Two trains derail on May Day: Thailand

webfact

Two trains derail on May Day

trains-derailed-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Two trains, one in Chiang Mai and another in Nakhon Ratchasima derailed yesterday but caused no injury.
The first incident happened at Chiang Mai railway station while the Nakornping- Bangkok express train was about to depart for Bangkok at about 10.45 a.m.

Two train bogies jumped off the track while the train was moving backward to run on another rail line. There was no passenger on the two bogies. Crane has to spend several hours before the two empty bogies were lifted and put back on the tracks.

Another derailment was reported at about 8.00 a.m. yesterday in Nakhon Ratchasima when a cargo train went off the track near Thung Salaeng station. The derailment caused heavy damage to the train wheels.

The governor of the State Railway of Thailand Prapat Chongsa-nguan had earlier declared before major maintenance of the northern rail line from Lampang to Chiang Mai that he would step down if there was further derailment on the route after maintenance work completed.

But maintenance has completed almost five months and derailment also happened many times. Even on the first day of the test run the security of the line, the train also derailed and he was on that train.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/two-trains-derail-may-day/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-02

"The governor of the State Railway of Thailand Prapat Chongsa-nguan had earlier declared before major maintenance of the northern rail line from Lampang to Chiang Mai that he would step down if there was further derailment on the route after maintenance work completed."

So, is he still, in his position?

Not surprised, Yingluck's and Thaksin's train has derailed a long time ago, but they are still running this country.

Hey Costas, don't you ever talk about anything but Thai politics? No wonder that guy in Tesco's gave you a wide berth

Ha ha,yes Costas probably steamed in at the guy,"why are you wearing a red shirt.Thaksin blah blah,yingluck blah blah"

• Like 1

there is a simple obvious solution that anyone can see but it isn't being implemented.

permanently ban all domestic air flights and the train derailment problem wouldn't ever occur again.

Edited by Wacoal

Did anyone ever think why so many trains derail here. It sure makes a good selling point for the new train system they want to build.

Although i dont believe i would be riding anything high speed here with TAT safety standards

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The governor of the State Railway of Thailand Prapat Chongsa-nguan had earlier declared before major maintenance of the northern rail line from Lampang to Chiang Mai that he would step down if there was further derailment on the route after maintenance work completed.

But maintenance has completed almost five months and derailment also happened many times. Even on the first day of the test run the security of the line, the train also derailed and he was on that train.

Well, at least the news report confronts the official with his previous statement. Not to his face, of course, but still a rare event in Thai journalism.

Well, at least the news report confronts the official with his previous statement. Not to his face, of course, but still a rare event in Thai journalism.

probably he will come up with something like' as only one carriage came off it is not classed as a derailment',or he could use an example from the UK,'the wrong type of leaves on the track'

I took the train from Khon Kaen to Bangkok once and it seemed like it was jumping around the rails a lot. As a kid I remember being around trains and don't recall such a racket.

I am starting to think that maybe everything in Thailand kind of works like this: The rail company or the garbage collection or whatever govt service gets allocated a certain amount of money and then those in charge see how much they can take from the fund for their personal gain either directly or indirectly through contracts then what is left goes to service the train tracks or the garbabe collection which is maybe why the trains come off the tracks so often and garbage is everywhere???

• Like 2

Did anyone ever think why so many trains derail here. It sure makes a good selling point for the new train system they want to build.

Although i dont believe i would be riding anything high speed here with TAT safety standards

Well if you look at the pic, maybe it's because Thai trains use rubber tyres.. and such things burst. cheesy.gif

I took the train from Khon Kaen to Bangkok once and it seemed like it was jumping around the rails a lot. As a kid I remember being around trains and don't recall such a racket.

I am starting to think that maybe everything in Thailand kind of works like this: The rail company or the garbage collection or whatever govt service gets allocated a certain amount of money and then those in charge see how much they can take from the fund for their personal gain either directly or indirectly through contracts then what is left goes to service the train tracks or the garbabe collection which is maybe why the trains come off the tracks so often and garbage is everywhere???

well done - you are learning the Thai way.

"The governor of the State Railway of Thailand Prapat Chongsa-nguan had earlier declared before major maintenance of the northern rail line from Lampang to Chiang Mai that he would step down if there was further derailment on the route after maintenance work completed."

Not surprised, Yingluck's and Thaksin's train has derailed a long time ago, but they are still running this country.

yeah, and because of Suthep the government can't spend the money to build durable rails....

yeah, and because of Suthep the government can't spend the money to build durable rails....

Hahahahaha priceless!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

That is why some boxes in Thailand, namely labelled the hi-speed train system ..... nuclear power ..... should be left unopened with a large sticker - Only to be used by well trained professionals. The standards are simply not here along with the stringent controls and international quality standards and operating knowledge to implement and operate such systems. Leave well alone and start by fixing what you have.

• Like 1

Well if you look at the pic, maybe it's because Thai trains use rubber tyres.. and such things burst. cheesy.gif

In the dozen or more "derailment threads" on TV in the last year, it has been revealed that the cause has already been investigated and confirmed: Over the last 40-50 years or so, rail maintenance has been carried out by using sub-standard quality steel rails purchased from China.

Now, the "birds are coming home to roost."

Think about that the next time you buy Chinese-made pet food, human food, toothpaste, powdered milk products, etc.--all of which have been derailed as well in consumptive products scandals over the last decade.

Probably the safest thing Thailand could do would be to rebuild the Bamboo Wall, and pay a little more from exporting countries that have adequate quality control as well as greater value for human life.

Hey Costas, don't you ever talk about anything but Thai politics? No wonder that guy in Tesco's gave you a wide berth

He's very annoying. Has to be the first to comment on every story. Most of the time it's stupid comments he thinks is funny but isn't. Nothing better to do in life. Please try to have constructive remarks that add value. Might serve you better.

• Like 1

In the dozen or more "derailment threads" on TV in the last year, it has been revealed that the cause has already been investigated and confirmed: Over the last 40-50 years or so, rail maintenance has been carried out by using sub-standard quality steel rails purchased from China.

Now, the "birds are coming home to roost."

Think about that the next time you buy Chinese-made pet food, human food, toothpaste, powdered milk products, etc.--all of which have been derailed as well in consumptive products scandals over the last decade.

Probably the safest thing Thailand could do would be to rebuild the Bamboo Wall, and pay a little more from exporting countries that have adequate quality control as well as greater value for human life.

It's worn out, the carriages are broken the tracks need relaid the points need replaced. Go take the train journey and see for yourself.

If only the government had some sort of infrastructure program to replace all these garbage railways, with twin tracks to reduce the points, and a planned route to join the ends of Thailand up....

Oh right, they did all that and the Democrats got their coup friends to block it.

Seems to me there was some pictures giving a side view od a section of the track after maintenance It was not level it was up and down. Don't know how level it is supposed to be but it seems to me that the bed was probably softer in some sections.

Any way back to normal.

Edited by northernjohn

That was not what the 2.2 billion baht loan was for. Did you not notice it would not be responsible to the house where the money went. Just make sure your grandchildren save their satongs to pay for it.