Visa to Sweden for Thai National in UK on Thai Passport.....

For whatever reason my ex wife despite being in the UK for 14 years still has only her Thai Passport. She wants to visit her sister in Sweden and as usual its me that has to sort it out (trust me its better that way in the long run ! )

The Swedish Embassy Website(s) are cluttered and quite simply contradict themselves over requirements........

Does anyone have recent experience with this particular application.....??

Apart from anything else she insists our sons Passport and Birth Certificate are required despite him not going !!

Any help appreciated.....

Does your wife have British Citizenship?

As your wife has lived in the UK for so many years I assume she is legally resident there so she can apply at the local VFS, she has to apply in person.

She will need a copy of your passport and marriage certificate and whilst a UK Passport would negate the need for the whole visa process, I'm sure that a Thai Passport would be acceptable.

You are right in your assumption that your sons passport and birth certificate are not required.

As your wife has lived in the UK for so many years I assume she is legally resident there so she can apply at the local VFS, she has to apply in person.

She will need a copy of your passport and marriage certificate and whilst a UK Passport would negate the need for the whole visa process, I'm sure that a Thai Passport would be acceptable.

You are right in your assumption that your sons passport and birth certificate are not required.

No she does not have British Citizenship albeit she obviously has leave to remain. Shes not married to me anymore or anyone for that matter !

Sorry I missed the reference to her being your ex.

Nevertheless providing she is in the UK she can apply at the UK Consulate.

She can still use her Thai passport, but as she is no longer married to an EU National she will have to supply more evidence. Proof of accommodation in Sweden, hotel or with her sister, flights, and insurance. She will also to convince the visa officer that the proposed visit is genuine and affordable, she will need to supply details of health insurance for the duration.

She will need to satisfy the visa officer that she has strong ties in the UK and is not looking to start a new life in Sweden.

Your child's passport still isn't required but she might want to include as she might think it provides evidence that she intends to return to the UK, though it would carry little weight if the child was Thai, living in Thailand and she was applying to visit the UK.

Sorry I missed the reference to her being your ex.

Nevertheless providing she is in the UK she can apply at the UK Consulate.

She can still use her Thai passport, but as she is no longer married to an EU National she will have to supply more evidence. Proof of accommodation in Sweden, hotel or with her sister, flights, and insurance. She will also to convince the visa officer that the proposed visit is genuine and affordable, she will need to supply details of health insurance for the duration.

She will need to satisfy the visa officer that she has strong ties in the UK and is not looking to start a new life in Sweden.

Your child's passport still isn't required but she might want to include as she might think it provides evidence that she intends to return to the UK, though it would carry little weight if the child was Thai, living in Thailand and she was applying to visit the UK.

ok thanks will pass that all on. As you say may be an idea to include our sons British passport and birth certificate as obvious reasons to return

Depending on where the applicant lives it may be an option to apply at VFS but this is entirely optional, at all times can somebody get a direct application with the embassy within 2 weeks of the request being made. If the embassy itself is easier to travel to, or if you don't want to spent money on a service fee, or fear VFS may be incompentent/less competent then the embassy itself the applicant has a good reason to consult the embassy itself directly.