Government Water at a trickle if at all

Hardly surprising, look at the reservoir .... a few days ago....

Post 407 ....http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/608689-whats-the-weather-doing-now/page-17

Fortunately there has been some rain in some areas these last few days.... (but not Choeng Mong, as Tropicalevo keeps reminding us! sad.png )

But a few good rains in some areas.... thumbsup.gif It's going to take a bit more to raise the levels...wink.png

So here maybe is the downside to the infrastructure improvements.

In the old days - everywhere on Samui flooded. The water eventually found its way into the underground reservoirs. here was nowhere else for it to go.

The local government kindly listened to complaints from locals/tourists about how bad the flooding was for business so the local government put in lots of new drains to take the water away.... to the sea.

Oh dear - drought conditions. I could be wrong though. Just my tuppence worth.

Sorry Samui543 - you could be dry for a while. Let us hope that the summer rains/monsoons come soon.

Government water dries up most years in some areas. It's just a case of 'for how long'?

They built quite a number of large cement holding tanks a few years ago dotted around the island .... but I have yet to see any that have been filled ... it seems to me they are just a catchment for leaves and other crap...facepalm.gif

I live in the Chaweng area and had NO government water for 3 whole days! it came back on around 6pm today!

The last time i remember a water shortage was back in 2009. Now it's a big problem again. Water trucks are working around the clock at the moment.

At the end of the day Samui is growing way too fast.

I live in the Chaweng area and had NO government water for 3 whole days! it came back on around 6pm today!

The last time i remember a water shortage was back in 2009. Now it's a big problem again. Water trucks are working around the clock at the moment.

At the end of the day Samui is growing way too fast.

Wow, three days no water...w00t.gif people must be getting a bit smelly! whistling.gif

Must have been all those bikers, washing there fancy bikes for bike week using it up !! facepalm.gif

But for a few weeks now, there have been people with very little water that depend on shallow wells.... yep, and lots of water truck running around!

Let's hope the bit of rain we've had trickles down a little to help! thumbsup.gif

One of the reasons I left Choeng Mon / Blai Laem was the lack of water. IIRC they rationed the supply to 2 days per week which usually meant we were dependent on delivery trucks & tied to the house until they arrived. Supply of drinking water was a hit and miss affair too. Good luck to those of you that are currently struggling.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Interesting facts about water

70% of the world is water

Of which 3% is Fresh Water

Of which just over 2% is Glaciers etc

That leaves under 1% for us

Of which 70% is used for agriculture

60 years ago the world population was 1.25 billion

Today over 6 billion projected to 9 billion in the next 50 years

Get the picture if we don't do something about it.

Here is an interesting article from The Independant about the global crisis. It has a reference to the Bangkok basin.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/fresh-water-supplies-are-going-to-run-out-so-what-can-we-do-to-make-the-taps-keep-running-2304481.html

Remember you cannot manufacture water.

Edited by cowleyboy

It's good to see everybody can read about the real news on theThaiVisa Samui Forum. Unlike online Island newspapers!

Well at least it is up to date ....well some times anyway! whistling.gif .... Only problem some times there's a bit of "BS".... but that usually comes from non island resident participants shock1.gif... whistling.gif

Here is an interesting article from The Independant about the global crisis. It has a reference to the Bangkok basin.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/fresh-water-supplies-are-going-to-run-out-so-what-can-we-do-to-make-the-taps-keep-running-2304481.html

I am and have been a resident on the Island for the last 3 years. It wont affect me but will affect my grandchildren and the rest of the world if you believe in a future.

Edited by cowleyboy

Or, they could just be making it up, as they have been doing for decades.

http://www.ihatethemedia.com/fifteen-foolish-forecasts-how-did-environmentalists-get-it-so-wrong-on-earth-day-1970

KOH SAMUI, 5 May 2014 (NNT) –The Manager of the Koh Samui Waterworks Office is hastening to solve a problem with taps that have run dry in some areas, as a result of the recent rainfall deficit on the island.

After several months of low rainfall, available untreated water is reduced from 31,800 cubic meters a day to 21,600 cubic meters a day.

The Manager of the Koh Samui Waterworks Office said the solution to the long-term water demand on Koh Samui is the present construction by the Koh Samui Waterworks Authority of an untreated water pipe project which is expected to be completed in 2016.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNECO5705050010013

It's good to see everybody can read about the real news on theThaiVisa Samui Forum. Unlike online Island newspapers!

Is this banter or are you having a swipe? IMO Samui Times is a breath of fresh air when compared to the long defuct "Samui Excuse" which was edited by a moron in Bkk & proof read by Big C! If you're referring to their food reviews (bead & butter & for which they are paid) I have found them to be of sufficient interest that I have popped in to at least three of the venues & found them to be factually correct.

Their stories aren't bad either & i'm pleased to note a degree of due diligence is applied before going to press.

Just my 2p

So here maybe is the downside to the infrastructure improvements.

In the old days - everywhere on Samui flooded. The water eventually found its way into the underground reservoirs. here was nowhere else for it to go.

The local government kindly listened to complaints from locals/tourists about how bad the flooding was for business so the local government put in lots of new drains to take the water away.... to the sea.

Oh dear - drought conditions. I could be wrong though. Just my tuppence worth.

Sorry Samui543 - you could be dry for a while. Let us hope that the summer rains/monsoons come soon.

Government water dries up most years in some areas. It's just a case of 'for how long'?

"There are also indications that El Niño is huge this year, similar to that of 1997-98, the most powerful ever." (NOOA)

• Like 2

Is this banter or are you having a swipe? IMO Samui Times is a breath of fresh air when compared to the long defuct "Samui Excuse" which was edited by a moron in Bkk & proof read by Big C! If you're referring to their food reviews (bead & butter & for which they are paid) I have found them to be of sufficient interest that I have popped in to at least three of the venues & found them to be factually correct.

Their stories aren't bad either & i'm pleased to note a degree of due diligence is applied before going to press.

Just my 2p

A Drought on the Island is serious news. The last time this happened was in 2009 when many hotels had to close there swimming pools due to lack of water. And my house had No government water for nearly a month! The Islands online newspaper only started to report about this issue yesterday. Thats 4 days behind the first post on Thaivisa samui forum. These online papers are merely advertising comics for business owners to market. Personally i want to read about real news stories for real people. Anyway, back to the topic...

Edited by TheOggMonster

Just my 2p

A Drought on the Island is serious news. The last time this happened was in 2009 when many hotels had to close there swimming pools due to lack of water. And my house had No government water for nearly a month! The Islands online newspaper only started to report about this issue yesterday. Thats 4 days behind the first post on Thaivisa samui forum. These online papers are merely advertising comics for business owners to market. Personally i want to read about real news stories for real people. Anyway, back to the topic...

I sympathize as I too was caught out as explained earlier, but how were ST supposed to find out without input from affected parties?

crystal%2Bball.jpg

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1