Is Thailand a Buddhist country?

TimCM

The way the forum generally works is that if you disagree with a post you set out your reasoning and preferably provide some evidence. That way we can all learn from the information that comes out of the discussion. For example, if you claimed the Buddha never ate meat, I would point to the Cunda Sutta in the Pali Canon, which says:

Then the Blessed One, early in the morning, adjusted his under robe and — carrying his bowl & robes — went together with the community of monks to Cunda's home. On arrival, he sat down on the seat laid out. Seated, he said to Cunda, "Cunda, serve me with the pig-delicacy you have had prepared, and the community of monks with the other staple & non-staple food you have had prepared."

Responding, "As you say, lord," to the Blessed One, Cunda served the Blessed One with the pig-delicacy he had had prepared, and the community of monks with the other staple & non-staple food he had had prepared.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/ud/ud.8.05.than.html

This is a well-known sutta because the Buddha died from the tainted pork.

Similarly, if you are saying the third precept specifically prohibits sleeping with a prostitute, I'd ask where the Buddha said this. A quote from the scriptures would put this to rest. I don't have any particular position on this, but in the context of the OP I think if a prohibition isn't clearly specified in the scriptures, can we criticise Thais for doing it? As it happens, the third precept is generally interpreted in Thailand as being a prohibition on adultery.

Just to clarify my post regarding the precepts anthropologists say Thai villagers find impossible to keep - I'm not saying that ignoring the precepts is OK, but understanding the culture enables us to be less judgmental about it.

The way the forum generally works is that if you disagree with a post you set out your reasoning and preferably provide some evidence. That way we can all learn from the information that comes out of the discussion. For example, if you claimed the Buddha never ate meat, I would point to the Cunda Sutta in the Pali Canon, which says:

Then the Blessed One, early in the morning, adjusted his under robe and — carrying his bowl & robes — went together with the community of monks to Cunda's home. On arrival, he sat down on the seat laid out. Seated, he said to Cunda, "Cunda, serve me with the pig-delicacy you have had prepared, and the community of monks with the other staple & non-staple food you have had prepared."

Responding, "As you say, lord," to the Blessed One, Cunda served the Blessed One with the pig-delicacy he had had prepared, and the community of monks with the other staple & non-staple food he had had prepared.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/ud/ud.8.05.than.html

This is a well-known sutta because the Buddha died from the tainted pork.

Similarly, if you are saying the third precept specifically prohibits sleeping with a prostitute, I'd ask where the Buddha said this. A quote from the scriptures would put this to rest. I don't have any particular position on this, but in the context of the OP I think if a prohibition isn't clearly specified in the scriptures, can we criticise Thais for doing it? As it happens, the third precept is generally interpreted in Thailand as being a prohibition on adultery.

Just to clarify my post regarding the precepts anthropologists say Thai villagers find impossible to keep - I'm not saying that ignoring the precepts is OK, but understanding the culture enables us to be less judgmental about it.

No, it is a made up propaganda story designed to provide a motive to attack a certain group at the time.

Maybe you forget the "civil war" that took place between different groups of monks 40 years after the Buddha's death.

You need to separate reality from fairy-tales.

When you post something on the internet don't expect everyone who reads it to be ignorant.

Now I'm not going to argue with you, it is poor form. Go your way in peace and don't mistake intellectualizing with truth seeking and collecting anecdotal stories will get you no further along the way than collecting comic books will make you Batman.

When you post something on the internet don't expect everyone who reads it to be ignorant.

Now I'm not going to argue with you, it is poor form. Go your way in peace and don't mistake intellectualizing with truth seeking and collecting anecdotal stories will get you no further along the way than collecting comic books will make you Batman.

Anyone can just jump into a thread from nowhere and just say "you're all wrong..." and then jump out again.

If you have nothing constructive to add instead of just criticism then just read and don't join in.

The you declare yourself and your vastly superior knowledge not worthy of explaining yourself to the rest of us lowly ones..... careful... your ego is showing!!

Anyone can just jump into a thread from nowhere and just say "you're all wrong..." and then jump out again.

If you have nothing constructive to add instead of just criticism then just read and don't join in.

The you declare yourself and your vastly superior knowledge not worthy of explaining yourself to the rest of us lowly ones..... careful... your ego is showing!!

You intentionally erased two thing I said:

"No, it is a made up propaganda story designed to provide a motive to attack a certain group at the time."

"Maybe you forget the "civil war" that took place between different groups of monks 40 years after the Buddha's death."

[flaming deleted, member warned.]

"Now I'm not going to argue with you, it is poor form."

healthbkkbkk, it's not poor form to disagree.

But it's very poor form to flame other members. It's also against our general Forum Rules.

TimCM, bashing Buddhism is against the special rules for this forum, has explained here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/61517-a-welcome-message-posting-guidelines/

The Buddhism Forum is a place for members to discuss Buddhism, not tear it down. .