Gerry Adams freed in Jean McConville murder inquiry

webfact

Gerry Adams freed in Jean McConville murder inquiry

BELFAST: -- Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams has criticised the timing of his arrest over the IRA murder of Jean McConville.

Speaking after his release following four days of questioning, Mr Adams said there was a "sustained, malicious, untruthful campaign" alleging his involvement in the 1972 killing.

A file will be sent to the Public Prosecution Service, police said as he was released.

Mrs McConville's son said the family's fight for justice would continue.

Jean McConville, a 37-year-old widow, was abducted from her Belfast home, shot and secretly buried.

Her body was found on a beach in County Louth in 2003.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-27278039

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-05-05

30 years ago Adams was caught by suprize in a house in (IIRC) Turf Lodge that was raided in a pre-dawn search at a time when IRA/INLA were culling each other. Fearing for his life & not knowing it was the Army/RUC that was at the door he shot out of the back of the house like a rabbit with a ferret up it's arse & ran for his life......completely starkers!

Because it WAS the Army/RUC the event was caught on video (SOP re evidence). Withing days a slow motion clip of his "streak" was set to music. I haven't seen the clip for years but the tune coupled with the memory is priceless... smile.png

RIP to Jean McConville & the Disappeared.

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Adams and McGuinness would have been shot years ago but because they are useful pawns in a much bigger political game, they have been spared.

As and when they have outlived their usefulness they will quietly disappear.

Rest assured this present show will not result in any conviction for Adams as any evidence will have been compromised over the years.

Edited by pendingo
  • Like 1

My goodness. Adams was involved in many atrocities. I was a (research) journalist in NI for a year during the Operation Motorman and I can honestly say his fingers were everywhere. I would not trust this man as far as I could throw him. Having said that I always had enormous sympathy for the Catholic minority so I'm not drawing ideological conclusions.

I just can not imagine anyone one getting to the top of that type of organisation without blood on their hands.

Just how many members of the IRA were fitted up buy other members just because they were in the way of promotion?

BUT...

Since the peace accord there has been very few killings, and just for this is it not time for an amnesty if it will maintain peace? one thing is for certain that if there is a God and Hell, he and many others will spend an eternity in hell, and it not just the IRA but others on all sides of this conflict.

I know this will not solve the problem completely, there are too many people on all sides with deep rooted hatred that will never change their views until the day they are 6 foot under, but an amnesty is move in the right direction.

• Like 1

A terrorist, but lauded in the USA as a hero and Man of Peace, even after 9/11 !

I hope justice is swift.

Are you still piss at George Washington and both Adams

Keep on attacking USA next time your country will speak German or Arabic

Such sad people the haters of the USA

• Like 1

A terrorist, but lauded in the USA as a hero and Man of Peace, even after 9/11 !

I hope justice is swift.

The previous post leads me to suspect that that you may have been misunderstood.

Edited by evadgib

My goodness. Adams was involved in many atrocities. I was a (research) journalist in NI for a year during the Operation Motorman and I can honestly say his fingers were everywhere. I would not trust this man as far as I could throw him. Having said that I always had enormous sympathy for the Catholic minority so I'm not drawing ideological conclusions.

But catholics are now the majority, not a minority. Challenging times ahead for the orange brigade!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-26875363

Released without charge. No surprise. PSNI have nothing on him.

What happened to jean mc conville was awful. That said, the PSNI need to be consistent in following these atrocities up. I dont hear of them following up on the murder of joan connolly at the hands of another british parachute regiment in ballymurphy. If there is no balance, cracks will appear in the already fragile peace process, leaving the catholic communities to lose trust in the PSNI.

Here is a little piece about joan connolly:

joan was shot as she left her place of safety and went to the aid of a young boy (Noel Phillips) who was shot and wounded by the same regiment. Joan was shot several times in the head and body, with injuries so severe that part of her face was blown off. Joan's autopsy report indicates that Joan bled to death. Eye witnesses of the events claim Joan was blatantly refused emergency medical attention, even as she cried out for help.

The murder of Joan, the only woman shot in Ballymurphy during one of the trouble's worse events, left husband Denis without a wife and left eight children without a mother. The extent of Joan’s injuries was so horrific that Denis struggled to identify her body; he finally did on his third attempt aided only by Joan's red hair.

• Like 2

Released without charge. No surprise. PSNI have nothing on him.

What happened to jean mc conville was awful. That said, the PSNI need to be consistent in following these atrocities up. I dont hear of them following up on the murder of joan connolly at the hands of another british parachute regiment in ballymurphy. If there is no balance, cracks will appear in the already fragile peace process, leaving the catholic communities to lose trust in the PSNI.

Here is a little piece about joan connolly:

joan was shot as she left her place of safety and went to the aid of a young boy (Noel Phillips) who was shot and wounded by the same regiment. Joan was shot several times in the head and body, with injuries so severe that part of her face was blown off. Joan's autopsy report indicates that Joan bled to death. Eye witnesses of the events claim Joan was blatantly refused emergency medical attention, even as she cried out for help.

The murder of Joan, the only woman shot in Ballymurphy during one of the trouble's worse events, left husband Denis without a wife and left eight children without a mother. The extent of Joan’s injuries was so horrific that Denis struggled to identify her body; he finally did on his third attempt aided only by Joan's red hair.

So that's alright then. Adams is in the clear because it was so long ago and the evidence is faulty, yet you bring up anecdotal evidence from the same period and feel that's acceptable?

But catholics are now the majority, not a minority. Challenging times ahead for the orange brigade!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-26875363

Evidence?

2011 census showed a Protestant population of 48%, Catholics at 45% and no faith at 7%.

The fastest growing segment of the Catholic population are actually Poles who probably have little interest in a united Ireland.

Of the 45% Catholic element only 25% saw themselves as Irish, while 40% of NI's total population opted for British and Northern Irish (21%).

Classic mistake...conflating religion with political stance. Northern Ireland's conflict has always been about more than just religion, though it obviously has played its part.

Also only some 34,000 people are members of the Orange Order out of a Protestant community of some 900,000. So simplistic statements re the "Orange brigade" are as credible as saying that all Catholics are IRA sympathisers.

Edited by folium