Plant identification ( Big and smells )

I saw this plant growing wild on our land so I dug it up and planted it in a pot , I then watered it and left it over night . The next morning the bad smell coming from the plant was overwhelming and the plant was covered in fly's . I moved the plant in its pot back onto the land and left it there , the next day the bad smell had gone along with all the fly's . This is the plant today .

I have a feeling this plant may be already posted some where here , so any one know about this plant ?

zlxg.jpg

rhl4.jpg

Oh very interesting !

Glad to get the correct name.... thumbsup.gif (I thought Arum, as there is a similar plant native to Indonesia, with larger flower) ....

It is not an uncommon plant, but it apparently only blooms every five to seven years ..... so I guess why we don't see it often! (has anyone seen it blooming more often?)

This is the green growth of the plant, which is seen in many wilder areas of Samui and Koh Phangan.... but one would rarely see the bloom...

This is on Samui.... last year...

IMG_7034.JPG

Found blooming in July here! (only two, despite there being many plants in the area....

IMG_4018.JPG

After the flower died off, this appeared

SAM_0728.JPG

and became like this fairly quickly...

This lasted until about January, then flopped over.... but the root is still in the pot... thumbsup.gif... I am still waiting to see what happens! wink.png

IMG_7170.CR2.jpg

It's a bit like Raffleasia, with the smell, this is to attract insects and eat them!

This is the Indonesian type, it just happened to be on the news about the time this was found.... that was were I got the name Arum, from.... Looks like from UK Sky News!

A Botanical garden some where in the USA!

SAM_0036.JPG

SAM_0035.JPG

Edited by samuijimmy

• 1 month later...

My one I got last year is coming into bloom again.... I am quite surprised.... I headed up to the area where they grow wild and nothing in sight!

It's in a pot where a few other plants took hold while it was dormant!

I expect a day or two more before fully open! thumbsup.gif

IMG_5867.JPG

Now fully open.... phew! .... what a stink! bah.gif

.... thanks for the correct name! Has anyone else come across this plant this year.....? interesting it is a month earlier than last year.

Amorphophallus paeoniifolius

IMG_5943.CR2.jpg

Edited by samuijimmy