Jeremy Clarkson: BBC gave me final warning

webfact

Don't think anyone needs to use the 'n' word just because it (unfortunately) exists - and certainly not when you are presenting a TV show. I think the right to not be insulted by a slur weighs more than the general freedom of speech, which is more about being able to express one's position on a topic and was never meant to facilitate/condone verbal abuse of minorities, etc.

"I think the right to not be insulted...weighs more than ...freedom of speech..." Seriously mate?

So you'd be right comfortable with Kim from North Korea and every other two bit dictator in the world who claimed he was being insulted by his opposition or whose deity had been insulted by one group or another and had them killed for insulting him or the God or Allah he followed? You're going to institutionalize and have the government restrict my ability to express my opinion and my speech because someone is or might be offended? Where does it end? Human beings are, well... human beings and they are naturally going to use derogatory terms and apply them to people they don't like or don't understand or maybe in fact hate. So what? This has been going on for thousands of years and now you think you're going to legislate the end of it? Is one derogatory term more heinous than others? It appears to me now that the "N" word (I can't even use it in this post or it will be deleted.) has achieved "Sacrosanct" status. It is the one word above all others that cannot be uttered. Why? Why is is it worse than all others? Can you give me a rationale? Have you ever heard the children's playground lament, "Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me."? You know there are numerous pejorative terms for a white person used by blacks, such as "Honky, Charlie, Cracker, White Boy, Haole, "Person of Privilege" (It's the newest term "person of privilege" it is meant to cow white people into submission.) What clap trap! What unmitigated BS. I won't be cowed. No one tells me mate, what I can or cannot say. Have a good day.

Edited by SanSaiExPat
  • Like 2

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of the posters here who are now defending Clarkson also scream racism over the use of the word "farang"?

Hell ... we've all told a racist joke or two ... or more ... amongst friends, but you gotta be pretty stupid to do so on a very popular TV show that's viewed world-wide by millions and millions of people ... a very large percentage of whom are non-whites. And to do it twice is as stupid as they come.

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

How many of the people who are complaining about their lack of 'freedom of speech' would actually walk up to the next black guy they saw in the street and say 'Hi nigger'? No, I didn't think so...

• Like 1

How many of the people who are complaining about their lack of 'freedom of speech' would actually walk up to the next black guy they saw in the street and say 'Hi nigger'? No, I didn't think so...

It should about intent. Your example is a intentiinal act to degrade. I do not think JC had any bad intent so I say F'em to all the insecure little twits that get worked up over such a benign occurrence which is probably those same twits with their hands out looking for someone else to take care of them.

Normal successful people with emotional stability just don't get worked up over stuff like JC's slip of the tongue . . . and can easily see how your example is completely bunk and/or not the same.

Edited by F430murci

he BBC will sack him and he'll go to ITV or SKY for a whopping fee....

Don't bet on it. If the BBC boots him, he'll be damaged goods and appear to be a loose cannon who can't control himself. No disrespect to the many here who love the guy, but I tried watching his show a few times and found his so-called humor arrogant and annoying and clicked away to another show.

There are millions who think otherwise.

Not doubting his arrogance but his whole persona and the show content = entertainment.

He would be snapped up by an independent station and then the BBC could show re-runs of Rolph Harris, Stuart Hall etc

It should about intent. Your example is a intentiinal act to defrade. I do not think JC had any bad intent so I say F'em to all the insecure little twits that get worked up over such a benign occurrence which is probably those same twits with their hands out looking for someone else to take care of them.

Normal successful people with emotional stability just don't get worked up over stuff like JC's slip of the tongue

So if you're not going to walk up to a black guy in the street and say 'hi nigger' in what other circumstances would you need to use the word? To talk about him behind his back?

How can a rhyme that has 'nigger' as one of its constituent words be a "slip of the tongue"? If he'd wanted to choose between the two cars without being 'controversial' he could have used 'one potato two potato' instead.

He did it because he knew it would cause a stir. His problem is that he didn't realise just how much of a stir it would cause.

Spelling.

Edited by sustento

It should about intent. Your example is a intentiinal act to degrade. I do not think JC had any bad intent so I say F'em to all the insecure little twits that get worked up over such a benign occurrence which is probably those same twits with their hands out looking for someone else to take care of them.

Normal successful people with emotional stability just don't get worked up over stuff like JC's slip of the tongue . . . and can easily see how your example is completely bunk and/or not the same.

What about people who get "worked up" like you just did?

It should about intent. Your example is a intentiinal act to defrade. I do not think JC had any bad intent so I say F'em to all the insecure little twits that get worked up over such a benign occurrence which is probably those same twits with their hands out looking for someone else to take care of them.

Normal successful people with emotional stability just don't get worked up over stuff like JC's slip of the tongue

So if you're not going to walk up to a black guy in the street and say 'hi nigger' in what other circumstances would you need to use the word? To talk about him behind his back?

How can a rhyme that has 'nigger' as one of its constituent words be a "slip of the tongue"? If he'd wanted to choose between the two cars without being 'controversial' he could have used 'one potato two potato' instead.

He did it because he knew it would cause a stir. His problem is that he didn't realise just how much of a stir it would cause.

Spelling.

You prove my point precisely and your trying to argue he did it intentionally, based only on your desire to create controversy or hard feelings, demonstrates where the problem and true racism really resides.

Spelling.

I think he did it because he can't help himself.

• Like 1

Don't think anyone needs to use the 'n' word just because it (unfortunately) exists - and certainly not when you are presenting a TV show. I think the right to not be insulted by a slur weighs more than the general freedom of speech, which is more about being able to express one's position on a topic and was never meant to facilitate/condone verbal abuse of minorities, etc.

"I think the right to not be insulted...weighs more than ...freedom of speech..." Seriously mate?

So you'd be right comfortable with Kim from North Korea and every other two bit dictator in the world who claimed he was being insulted by his opposition or whose deity had been insulted by one group or another and had them killed for insulting him or the God or Allah he followed? You're going to institutionalize and have the government restrict my ability to express my opinion and my speech because someone is or might be offended? Where does it end? Human beings are, well... human beings and they are naturally going to use derogatory terms and apply them to people they don't like or don't understand or maybe in fact hate. So what? This has been going on for thousands of years and now you think you're going to legislate the end of it? Is one derogatory term more heinous than others? It appears to me now that the "N" word (I can't even use it in this post or it will be deleted.) has achieved "Sacrosanct" status. It is the one word above all others that cannot be uttered. Why? Why is is it worse than all others? Can you give me a rationale? Have you ever heard the children's playground lament, "Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me."? You know there are numerous pejorative terms for a white person used by blacks, such as "Honky, Charlie, Cracker, White Boy, Haole, "Person of Privilege" (It's the newest term "person of privilege" it is meant to cow white people into submission.) What clap trap! What unmitigated BS. I won't be cowed. No one tells me mate, what I can or cannot say. Have a good day.

Yes, seriously. But you changed my point from slurs to 'claimed insults' and it totally falls apart. I was talking about the Chi/Fa/Ni... etc words only - OK.

Why do want to utter the 'n' word? Haven't seen a good reason yet (and I'd very much prefer if black folks wouldn't use it either)?

Yes, I know there are deragotary names for caucasians. And? I included ALL SLURS - period.

You can say what you want mate, that was never the point, jeez. Misreading posts much? The point was freedom of speech and slurs only.

Am I calling for someone's livelihood over an innocent slip of the tongue from someone that has spent hours upon hours in the media for how many years? How many other examples can you use to show he is a true racist other than his use of a nursery rhyme that was a poor taste lapse.

Yep, I am growing tired and annoyed by the hand out types that perpetuate racism for selfish reasons and to excuse their own inability to succeed.

JC is far from a horrible person that walks around with the intent to harm or degrade others so why the need to harm or degrade him.

Edited by F430murci

Am I calling for someone's livelihood over an innocent slip of the tongue from someone that has spent hours upon hours in the media for how many years? How many other examples can you use to show he is a true racist other than his use of a nursery rhyme that was a poor taste lapse.

Yep, I am growing tired and annoyed by the hand out types that perpetuate racism for selfish reasons and to excuse their own inability to succeed.

JC is far from a horrible person that walks around with the intent to harm or degrade others so why the need to harm or degrade him.

Where did you come up with this pseudo fact that people who are against racist slurs are "hand out types" and their "inability to succeed." I actually know a lot of very successful people ... financially & otherwise... who are against racial slurs.

Telling a few racist jokes now and then in private with friends is very common practice ... with all races ... but to do it twice on an internationally broadcast TV show for millions to hear is a really stupid thing to do. And I think it's stupid of BBC not to fire him.

Spelling.

I think he did it because he can't help himself.

No, actually me calling you an idiot based on my perception of a specific situation would be an example "can't help" oneself. Letting a nursery rune slip that is burned into the conscious and not directed at any specific situation is not a deep seeded racism finally escaping because he could no longer hold it back.

Why the condemnation as opposed to forgiveness and efforts to understand? Why, because racism is now perpetuated more by envy than stereotypes and apparently some envy JC.

Edited by F430murci

Spelling.

You prove my point precisely and your trying to argue he did it intentionally, based only on your desire to create controversy or hard feelings, demonstrates where the problem and true racism really resides.

I have no desire to create controversy or hard feelings at all. That's Clarkson's raison d'être. That's what he does for a living. He just overstepped the mark and he's paying the price for his stupidity.

You still haven't told me how anyone could use the word 'nigger' in a context that any civilised person would find acceptable nor have you answered my question as to why he chose to use that particular rhyme at all.

As I said he earns his living by this sort of behaviour

According to BBC's recent warning, if he doesn't change his ways, he won't be earning his living this way anymore ... at least, not at BBC.

Edited by HerbalEd

As I said he earns his living by this sort of behaviour

Oh my, he is such an awful, reprehensible person. A true disgrace to the human race . . . That's the best they can come up with over how many years and how many episodes??? If you are bothered by what he says or do not find it humorous, don't watch. Once again, we have the outliers trying to impose their values, beliefs or over sensitiveness upon everyone else.

I am a car guy and know one of the stigs from my track/formula ford days, but I have only watched a handful of episodes generally based on cars I owned or wanted to buy. I don't watch Top Gear as I do not get British humor. I think all three of those guys are annoying, but they are certainly not offensive, bad people that should lose their jobs.

There is so much in the world worth being troubled about and this is simply not one of those things. Now, I get that thing with that red-neck racist basket ball coach as he does not seem like a decent person. I just don't get that vibe with JC or the Top Gear guys who just seem like fun loving doofuses that actually mean no harm.

Oh my, he is such an awful, reprehensible person. A true disgrace to the human race . . . That's the best they can come up with over how many years and how many episodes??? If you are bothered by what he says or do not find it humorous, don't watch. Once again, we have the outliers trying to impose their values, beliefs or over sensitiveness upon everyone else.

I am a car guy and know one of the stigs from my track/formula ford days, but I have only watched a handful of episodes generally based on cars I owned or wanted to buy. I don't watch Top Gear as I do not get British humor. I think all three of those guys are annoying, but they are certainly not offensive, bad people that should lose their jobs.

There is so much in the world worth being troubled about and this is simply not one of those things. Now, I get that thing with that red-neck racist basket ball coach as he does not seem like a decent person. I just don't get that vibe with JC or the Top Gear guys who just seem like fun loving doofuses that actually mean no harm.

I see you've managed to avoid answering my questions again.

it turns out Elvis costello uses the word ok , but not jezza

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2620302/SEBASTIAN-SHAKESPEARE-BBC-forbidden-word-OK-Elvis-Costello-not-Jeremy-Clarkson.html

With the furore escalating over Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson’s alleged use of the N-word, the BBC is now being accused of double standards.

It transpires that the song Oliver’s Army, by Elvis Costello, still features on the playlist at Radios 2 and 6, as well as 40 local BBC stations.

On Oliver’s Army, which has been broadcast in full ‘thousands’ of times since it was released in 1979, Costello sings ‘One more widow, one less white n****r’.

Edited by 3NUMBAS

What question? If there was a question, then why did you delete it from this post?

Spelling.

I have no desire to create controversy or hard feelings at all. That's Clarkson's raison d'être. That's what he does for a living. He just overstepped the mark and he's paying the price for his stupidity.

You still haven't told me how anyone could use the word 'nigger' in a context that any civilised person would find acceptable nor have you answered my question as to why he chose to use that particular rhyme at all.

Oh this question. Fact is, I would cringe if I had heard him say that nursery rhyme and I would have felt it inappropriate. Nevertheless, I would have viewed it as if he made a mistake and did not mean anything harmful by it and it was not directed at anyone.

People like you want to make it into something racist and bigger than what it really is. Your example illustrates this clearly.

You attempt to equate a dumb arse, who was perhaps drunk at the time, letting it slip out in a nursery rhyme to someone walking up to a person on the street and personally directing the word toward someone out of hate or to intentionally hurt that person. I feel sad for you if you cannot see the difference.

What question? If there was a question, then why did you delete it from this post?

"You still haven't told me how anyone could use the word 'nigger' in a context that any civilised person would find acceptable nor have you answered my question as to why he chose to use that particular rhyme at all. "

There you go.

Oh this question. Fact is, I would cringe if I had heard him say that nursery rhyme and I would have felt it inappropriate. Nevertheless, I would have viewed it as if he made a mistake and did not mean anything harmful by it and it was not directed at anyone.

People like you want to make it into something racist and bigger than what it really is. Your example illustrates this clearly.

You attempt to equate a dumb arse, who was perhaps drunk at the time, letting it slip out in a nursery rhyme to someone walking up to a person on the street and personally directing the word toward someone out of hate or to intentionally hurt that person. I feel sad for you if you cannot see the difference.

I live in the UK. I watch Top Gear most weekends because I, like you, am interested in cars. Unfortunately there are no other car programmes on UK TV so I have no choice.

I see and read about Clarkson's antics on a much more regular basis that you. He writes columns in a number of UK newspapers where he makes the same sort of derogatory remarks about all sorts of groups. He's not a dumb arse, he wasn't drunk. It's part of his schtick.

He makes these 'mistakes' on a regular basis in order to appeal to a specific audience who think the whole world's gone mad because they're no longer allowed to get away with their bigotry without being called on it. They probably don't realise they're doing it but Clarkson certainly does. That's how he makes his living. It's just that he pushed it a bit too far this time.

He might want to ponder on Galatians 6:7 before he opens his mouth again.

• Like 2

I don't know if Jeremy Clarkson is a racist. He is however an accomplished entertainer who knows his audience. If this thread and the other thread on JC are anything to go by, his audience has a large racist contingent. He could just be playing to his audience because he's aware which side his bread is buttered.

The various insensitive comments here are understandable because racists aren't racist in their own minds. Hence the shocked looks when others accuse them. To help these people out, I've prepared the following partial list.

How to tell if you're probably a racist:

If you've ever used the phrase "I don't care if you're black, white yellow or green"

If, when you're referring to an entire subset of humans and preface that subset with "the" for example, "The Thai" as in "lemme tell you something about The Thai..."

If you think freedom of speech means freedom to denigrate based purely on race or ethnicity.

If you feel the need to tell people you have black/Indian/Thai/white/Filipino friends.

If you equate the promotion of human decency and mutual respect in the public sphere as "political correctness gone mad"

If you think Jeremy Clarkson didn't make any racist remarks.

On the other hand, if you're genuinely puzzled as to why the 'N' word is offensive, you're just ignorant of history and not necessarily racist.

I hope this helps, because some of you guys really need help.

You're welcome.

T

Some of this is ridiculous and nothing more than veiled attempt at placing oneself on a moral high ground above others. Is that not the ideology behind racism. Congrats, you suffer from the same condition for which you condemn others . . . and then we have the psycho bible verse God babble from Susteno . . . OHHHH, watch out JC because God is going to strike you down. That would be one messed up God to strike down someone like JC, yet prop up so many people that do actual and real harm to others on a grander scale.

Peace, love tolerance and forgiveness. What eve happened to that. Nope, you guys wanna play judge and executioner and condemn people, with whom you dis like or disagree, to suffering . . . and you wanna take the moral high ground and spout biblical verses. Too funny.

The concept of freedom of speech is widely misunderstood to apply to cases like this in which someone gets fired or punished by their employer for something stupid that they said.

That is not a violation of their freedom of speech. If anything it is a violation of the terms of their employment. Or perhaps it's something that will damage the reputation of their employer in some way.

The Clarkson incident is just like the flap over the comments by LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling. The NBA issued a lifetime ban on his ever being associated with the team or the league, and will try to force him to sell the team. None of that punishment constitutes a violation of his freedom of speech. It's purely the consequences of the effect of his words on the economic interests of the organization he was a member of.

Freedom of speech is all about preventing governmental retribution against someone for something that they said.

The N word is only for the N's. that's a joke to me. if they say it it's cool, when we do it's racism. what a load of...get over it people of colour...those days are gone

And isn't it odd that the only ones penalized for making a racist remark are the Anglos. Funny how that works. coffee1.gif

Edited by Loptr
  • Like 1

I don't know if Jeremy Clarkson is a racist. He is however an accomplished entertainer who knows his audience. If this thread and the other thread on JC are anything to go by, his audience has a large racist contingent. He could just be playing to his audience because he's aware which side his bread is buttered.

The various insensitive comments here are understandable because racists aren't racist in their own minds. Hence the shocked looks when others accuse them. To help these people out, I've prepared the following partial list.

How to tell if you're probably a racist:

If you've ever used the phrase "I don't care if you're black, white yellow or green"

If, when you're referring to an entire subset of humans and preface that subset with "the" for example, "The Thai" as in "lemme tell you something about The Thai..."

If you think freedom of speech means freedom to denigrate based purely on race or ethnicity.

If you feel the need to tell people you have black/Indian/Thai/white/Filipino friends.

If you equate the promotion of human decency and mutual respect in the public sphere as "political correctness gone mad"

If you think Jeremy Clarkson didn't make any racist remarks.

On the other hand, if you're genuinely puzzled as to why the 'N' word is offensive, you're just ignorant of history and not necessarily racist.

I hope this helps, because some of you guys really need help.

You're welcome.

T

Some of this is ridiculous and nothing more than veiled attempt at placing oneself on a moral high ground above others. Is that not the ideology behind racism. Congrats, you suffer from the same condition for which you condemn others . . . and then we have the psycho bible verse God babble from Susteno . . .

"for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap" - not much psycho babble there and please stop trying to compare JC to with others. He tried it on and didn't get away with it. He's getting the kickback. I'd love him to lose his job for the purely selfish reason that if he goes we might get someone presenting Top Gear who actually knows something about cars.