Extension of Stay

OK, so I'm hoping to tap into the collective wisdom here are make sure I've got the "extension of stay" requirements figured out correctly. If I've got this wrong or otherwise confused in some way, please chime in.

I'm American, aged 59, and have a Non-Immigrant, mutiple-entry, O-A Visa. The Visa was issued 5/16/13 and expires 5/15/14. Over the past year I've been in and out of Thailand several times and entered most recently on 2/11/14. The most recent airport arrival stamp has " Admitted Until" 2/10/15.

After searching this site for the relevant information this is what I think I know:

1) I need to do a 90 day report before 5/11/14. If I am staying in Thailand, the 90 day reporting is the only requirement to the "Admitted Until" date of 2/10/15.

2) Assuming I want to stay in Thailand, I will need to apply for an "Extension of Stay" a few days before 2/10/15. This application includes a requirement that I document either sufficient income via a letter from my embassy, or "seasoned" funds in a Thai bank.

3) If I am successful in obtaining an "Extension of Stay" but want to travel outside of Thailand, I'll need a "Reentry Permit". The Reentry Permit can either be single entry or multiple entry and serves the same basic purpose of my original Visa (i.e. providing there is no objection by immigration officials, allowing me entry to Thailand)

Finally, since I'm currently living in Bangkok, all of these applications would normally be processed at Chang Wattana. Because of the political troubles, I'll need to go to either Major Hollywood, Suksawat or Imperial World, Ladprao.

I know there are many threads on these subjects but its all rather new so I'd appreciate your patience. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kelly

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

A border run just before 15th May 2014 will give you another 12 months stay.

That is what I would do.

Then you don't have to worry for another 12 months.

Agreed . However, any travel outside Thailand during the second year would require a re-entry permit and 90 day reports are required if staying in Thailand that long .

Edited by thepool

You should do a border run before the 15th to get another one year entry.

After your visa expires you will need a re-entry permit to keep your permit to stay valid if you want to travel.

Doing a border run just before his visa runs out this month is a reasonable suggestion, but it doesn't gain him that much. It pushes his need for an extension out for three months, but it doesn't eliminate his need (starting the 16th of this month) to get a Re-Entry Permit. And in any case, 90-Day Reporting has been and will be required for any stay of that length.

So, according to my math, a border run saves him 3/12 of the extension fee of 1,900 baht. Sorry if I overlooked something.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Doing a border run just before his visa runs out this month is a reasonable suggestion, but it doesn't gain him that much. It pushes his need for an extension out for three months, but it doesn't eliminate his need (starting the 16th of this month) to get a Re-Entry Permit. And in any case, 90-Day Reporting has been and will be required for any stay of that length.

So, according to my math, a border run saves him 3/12 of the extension fee of 1,900 baht. Sorry if I overlooked something.

Doing a border run just prior to an "O/A" visa expiring secures a permission to stay extending a whole 12 months !

If you do not know then please do not post misleading and inaccurate information.

Edited by thepool

He already has a Permission To Stay until 2/10/15, nine months from now. If he does a border run now, just before his visa expires, he will get a Permission To Stay that expires in mid-May of 2015, a gain of only three months. Is that worth doing a border run? However much time and money for a trip just to gain 475 baht worth of extension time?

If you cannot read then...

• Like 1

Doing a border run just prior to an "O/A" visa expiring secures a permission to stay extending a whole 12 months !

If you do not know then please do not post misleading and inaccurate information.

"Doing a border run just prior to an "O/A" visa expiring secures a permission to stay extending a whole 12 months !"

Yes, but he's already "secured" 9 months of that amount so, as mahjongguy has said he'll only gain 3 additional months over what he already has.

I join the others in pointing out that during the extra 9 or 12 months after the visa has expired you will need a re-entry permit if you intend to leave and re-enter Thailand.The multi-entry feature of the visa does not carry over to the 2nd year.

Also, you need to think about when you will be applying for the extension. If you're using the money-in-the-bank method, make sure it will be seasoned in your account prior to applying. If you're using the income verification method or a combination of the two, you'll need to get a notarized affidavit from the US embassy no more than six months before you apply for the extension.

Edited by Suradit69

Anyone help with this one?

My pal (UK) has a retirement visa which expires on 4 July. However, his passport expires on 27 November this year. Then he'll return to the UK for Christmas and come back here in January. He can get an O/A based on marriage in the UK, then later convert it to a retirement if he wants to.

Is it likely Immi will give him an extension until his passport expires - i.e. for about 6 months? If so, would it be the same cost as a 12 month extension?

Anyone help with this one?

My pal (UK) has a retirement visa which expires on 4 July. However, his passport expires on 27 November this year. Then he'll return to the UK for Christmas and come back here in January. He can get an O/A based on marriage in the UK, then later convert it to a retirement if he wants to.

Is it likely Immi will give him an extension until his passport expires - i.e. for about 6 months? If so, would it be the same cost as a 12 month extension?

His extension will only be until the 27th of November. He should get a new passport now. He will get the remaining validity of his old passport added to the new one so he would loose nothing by doing it early.

There is no OA visa based upon marriage. An OA visa is only issued for retirement. He could get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage if needed.

All extensions of stay cost 1900 baht. It does not matter if it is for 7 days or one year.