Threatened residents rise against temple donation scammers in Phuket

webfact

Threatened residents rise against temple donation scammers in Phuket
Phuket Gazette

1_201451101135824_KxyCFdZjCNsCtrPLnPilXv
Even scammers can have official looking donation envelopes. Photo: Saran Mitrarat

PHUKET: -- Thalang Police have warned Phuket residents against scammers asking for donations for temple development projects.

The statement follows an incident in which Srisoonthorn residents who asked to see donation collection permits were threatened by the collectors.

“Collectors often come to the Srisoonthorn market in the mornings to ask for money, claiming donations will go toward a temple development in the north of Thailand,” said Srisoonthorn Moo 3 headman Chalermchai Klongngam.

“When the villagers asked to see a collection permit, the collector refused to show them. Instead, three others in the collector’s pick-up truck surrounded the villagers and told them to stop asking questions.”

The Thalang Police advised locals to go to the site of the specific temple project they want to help, rather than handing money to collectors without proper documentation.

In order to gather donations, collectors must have a permit signed by the governor, said Mr Chalermchai.

“Anyone wanting to collect donations has to have permission first. They have to explain the purpose of the donations, their monetary goal and they must stop asking for money once they reach their target,” Mr Chalermchai explained.

“Do not donate money to someone who cannot present a permit, as it could be a scammer using religion for personal financial gains.”

Thalang Police Deputy Superintendent Amnuay Kraiwuttianant called upon residents to help stamp out donation scams.

“Officers cannot patrol all areas at all times, so we need you to look out for situations like this. Please call 191 immediately if you are threatened by collectors or know of someone who is,” Col Amnuay said.

— Saran Mitrarat

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Threatened-residents-rise-against-temple-donation-scammers/29301

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2014-05-01

Where there is money there is a con. You can't trust anyone these days. But also do people that collect money who are not scammers actually do it for free, and all money collected goes directly to the orginisation???

Where there is money there is a con. You can't trust anyone these days. But also do people that collect money who are not scammers actually do it for free, and all money collected goes directly to the orginisation???

My Thai wife collects donations for free and passes on every single bht.

• Like 1

if you want to help the poor, you just have to look around you ... monks need money for what? they already have free accomodation, airco, all the food they can eat ...

too many crooks

help ? find a poor family near your moo bahn and give them some food

it is not that the monks are so skinny in the first place

Was put on the spot a few years in a very prestigious Phuket resort (L*****) when I was cleaning my car in the driveway of the property which I owned, in a gated community, with security as always. Turned round and surprised to see two guys standing behind me. All smiles.

With a folder - of pictures of crippled, wheel-chaired soldiers and policemen (I was assured) who had been injured fighting Muslim terrorists in the South (to protect me).

Would I care to help? I was sure they had weapons (and probably would have had, had they been either officers, or otherwise).

OK - 500 baht in the envelope.

Sorry - not enough.

OK - 3,000 baht (now get the hell out of here before my wife and family return).

Reported to Management - who seemed genuinely surprised that this could have and did happen. No idea what, if any follow-up.

All the usual moral, ethical issues were there of course. Not to mention the fear factor as well. In the end all this crap goes into the big equation which will eventually affect Phuket, Thailand and other like-countries. But realistically the marketing spin doctors will bring the unknowing droves in and it's a lottery thereafter. Very sad.