Data tethering now disabled on DTAC?

bubba

I have two phones on DTAC - an iPhone and a Nokia Windows Phone. Last week, I saw a message on my iPhone saying that a carrier update needed to be accepted and installed, which I did.

Since that time, I have not been able to do data tethering from either phone, although both worked before last week:

With the iPhone, there is still a personal hotspot option, but when enabled, no wifi access point appears, and there is no data flow when connected by bluetooth of USB

With the Nokia, DTAC still shows under 'Access Point", but it cannot be selected or enabled.

Anyone else not able to tether using DTAC? I can say for sure that if DTAC have disabled tethering, I'm moving my business to another carrier that allows it.

Are those of you using True and AIS still able to do data tethering?

This table shows that all three carriers support tethering, but maybe it has not been updated since last week:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Tethering (mobile AP and USB) continues to work fine with my Android phones, USB aircard and MiFi device on DTAC.

Service providers do not charge any extra fees for tethering here, as they might in the U.S.

Sounds like an issue with Windows Phone and/or iPhone/iOS.

It seems weird that both would crap out at the same time - not sure what to recommend short of contacting DTAC, Apple or Nokia.

http://dtac.co.th/common/img/trinet/pdf/Internet-MMS-APN-iPhone.pdf

This thread seems to indicate the carrier update was in preparation of DTAC's LTE service. It sort of looks like you may need to "disable 4G" now, in Settings, Cellular? And of course make the other required/appropriate settings.

http://pantip.com/topic/31966616

Edited by lomatopo

Yep.. same here. Motorola Moto G (4.4.2) Checked hotspot=working. Checked USB=working. Tried checking Bluetooth =dunno how. But media works haha.

PS: I'm presuming that you can still connect to the internet via the phones browser. If not. Maybe they have changed the APN settings ..dunno.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker

I saw an article recently stating that a recent Google update reports tethered data differently to non tethered data.

The article also offered a fix for rooted phones. Sorry I cannot find the link at the moment as I am mobile.

For the record I agree that if I have paid for the download it should not matter on what device I view it.

Edit. Link added

http://danielpocock.com/android-betrays-tethering-data

sent from my Internet aware non fruity mobile device

Edited by thaimite

I saw an article recently stating that a recent Google update reports tethered data differently to non tethered data.

The article also offered a fix for rooted phones. Sorry I cannot find the link at the moment as I am mobile.

For the record I agree that if I have paid for the download it should not matter on what device I view it.

Edit. Link added

http://danielpocock.com/android-betrays-tethering-data

sent from my Internet aware non fruity mobile device

OEM ROMs have always shown tethered data different from data the phone is using. This guy is using Cyanogenmod, so probably CM had been coded to remove it, and it then was put back in some other way by Google. I know that for US models, the custom ROMs will add tethering capability back in when the carrier will not allow it with the plan the user is on. Though I hadn't heard that they disguised the ip address.

In the US, AT&T used to go through the trouble of identifying people who were tethering, mainly because the tethering plans started about $30/month higher than base data plans.

Really appreciate your replies, as this tells me it's not DTAC disabling tethering by policy. It does seem weird that both my iPhone and Nokia cannot do tethering. One is post-paid and one is pre-paid. I have good, fast data from both phones' browsers and all other data using apps. Guess I need to call DTAC. (Also, I see "Enable 4G" as an option in my iPhone settings now).

Sounds more like an other problem, i can't see how a phone company can prohibit you sharing your data with your phone. They can't see the settings on your phone or what you are doing.

Actually, many carriers in other countries do not allow tethering, or charge extra for it. They do not need to see the settings on you phone - carrier settings can even eliminate the Personal Hotspot option on an iPhone.

What's weird is that both devices worked fine, presumably, and then at the exact same moment they both stopped working.

If that's not exactly how it happened then I'd guess the recent iOS carrier settings update requires you to change/modify your data settings.

And, there are no shortage of issues, based on a Google search, with Windows Phone/Nokia and tethering...

https://www.google.com/search?q=problems+nokia+windows+phone+tethering&oq=problems+nokia+windows+phone+tethering&aqs=chrome..69i57.8697j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=problems+nokia+windows+phone+internet+sharing

TRY THIS

Go to Manage wireless networks
Select the connection 520 and open the properties
go to Security tab and then Advanced settings
and enable the Federal Information processing standard and save the setting.
Reboot .

Federal Information processing standard sounds strange, maybe this is something Microsoft added for the NSA?

Again, the local service providers here in Thailand do not monitor internet sharing/tethering, do not disable it, do not charge extra for it and do not care how you consume your data.

In the U.S. there are tons of post-paid and pre-paid plans, and skads of MVNOs. I think it is easier to find providers which offer free, or some complementary volume, tethering/mobile hot-spot than in the past.

The reasons for extra fees in the U.S. are a bit complicated, and a legacy from the early days of truly unlimited/uncapped plans.

Federal Information processing standard sounds strange, maybe this is something Microsoft added for the NSA?

Again, the local service providers here in Thailand do not monitor internet sharing/tethering, do not disable it, do not charge extra for it and do not care how you consume your data.

Oops. That's probably something where they said, "Just call it that for now and we'll change the name later."

In the U.S. there are tons of post-paid and pre-paid plans, and skads of MVNOs. I think it is easier to find providers which offer free, or some complementary volume, tethering/mobile hot-spot than in the past.

The reasons for extra fees in the U.S. are a bit complicated, and a legacy from the early days of truly unlimited/uncapped plans.

Thanks to Tmobile's new plans, the other US carriers are having to improve their plans. Tmobile's plans are unlimited with tethering, but speed throttled after the selected full speed volume.

AT&T includes tethering in their Mobile Share Value plans now, which start out at $45/month for unlimited talk and text including texts to international numbers, and 300MB data. Think that started in March 2014 as they allowed everyone to switch plans starting in March, even on a 2 year contract.

Verizon may offer tethering included now, though they were forced to allow the use of 3rd party tethering apps back in 2012 in a settlement. They've also reduced prices as well.

http://www.cnet.com/news/what-verizons-fcc-tethering-settlement-means-to-you-faq/

Really appreciate your replies, as this tells me it's not DTAC disabling tethering by policy. It does seem weird that both my iPhone and Nokia cannot do tethering. One is post-paid and one is pre-paid. I have good, fast data from both phones' browsers and all other data using apps. Guess I need to call DTAC. (Also, I see "Enable 4G" as an option in my iPhone settings now).

Sounds more like an other problem, i can't see how a phone company can prohibit you sharing your data with your phone. They can't see the settings on your phone or what you are doing.

Actually, many carriers in other countries do not allow tethering, or charge extra for it. They do not need to see the settings on you phone - carrier settings can even eliminate the Personal Hotspot option on an iPhone.

As far as I understand a personal hotspot is working like a router. They had a hard problem spotting routers back in the day when I was not allowed to use them so I doubt its different. Good thing of Apple to help the phone companies and I hope they never get it on android. Anyway here in BKK on dtac with an Galaxy s3 no problems.

Thanks again for the comments. I am away in Korea for the week and will give tethering a go again when I get back. At least it's good to know that DTAC have not disabled tethering as a policy.

Thanks again for the comments. I am away in Korea for the week and will give tethering a go again when I get back. At least it's good to know that DTAC have not disabled tethering as a policy.

I would be pissed if they did, I almost never use their 1gb (work at home got fiber optics here) but when I go on a holliday or a away from home for a longer period i use it a lot.

Actually because you only get a certain amount of data at full speed it does not really make sense for them to ban tethering.

Tethering (either via USB or by using the "portable hotspot" feature within Android) continues to work well for me on DTAC. I don't use it very often, but am somemtimes in locations without internet access, or am trouble-shooting faulty internet so it is handy to have. DTAC greatly outperforms home, fixed-line DSL in both raw and int's speeds.

post-9615-0-01049400-1399424325_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-01033900-1399424341_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-89772000-1399424357_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-63870800-1399424367_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo