in Dubai, where he lives to avoid prison for a corruption conviction.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-04-30

Govt agrees with EC to hold election on July 20

BANGKOK: -- The government and the Election Commission agreed Wednesday on holding the new election on July 20.

Election Commission chairman Supachai Somcharoen said the meeting atmosphere between the EC and the government was good and the caretaker government agreed with all the proposal raised by the EC.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-30

POLITICS
July 20 set for next election

BANGKOK: -- The government and the Election Commission agreed at a meeting on Thursday to set July 20 as the date for the new election

EC chairman Supachai Somcharoen said the atmosphere in the meeting was good and the caretaker government agreed with all the EC proposals.

The meeting with the caretaker premier took place in the afternoon at the Royal Thai Air Force Academy.

Before the meeting, Supachai said the EC proposed three election dates - July 20, August 17 and September 14 - to the government. It also presented the results of its earlier meetings with security agencies and political parties as well as Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva.

The EC felt July 20 was an appropriate date but if the government disagreed, then it must give its reasons, he said before the meeting. The EC would listen but remained true to its stance is that the election must not be held in an atmosphere of conflict and that there must be no violence. Meanwhile, EC member Somchai Srisutthiyakorn said the government must ensure a free and fair election, it must stay neutral as the caretaker government and must not abuse the power for its advantage and the security agencies must provide support in maintaining peace and order during the election process,.

He also said the EC might postpone the election in problematic places where balloting cannot properly take place properly. Meanwhile, the government must accept the situation, as it was possible that the election could take place but the House of Representatives could not convene within 30 days of the election date.

On Yingluck's Facebook page, she said that in the morning she had attended a meeting to follow up the work of government agencies. She hoped that the election, delayed for more than three months, would take place thus allowing the people to get the government they wanted soon.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-30

Over my dead body says Suthep!

For the good of Thailand, we can only hope.

ps. Don't really want him dead, just in jail for his crimes

Tim: Greater crimes from Thaksin. Would you like him jailed too? Just for balance you understand!

Well, we will just have to wait and see what happens now.

There are still the NACC and CC cases to complete.

What will the PDRC etc do?

Is there any chance that the July 20 election will be successful?

I think it's a sad day for Thailand that the PTP and EC have thrown out the possibility of compromise and finding a peaceful solution.

So much for following Yinglucks advice to Abhisit to take his time and make his proposal. A pre-emptive lie and silly us for believing her.

"the government must ensure a free and fair election, it must stay neutral as the caretaker government and must not abuse the power for its advantage"

It's a question of how fast the pigs fly.

Depends on whether they have turbo prop or jet engines,if the latter no contest.

So that means, Thaksin wins, Pheu Thai acts, the red thugs are trigger happy again,.... amnesty bill returns = guaranteed victory for Thaksin, and Yingluck can finally continue to travel the globe.

The Legend will NEVER die!!!!!

Book it!!!!

How much bribe did the "ELECTION-COLLECTION-COMMITTEE" take from Dubai, huh????!!!!!

Edited by MaxLee

Tim: Greater crimes from Thaksin. Would you like him jailed too? Just for balance you understand!

Definitely, but I would think their crimes are as bad as each other. Both ordered the killing of civilians allegedly and both are corrupt.

no answer from tim i see....

I was busy, but thanks for your concern and for not adding anything to the discussion.

If we fail learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it. So before you fully support Suthep and his good people, you may want to research other dictatorship regimes such as Pol Pot in Cambodia that made similar noises before coming to power, for the people.

I think if an election hoes ahead before all sides have talked and they must, even if forced, then the suthep lot will shut down 28 provinces and nothing will change.

I think at that point the army will act.

But we do have court cases first.

Remember, the 28 provinces? Suthep can honestly say he achieved his goal and these people will feel their victory. However the nation as a whole will continue downwards until the mess is resolved

Marcusd. Via tapatalk

" He also said the EC might postpone the election in problematic places where balloting cannot properly take place properly. Meanwhile, the government must accept the situation, as it was possible that the election could take place but the House of Representatives could not convene within 30 days of the election date. "

Two very important points here. The EC is saying that if there are " problematic areas " those polls would be postponed. But that would automatically nullify the election as the February 2 election was, because the Constitutional Court - in line with the articles pertaining to elections - deemed all areas of the country must be involved on the same day. The second point is that the EC is asking the Yingluck administration to take the responsibility if a quorum is not reached, and the same thing happens all over again. So in fact, absolutely nothing has changed. Let's count the ways. Clearly, Abhsit's pleas for a postponement and a chance to sit down and reach a consensus that would increase the chances of a poll occurring peacefully were rejected out of hand. In a puff a smoke go Yingluck's vacant words to Abhisit to " take his time " to reach a consensus ( from the Earth to Yingluck - that actually was meant to include you and your participation ). Abhisit said that the Democratic party would contest the election if some form of consensus were to take place beforehand. So in a double sweep, Yingluck has knowingly put the entire election in peril. Again. For exactly the same reasons. As Pheu Thai has slammed the door on the Democratic party's outreach, there is now a greater chance the Democratic party won't contest the election. Incidentally, an idea floated in recent days as a possible breakthrough - that a " provisional election " or " interim election " take place where reforms could be carried out before another election shortly thereafter - well, all of that is now history. In addition, there is no indication that this election will succeed any more than the last one. If anything, the divisions and tensions have grown worse. The most important thing is -

Pheu Thai haven't budged one inch. They are adopting exactly the same stance and expecting a different result. And in case nobody's noticed, the Constitutional Court will be delivering a verdict within the next two weeks and the NACC shortly thereafter.

Well if the EC thinks it is ok to hold off elections in problematic areas when this was the reason the Feb election was nullified it points to the sheer madness of Thai politics and undermines the constitution courts ruling. Or will July election be nullified. The mind boggles at the stupidity of the law makers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Definitely, but I would think their crimes are as bad as each other. Both ordered the killing of civilians allegedly and both are corrupt.

I don't like Suthep but he didn't order the killing of civilians. He gave the army the option of shooting people under certain circumstances. Basically if there was danger to life or property. That's not alledged as it's in the ROE. He is, or at least I think he was corrupt.

As for Thaksin, I don't know although his war on drugs seems to have been the cause of a lot of unnecessary deaths but I'll leave that to someone who knows more

• Like 1

no answer from tim i see....

I was busy, but thanks for your concern and for not adding anything to the discussion.

If we fail learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it. So before you fully support Suthep and his good people, you may want to research other dictatorship regimes such as Pol Pot in Cambodia that made similar noises before coming to power, for the people.

Just love newbies.

Probably an old poster who got tired at being laughed at or got banned for trolling.

What party is Suthep heading and how many districts will they contest in for the seat?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The principal player and major protest organiser is being ignored, not lookin good.

On the surface it is not looking good but I think it will all work out.

This time there will be ample protection from the army to make polls available to all and also I believe they are going to allow registrations for a candidate on line. Suthep will be a non issue if the Democrats run. He has done a great job in keeping the PTP corruption in the public eye but he has come to the point where he will have to bend. All though his followers still follow him as do many others they know that blocking elections is not the answer this time. They for the most part will go along with the elections. I just hope Abhist had ideas that would prohibit a dictatorship from coming about. To make no changes is to allow Thaksin to become the dictator All though he would have to live abroad under heavy protection. He knows there is more than one bullet with his name on it. That was his reason for backing out of an appearance on the Burmese side of the border adjoining Mai Sai a red shirt stronghold. But to close to Thailand for him.

Yingluck agreed with the EC to a July 20 vote. This was a day after Abhist had held talks with the EC and we do not really know the details that he presented or which if any of them were in Yingluck's accepting the July 20 date. defiantly interesting times ahead. If the Democrats run and I am fairly sure they will we know who will be there leader. Now as it sits we don't know who Thaksin will have as a figurehead for the PTP.wai2.gif

• Like 2

I would suggest that putting a bullet in Thaksin, whether the deed is done in Thailand or across the border, is one certain way of setting the North and North East alight.

I would also suggest that the Army have worked that out, and realise that even with 700 plus Generals they could not hope to control things.

Anyway, it would get in the way of their various "commercial activities", not to mention the golf!

Yingluck Accepts 20 July Election Deals
By Khaosod English

13988610191398861239l.jpg
A pro-election demonstrator holds up a sign which reads "Respect My Vote" at a poll station in Bangkok during the advance voting session on 26 January, 2014.

BANGKOK - The government and the Election Commission (EC) have at last agreed to an election on 20 July - on a number of conditions demanded by the EC.

The decision was reached following a three-hour long meeting between Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and EC directors today.

Ms. Yingluck called a fresh election after dissolving the House last December, but the advance and actual voting on 26 January and 2 February, respectively, were later disrupted by anti-government protesters led by the People's Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD).

Some EC officials abandoned the attempt to arrange the election at the slightest threat from anti-election demonstrators, causing a number of Bangkok poll districts and southern provinces to cancel the voting and registration for the candidates.

The Constitutional Court eventually invalidated the 2 February election result on the ground that the voting and the registration was done conducted on the same across the kingdom, enraging many pro-government activists who accuse the EC of collaborating with anti-election agenda of the PCAD.

Up to the very last hour before today's meeting, top Election Commissioners continued to express their reluctance to organising a new election on the ground that a future poll will spark further violent confrontation.

EC chairman Suphachai Somcharoen explained that the aim of the EC is to organise an election in a "calm and orderly" atmosphere; at least one person was killed and many more injured in the days leading up to 2 February election due to clashes between pro- and anti-election protesters.

"There must be no injury or loss in the next election," Mr. Suphachai insisted.

Somchai Srisutthiyakorn, chief of the EC's election administration department, said prior to the meeting that he would only agree to a new poll if Ms. Yingluck accepts all of his five conditions.

Among the conditions are: the government must guarantee a free and fair election; the authorities must provide public order thorough the election; and the government must refrain from abusing its power to favour its allies in the election.

Furthermore, Mr. Somchai insisted that the government must allow the EC to suspend or postpone the polls in areas where risk of violence runs high, and that the government must accept a delay as long as 30 days after the election is completed before a new parliament session can be convened.

After the meeting was adjourned, officials said Ms. Yingluck has agreed to all five demands, paving the way for the election on 20 July. a Royal Decree formally approving the election date is expected to be issued in the next few weeks.

The date was chosen among three other dates offered by the EC, 17 August and 14 September, officials added.

The poll agreement followed a week of "lobby tour" engaged by Democrat Party chairman Abhisit Vejjajiva, who presented himself as a "mediator" and called for all sides to participate in a dialogue to solve Thailand's ongoing crisis.

Mr. Abhisit also suggested that an election be held in order to form a transitional government which will embark on series of reforms for a year, a clear deviation from his fellow former party member and current leader of the PCAD, Suthep Thaugsuban. Mr. Suthep has insisted that the reforms must be completed before any election can be held.

However, it is not clear whether Mr. Abhisit's party will boycott the next election as it has done in the previous poll.

Anuthin Charnweerakul, chairman of Bhum Jai Thai Party, said today he accepted Mr. Abhisit's proposals but added that he also told Mr. Abhisit that he believes the crisis will likely come to an end if all parties agree to the election.

"Mr. Abhisit just laughed," Mr. Anuthin said, "He didn't say anything further."

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1398861019&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-05-01

CAPO ready for new poll on 20 July

BANGKOK, 1 May 2014 (NNT) -The Center for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) has expressed readiness to provide security for the new general election set on 20 July 2014.

Deputy Prime Minister Surapong Tovijakchaikul on Wednesday said the CAPO would make sure that the election proceeded smoothly by deploying officers from the military, the police and the Ministry of Interior to safeguard it. Mr Surapong expressed his confidence that the election would be successfully organized and there would be less disruption by anti-government protesters. The deputy premier also confirmed the government would help make the election free and fair.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra instructed the CAPO to apply lessons learned from the last election with the 20 July poll. The premier said she believed the government and the People's Democratic Reform Committee who protested against the election could understand each other.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-01 footer_n.gif