Getting around Phuket.

Jai Normous

Myself and 2 friends are working between Hong Kong and Singapore. We have all been to Thailand many times but not to Phuket. We want to visit for just 3 days and will make it a monthly gig if we like the place. We would like the beaches by day and the bars by night. We'll also check out a few of the places of interest.

We don't want to get into a fight with a tuk driver. We don't want to hire a car or a motorcycle because we will be drinking. Money's not a problem but how do we get around? We just want to go where we want to go to and when we want to go there. From everything I have read, that's not so easy in Phuket. Can we hire a driver and car for 3 days? How much should we pay for it?

How do most people on holidays get around Phuket?

Do we hire him 24/7 or just get his phone number and ring him when we need a ride? We don't really want to be waiting around for 30 minutes for him to come and pick us up. Can you give us an idea of prices?

You make a deal to suit you schedule, he has to sleep sometime and so do you. Price ? can't say. For an all day tour, say 8 or 9 hours usually 1,500 - 2,000 baht. But the driver collects petrol vouchers from all the tourist traps he takes you too.

rent car at Avis and grab a taxi when you guys drinking..

By the time they pay for the rental car and gas + taxi later in the day, I think the OP has the right idea about just paying for driver and car while he and his pals are here.

sku_179439_2.jpg

Money's not a problem

• Like 1

I just had some friends in town and they rented a nice van (with driver) for 1600 baht/day.

That sounds fine, probably only need a car though. There will only be 3 of us. Can this also be to and from the airport?

Edited by Jai Normous

I just had some friends in town and they rented a nice van (with driver) for 1600 baht/day.

That sounds fine, probably only need a car thought. There will only be 3 of us. Can this also be to and from the airport?

http://www.avis.com/car-rental/location/details.ac?LOCATIONCODE=HKT

We would like a driver as well because we will be going out drinking. I don't know my way around Phuket so easier if someone else drives.

No need for a driver. If you really must go to Phuket and want a mixture of beaches and bars then just stay in Patong or Surin, depending on whether you want a sleazy and intense tourist trap in Patong or a quieter tourist trap in Surin.

For transport you can get a meter taxi from the airport. To Patong I guess it will be about 700 baht (whatever it says on the meter) plus an additional 100 baht airport fee paid at the airport office. To find the meter taxi office just exit from arrivals via the glass doors, turn right and keep going, it's right at the end and clearly marked. You can't miss it and in my limited experience those taxis are honest and reliable.

Once in Patong, and I suppose also Surin, you probably won't need any more transport, just walk...stagger....whatever.

When you leave you can easily get a taxi back to the airport for 700 baht or so or a mini bus for 200 baht each.

I hate Phuket, its an over priced sh*t hole but transport isn't nearly the problem its reputed to be as long as you don't get tuktuks all over the place, which I believe are stupidly expensive for the distances travelled. But as far as taxis go, as opposed to the tuktuks, I had no problems once I learned what the ball park standard prices seemed to be. In fact my first taxi driver was a nice guy, spoke really good English and had a gun in the glove compartment.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

No need for a driver. If you really must go to Phuket and want a mixture of beaches and bars then just stay in Patong or Surin, depending on whether you want a sleazy and intense tourist trap in Patong or a quieter tourist trap in Surin.

For transport you can get a meter taxi from the airport. To Patong I guess it will be about 700 baht (whatever it says on the meter) plus an additional 100 baht airport fee paid at the airport office. To find the meter taxi office just exit from arrivals via the glass doors, turn right and keep going, it's right at the end and clearly marked. You can't miss it and in my limited experience those taxis are honest and reliable.

Once in Patong, and I suppose also Surin, you probably won't need any more transport, just walk...stagger....whatever.

When you leave you can easily get a taxi back to the airport for 700 baht or so or a mini bus for 200 baht each.

I hate Phuket, its an over priced sh*t hole but transport isn't nearly the problem its reputed to be as long as you don't get tuktuks all over the place, which I believe are stupidly expensive for the distances travelled. But as far as taxis go, as opposed to the tuktuks, I had no problems once I learned what the ball park standard prices seemed to be. In fact my first taxi driver was a nice guy, spoke really good English and had a gun in the glove compartment.

Love these posters that "hate Phuket" but find time to be on the Phuket Forum post-92090-0-08424300-1399258592.gif

OP you need to sort it by where you want to be. If Patong is your thing, you might end up on Nanai with some of your working femininas and can foot it.

Fire Station rd. Kata, same. Walk it into Kata, o.k. maybe a motorbike taxi back once well heated.

But first, before figuring the transpo, decide where you want to be. Then if need be, hire a private guy and buzz him when/if you need him.

• Like 2

rent car at Avis and grab a taxi when you guys drinking..

By the time they pay for the rental car and gas + taxi later in the day, I think the OP has the right idea about just paying for driver and car while he and his pals are here.

sku_179439_2.jpg

Money's not a problem

Can we hire a driver and car for 3 days? How much should we pay for it?

If you have to ask.

Love these posters that "hate Phuket" but find time to be on the Phuket Forum attachicon.gifmoran.gif

OP you need to sort it by where you want to be. If Patong is your thing, you might end up on Nanai with some of your working femininas and can foot it.

Fire Station rd. Kata, same. Walk it into Kata, o.k. maybe a motorbike taxi back once well heated.

But first, before figuring the transpo, decide where you want to be. Then if need be, hire a private guy and buzz him when/if you need him.

We were thinking of staying in Kata. For sure we will go to Patoing for the nightlife.

Some info on Getting Around Phuket can be found here.

Thanks for the info. I was told to keep away from the tuks and the info in your link pretty much confirms what I was told.

Not completely correct.

The taxi/tuktuk ranks are the same group of people, operating from the same stand. Depending on your preference you can either get in a taxi or tuktuk, same price. Sometimes the taxi will even be black plated (therefor not a legal taxi), but for some inexplicable reason these organisations allow illegal taxi's into their ranks.

Some replies are using the word taxi. I was told there are no taxis in Phuket. Are these ordinary cars with the owner driving or are they actually Government regulated taxis?

There are some real taxis on Phuket island, properly registered and insured. Easy to spot with bright yellow/blue or yellow/red paint work and a with a meter. Unfortunately they are impossible to find other than at the airport.

When the word 'taxi' has been used we are talking about a private car and driver or a Tuk Tuk.

'Government regulated' - well that's a new idea. Best of luck with that.

Some replies are using the word taxi. I was told there are no taxis in Phuket. Are these ordinary cars with the owner driving or are they actually Government regulated taxis?

There are some real taxis on Phuket island, properly registered and insured. Easy to spot with bright yellow/blue or yellow/red paint work and a with a meter. Unfortunately they are impossible to find other than at the airport.

When the word 'taxi' has been used we are talking about a private car and driver or a Tuk Tuk.

'Government regulated' - well that's a new idea. Best of luck with that.

Ok. It looks like a private car and a driver and we will get his phone number. Probably get more than one to give a couple of options if one is tied up or does not show up.

When I said Government regulated I meant like in Bangkok. Distinguishable taxis everywhere with meters and some sort of certified driver. Like you describe with the bright colours.

Thanks for the info. I was told to keep away from the tuks and the info in your link pretty much confirms what I was told.

Not completely correct.

The taxi/tuktuk ranks are the same group of people, operating from the same stand. Depending on your preference you can either get in a taxi or tuktuk, same price. Sometimes the taxi will even be black plated (therefor not a legal taxi), but for some inexplicable reason these organisations allow illegal taxi's into their ranks.

We will probably get around in a car. When they throw a price at us is it per person or for the trip?

Just to let those who have replied know, we have all been to Bangkok and Pattaya many times. This will not be our first time in Thailand. Everyone I have spoken to has said you pretty much have to hire a motorbike in Phuket, and we definately don't want to do that. They have also said stay away from tuks and there are no taxis there so I thought I would ask on this website what would be the best way for us to get around.

Edited by Jai Normous

Not completely correct.

We will probably get around in a car. When they throw a price at us is it per person or for the trip?

Just to let those who have replied know, we have all been to Bangkok and Pattaya many times. This will not be our first time in Thailand. Everyone I have spoken to has said you pretty much have to hire a motorbike in Phuket, and we definately don't want to do that. They have also said stay away from tuks and there are no taxis there so I thought I would ask on this website what would be the best way for us to get around.

Mate, get your hotel to collect you from the airport, then as LIK suggested make a deal with one of the taxi guys outside your hotel.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to those who replied. I've had trouble signing in and posting on the forum, so, please forgive the delay in passing on my appreciation.

Just an update for the topic. We were due in Phuket this weekend, but have canceled because of the military curfew, not because we thought we would be in any danger. We actually canceled when everything was shut at 10pm. I see now that the curfew has changed but it's too late, we have already canceled.

We changed our flights for a small fee and will be in Phuket in a few weeks time. We hope everything will be back to normal then.

If anything relevant to this topic changes, any new information would be appreciated.