hate against the isaan , is it about class or about skin color?

yanyk

in as much as i hate saying this its common news that people from isaan are looked down upon

the girls are all hookers and farang chasers,uneducated and dark skinned (wondering if its really a reason to hate)

read a column where a Thai from the south bashed the isaan

** Link Removed **

is this really the case??

Edited by SlyAnimal
Link to a commerical website removed as per forum rules
  • Like 1

After working here for 2 decades with a large thai workforce in big cities, i think that the bias is largely towards those poorly educated isaan girls married to elderly western gentlemen for economic reasons and the uneducated lowermost level of workers, who happen to be mostly from isaan. I work with many isaan people who are highly educated and married to equally educated thais and are leading happy lives and there is no indication of any class feeling between them and the chinese or southern thai. In thai soap operas also the isaan are mostly put in comical roles as security guards or maids etc which is a reflection of reality, not a commentary on class?

• Like 1

After working here for 2 decades with a large thai workforce in big cities, i think that the bias is largely towards those poorly educated isaan girls married to elderly western gentlemen for economic reasons and the uneducated lowermost level of workers, who happen to be mostly from isaan. I work with many isaan people who are highly educated and married to equally educated thais and are leading happy lives and there is no indication of any class feeling between them and the chinese or southern thai. In thai soap operas also the isaan are mostly put in comical roles as security guards or maids etc which is a reflection of reality, not a commentary on class?

"put in comical roles as security guards or maids etc which is a reflection of reality, not a commentary on class?"

Really! what the Soaps are telling the people is: ....This is your station in life which we have decided is what you are useful for i.e gardener,driver,nanny,cleaner,cook,Laundry worker,...so get used to it,this is as far as you are going!

Soaps in Thailand are a form of reinforcement,so that everyone knows their positition in life,as decreed by the centuries old pecking order.

If there is reincarnation? then this will have to be dealt with in your next life,there is not enough time in this one!

Nice article from Stickman and spot on as far as I'm concerned. We do occasionally see Farang/Thai couples that we are presumptuous enough to 'approve' of. I am very happy with my Isaan girl but have seen too many cases of relationships gone sour, sometimes expensively. It helps if you don't have any money, like me.

• Like 1

It has started a loooong time ago. I will make the story short. Once upon a time a bunch of thais with several inferiority complexes and fixations sat together and were trying to come up with ways to feel superior. It was not easy as they realized that all humans are created equal and one is not better than the other.

So they came up with truly retarded solutions such as a person with white skin is somehow better than the other with dark skin. But then they realized that this phenomena only existed in their little head and was not true to say the least so they started to advertise their own insecurities on national TV in the form of skin whitening products, making them look even funnier. Meanwhile they somehow got addicted to being ridiculous and came up with other ideas like poor people are worth less than their wealthy counterparts. Apparently that's not true either and they eventually realized it so then they started to point a finger at people who are not well off and say they are all about money. It didn't help much because it is like a fat person trying to convince a skinny one, how fat he is.

Eventually they backed off realizing that they are not any better. But since they had been trying to show the world otherwise for so long, their mind became corrupted and they got stuck in their own misery.

The prophets say it's alright. At some point everybody wakes up. Their(the above mentioned people with complexes)time has not come yet.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We need people like you in this world.

It's a north-south thing. The Northerners call the Southerners jai-dum. Black heart. I'll leave you you to figure it out.

While the education thing maybe true, it is because they were ignored by the southerners for centuries, until Thaksin (Don't take that as meaning I am a supporter). They are catching up. The skin color is not true. The ones that are dark are mostly dirt poor farmers that work in the fields daily. My wife is from Isan and she was very light skinned until I started taking her to the beach and riding on the motorcycle. The white ones in the south paint themselves white with every whitening product on the shelves and hide in the house.

I live here and prefer it to the south or BKK.

Edited by Gonsalviz

Not sure about education or skin color, but i personally resent the behavior, which sadly seems to be from Isaan,

Example, in my village (street with houses) new family has moved in from Isaan.

First month, the road was turned into a rubbish tip, yes right in the middle of the road, they started to pile up all their rubbish.

To a point that cars can not get through, asking them was useless, eventually one of the neighbors(Thai) called the rubbish company and had it removed at his own costs.

Next day they started new pile up.

Few doors down, another family moved in from Isaan. Screaming at each other at 6-7 am is a regular occurrence.

Parking their bike or shitbox of a car on other peoples drive way is a must. They simply can not go 1 day without parking or blocking someone else's drive way.

My village is really friendly, we all know each other and look out for each other, but since Isaan has arrived, its been turned into a screaming rubbish tip.

I have 15 dogs, all friendly but are dogs, all kept inside and never let out without leash, All neighbors know my dogs and like them and respect that i look after all so well.

Neighbors also know NOT to approach the gates if i am not home because dogs do protect their home.

Of course the lovely Isaan arrivals could not care less, their kids run up to the gates to irritate dogs, Neighbors have told them and parents NOT to do that, but of course, they could not care less.

I could go on, but it would be pointless.

No, not all people from Isaan are bad, but having experienced what i have, hard to stay positive if another family decides to move in

The ones from the Khmer provinces of Buriram, Surin and Sisaket will be dark.

The ones from the rest of Isaan will be less dark as they are genetically more Lao, which are paler than and relatively distinct from the Khmer.

The Thais really look down on the Khmer. They are often called 'Dirt Khmer' and are about the lowest of the low in Thai society.

:)

It's a north-south thing. The Northerners call the Southerners jai-dum. Black heart. I'll leave you you to figure it out.

While the education thing maybe true, it is because they were ignored by the southerners for centuries, until Thaksin (Don't take that as meaning I am a supporter). They are catching up. The skin color is not true. The ones that are dark are mostly dirt poor farmers that work in the fields daily. My wife is from Isan and she was very light skinned until I started taking her to the beach and riding on the motorcycle. The white ones in the south paint themselves white with every whitening product on the shelves and hide in the house.

I live here and prefer it to the south or BKK.

the white is a lie? why then do the southerners paint themselves with white paints?

in as much as i hate saying this its common news that people from isaan are looked down upon

the girls are all hookers and farang chasers,uneducated and dark skinned (wondering if its really a reason to hate)

read a column where a Thai from the south bashed the isaan

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Reader/reader1844.htm

is this really the case??

Well I am confused now! Does this mean, the short tanned football referee is from Isaan?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

My friend is a Thai woman with darker skin, she own 3 businesses and she is a Switzerland train chef. When I meet with her we always cook some Thai and European food together in her restaurant and we always go shopping for food together. So we were in a well known grocery store in Phuket to buy some filets mignon steaks to make a chateaubriand so she ask the butcher to cut 8 filets mignon steaks for her and the butcher ask her if she had enough money to pay for the steaks, she lost face big time in front of me and was livid. I ask the guy why he ask her if she had enough money and first he would not answer, after insisting he told that it was because of the color of her skin and told that Isaan people don't know how much it cost for filets mignon steaks. I complain to the manager and he laugh at us, complain by e-mail to the Thai head office, no answer. I had to restrain myself to punch the light out of this guy.

I have been told by several different people who work in Thai company's that if you are a dark skinned Thai you will be paid less than a lighter skinned Thai doing the same job regardless of qualifications/experience etc... this is known as the Thai hierarchy,otherwise known as racism... bah.gif

• Like 1

My friend is a Thai woman with darker skin, she own 3 businesses and she is a Switzerland train chef. When I meet with her we always cook some Thai and European food together in her restaurant and we always go shopping for food together. So we were in a well known grocery store in Phuket to buy some filets mignon steaks to make a chateaubriand so she ask the butcher to cut 8 filets mignon steaks for her and the butcher ask her if she had enough money to pay for the steaks, she lost face big time in front of me and was livid. I ask the guy why he ask her if she had enough money and first he would not answer, after insisting he told that it was because of the color of her skin and told that Isaan people don't know how much it cost for filets mignon steaks. I complain to the manager and he laugh at us, complain by e-mail to the Thai head office, no answer. I had to restrain myself to punch the light out of this guy.

sorry mate nice attempt but you and your friend are certainly no CHEFS! 8 filet mignons can't make a chateau briand- different cuts! but i like your way to protect your friend/ issaan ppl...
  • Like 1

I have been told by several different people who work in Thai company's that if you are a dark skinned Thai you will be paid less than a lighter skinned Thai doing the same job regardless of qualifications/experience etc... this is known as the Thai hierarchy,otherwise known as racism... bah.gif

No such thing as racism in Thai culture.

Only Hierarchy.

Based on race.

• Like 1

My 2 stepdaughters in Bangkok were not born with dark skin. But still, they used 5 different skin -whiteners for years ( yes, I do have access to the bathroom). In the meantime they look like ghosts.

Although none of the 2 can be considered "pretty", the both of them having to fend off "interested Thai Males" on a constant basis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the other hand: Pattaya, Second Road. P.......... from France opened the B.........Bar many years ago. Married a truly beautiful woman. Only problem: As pretty as she was she was very "dark". Even for Isaan Standarts.

Problem: The "less dark" employees would not accept any orders whatsoever coming from the "dark-woman" while P.......... was not present .

Is there "Racism" based on skin color present in Thailand? Yes!

Cheers.

• Like 2

Find this conversation strange I live in korat city for 7 years and in chonburi for 6 years and in pattaya for 8 years , and I cant see any different in color or poorer then normal Thai people here compare to chonburi and pattaya. When it comes to beggars motorbike gangs and jaba related crime and dual pricing that’s the only thing I find different now days... coffee1.gif

sorry mate nice attempt but you and your friend are certainly no CHEFS! 8 filet mignons can't make a chateau briand- different cuts! but i like your way to protect your friend/ issaan ppl...

I should have said chateaubriand like presentation with chateau potatoes, vegetables and bearnaise sauce presented on one single big plate to share.

Not sure about education or skin color, but i personally resent the behavior, which sadly seems to be from Isaan,

Example, in my village (street with houses) new family has moved in from Isaan.

First month, the road was turned into a rubbish tip, yes right in the middle of the road, they started to pile up all their rubbish.

To a point that cars can not get through, asking them was useless, eventually one of the neighbors(Thai) called the rubbish company and had it removed at his own costs.

Next day they started new pile up.

Few doors down, another family moved in from Isaan. Screaming at each other at 6-7 am is a regular occurrence.

Parking their bike or shitbox of a car on other peoples drive way is a must. They simply can not go 1 day without parking or blocking someone else's drive way.

My village is really friendly, we all know each other and look out for each other, but since Isaan has arrived, its been turned into a screaming rubbish tip.

I have 15 dogs, all friendly but are dogs, all kept inside and never let out without leash, All neighbors know my dogs and like them and respect that i look after all so well.

Neighbors also know NOT to approach the gates if i am not home because dogs do protect their home.

Of course the lovely Isaan arrivals could not care less, their kids run up to the gates to irritate dogs, Neighbors have told them and parents NOT to do that, but of course, they could not care less.

I could go on, but it would be pointless.

No, not all people from Isaan are bad, but having experienced what i have, hard to stay positive if another family decides to move in

Sounds like the indigenous people I had living next door to me a few years ago in Australia absolutely trashed the government house that they were given to live in not to mention knocking over my front fence and breaking into my car.

I also spend a month or two a year living in an Isaan village and never seen anything happen like you describe.

• Like 1

The Lao actually have pale skin. As do the ethnic Burmese.

It's the Khmer that are genetically dark. The three Southerm provinces of Isaan are predominately Khmer, the rest predominately Lao and mixed Lao/Khmer/Tai.

Edited by Som wat