Why you might want to wear that dust mask!

KonaRain

When you've worked breathing in asbestos, worked breathing in aluminium powder, worked breathing in medium density fibre, smoked since you was 11 and live near a very busy highway intersection, stuff like this doesn't worry you.

It's just a waiting game.

• Like 1

just a warning about diesel, and Chaing Mai dust..

making fat? in our lungs..I gotta quit smoking..aloha

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

One of those masks that Thais are prone to wear would be useless to stop dangerous particulate matter entering one's lungs. Would have to be a proper respirator.

Even the masks hospital staff wear for operations are useless after about 10 minutes, which is why may surgeons don't cover their noses. Just good for stopping saliva when speaking.

Ah, that's why the article says to stay away from roads..better to watch my cholesterol..

Edited by KonaRain

When I ride my bike, I frequently wear a cheap dusk mask.

After riding significant dirt can be seen deposited on the mask.

Without the mask I believe this matter would have been deposited in my lungs, so15baht well spent?

One of those masks that Thais are prone to wear would be useless to stop dangerous particulate matter entering one's lungs. Would have to be a proper respirator.

Even the masks hospital staff wear for operations are useless after about 10 minutes, which is why may surgeons don't cover their noses. Just good for stopping saliva when speaking.

They are actually quite reasonable at stopping particulate matter, even a handkerchief over your mouth and nose will stop a lot of particulates, they are however as much use as chocolate poker at stopping any fumes, vapours or gasses, and they are the most dangerous .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Surgical masks are not designed or intended to protect the wearer, they are intended to protect the patient!

And PM10 is not that difficult to capture, <PM2.5 is the dangerous one, hence the concerns over burning season in Thailand.

I cook Mexican food and make my own chili powder. I buy the Thai chili powder for 19 baht and sift out the seeds then add my secret ingredients. For this I wear a mask. It works great.

Sure it does, that's because the airborne particle size that causes inflammation is quite large and easily captured by a simple linen masks, the culprit in chili peppers is capsaicin.The problem occurs with inorganic particles that are smaller, particles the size of a human hair and ones that can easily traverse the bronchial passages.

So the original post about staying away from truck routes, and cities in Thailand lol..well driving a car with A.C. helps..a dust mask wont do it for motorcycles etc.

3D printers can make a water filter..I wonder..

I remember during the SARS outbreak years ago, seeing all the beautiful Asian girls ( even the airline hostesses ) wearing those masks.

I started thinking of them as " face bras" just another garment used to hide something pretty!post-147745-0-21096400-1399102548_thumb.

• Like 1

I cook Mexican food and make my own chili powder. I buy the Thai chili powder for 19 baht and sift out the seeds then add my secret ingredients. For this I wear a mask. It works great.

Sure it does, that's because the airborne particle size that causes inflammation is quite large and easily captured by a simple linen masks, the culprit in chili peppers is capsaicin.The problem occurs with inorganic particles that are smaller, particles the size of a human hair and ones that can easily traverse the bronchial passages.

So, It's OK to make my chili powder with the mask?

So, It's OK to make my chili powder with the mask?

Up to you what you wear when you're cooking, cook naked whilst wearing Miss Piggie ears if you wish.biggrin.png

More seriously: the mask you use whilst cooking chillies prevents large particles from entering your respiratory system, that works.

Great -- so we finally find out why the need for all those bars on the windows, locks, safe, and the killer dog: It's to guard your secret ingredients.

Great -- so we finally find out why the need for all those bars on the windows, locks, safe, and the killer dog: It's to guard your secret ingredients.

Photo of me.

post-187908-0-95005400-1399105527_thumb.

Edited by thailiketoo

Photo of me.

Completely off topic, but referring to the photograph...I wonder who thought it was necessary to have the words THE VAULT embossed in large letters above that door?

I remember during the SARS outbreak years ago, seeing all the beautiful Asian girls ( even the airline hostesses ) wearing those masks.

I started thinking of them as " face bras" just another garment used to hide something pretty!attachicon.gifimages.jpg

Given that a pretty bra can be quite sexy, there's an opportunity for some enterprising person to come up with a "sexy" face mask for pretty girls.