Boarding Kennels

Hillywilly

Hi, as the title suggests we are looking for boarding kennels for our dog as we will be tavelling to Europe for a couple of weeks in the near future.

Have looked at a couple of websites, but they are either out of date or extremely vague .

Does anyone have any personal recommendations and a rough idea of per week pricing ( medium size dog, 1 yr old)

We are in Chiang Mai but dont have any personal transport so Ideally somewhere not too far from the city, but if needs be of course we could arrange to go further I'm sure.

Any recommendations appreciated

Thanks in advance

Personally I prefer a free-range type setup and would recommend Pooch Resort. Quite a lot of dogs in a small area, but they are at least free to do what they want, including sleeping on the guy's bed. Feels very much like a home rather than a business. Website seems to have disappeared so not sure of current status.

Personally I prefer a free-range type setup and would recommend Pooch Resort. Quite a lot of dogs in a small area, but they are at least free to do what they want, including sleeping on the guy's bed. Feels very much like a home rather than a business. Website seems to have disappeared so not sure of current status.

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/hobbies/pets-and-gardening/home-away-from-homepooch-resort-cage-free-boarding-268336.html

How about flea and tick control? That is very important. No joke at all. I have not heard good things everywhere about conditions at your old place. How about now, Nienke?

Edited by Mapguy

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/hobbies/pets-and-gardening/home-away-from-homepooch-resort-cage-free-boarding-268336.html

Okay, homey. But it doesn't strike me as very wise.

I also use POOCH RESORT (now located in San Patong). The staff give personal care to all the animals they board. Not only offering a large communal area there is in a shaded area 3 large suites with an equally large dog house for dogs who don't play well with others. I have a 150 lb (68k) German Shepherd dog that is charged with the security of my home when I'm not there and he is not friendly with anything or anyone other than me and my wife. In visiting this past week I saw the new CAT HOUSE and would recommend it to anyone who has a pussy they would like to board while they travel. PM me for contact info.

Okay, homey. But it doesn't strike me as very wise.

Well, there's not exactly a plethora of places to choose from is there?

Seems to be take your pick from any one of two........unless you're in the business?

I know that everyone here says Lucky Dogs but take a look at Bok Maow Pet Hotel http://www.bokkmaowpethotel.com/ your dog would get their own room. We put our chinchilla there whenever we go away. It is super clean, new, with nice staff and friendly english speaking owner. They also have a pick up service. Oh also they have cctv in every room so you can watch your pet whenever you like through your phone (they will set it up for you). We went to Europe for 3 weeks and I felt so relieved since I could look at him even though I was on the other side of the world

I know that everyone here says Lucky Dogs but take a look at Bok Maow Pet Hotel http://www.bokkmaowpethotel.com/ your dog would get their own room. We put our chinchilla there whenever we go away. It is super clean, new, with nice staff and friendly english speaking owner. They also have a pick up service. Oh also they have cctv in every room so you can watch your pet whenever you like through your phone (they will set it up for you). We went to Europe for 3 weeks and I felt so relieved since I could look at him even though I was on the other side of the world

Looks really nice, thanks for the info.

Never understood why people are happy to put their dogs in what are effectively prison cells - brightly painted or otherwise. Small dogs can't even see out of the window.

Some people, my wife is one amongst, believe dogs should live in the same environment as we humans. As a consequence, all our dogs have lived indoor on either parquet or tiled floors.

In our CM house, I built a room (4x5 m) attached to the house which is tiled and with mosquito screens at the windows and an electronic mosquito killer machine. During the day, the doors of the room are open and there's a long stretched tiled floor for them to walk around. They don't like walking on grass or even on cobblestones!

taotoo, please understand I'm not ridiculing what you say; rather, I'm just saying what my wife likes to do. I don't know what's right really. Our dogs live long and seem happy waiting from meal to meal. Oh, taotoo, our's are small breed.

ps: The old Happy Dogs was nice. Nienke is nice. The new place seems even nicer particularly for medium to big size dogs! Ought to drop by at her new place just to say hello.

Well, there we go: so many people, so many preferences.

At LuckyDogs-TH’s current place we have several different set-ups:

1. There are the indoor-outdoor kennels, as can be seen on the picture above, with daily excess to the play-camps for at least 4 hours. And once all 7 play-camps are finished the time spend in these camps per day can be even more. These dog-kennels are used mainly for the bigger dogs, the aggressive ones, those who don’t mix well with other dogs, the Houdini’s, and the multiple dog group from 1 owner.
post-27646-0-45574700-1399649065_thumb.j post-27646-0-47142900-1399649459_thumb.j

2. Dog runs with a similar set-up as in my old place only much larger.

post-27646-0-07759600-1399647096_thumb.j

3. Homey stay, where the dogs have access to my house, sofa, bed and large garden around my house. This is primarily reserved for the very young puppies, dogs with separation anxiety, sensitive dogs, and dogs that need special care.

post-27646-0-85741500-1399647281_thumb.j post-27646-0-43752600-1399647443_thumb.j

post-27646-0-01679000-1399647674_thumb.j post-27646-0-96590200-1399649850_thumb.j

post-27646-0-85406000-1399648423_thumb.j post-27646-0-87708600-1399648732_thumb.j

4. (near-future plan, still needs fencing) 2 to 3 rai sized dog parks, where my and the guest-dogs can roam as well, in addition to their stay in the play-camps.

post-27646-0-49209100-1399647953_thumb.j

5. Large indoor cat-kennels with each their own outside run. (photo's tomorrow. Need to make them first)

6. (near-future plan) 1 or maybe 2 guesthouses with dog pens attached to it for those pet-owners, who come and live in Chiang Mai with their pet/s, to stay with their pet while they search for a suitable house.
post-27646-0-70360400-1399648556_thumb.j

Although, all pets can enjoy freedom to a certain extent, they are not put in situations where they can do whatever they want or go wherever they want. IMHO that is not advisable; it can put a dog in dangerous situations and will not give a dog the feeling of safety it needs.

We also do not have brightly colored rooms, or air-conditioning. We do have a fan in each kennel (which you can call a room if you like). And dogs that do not destroy their bed, have a pillow or blanket to lie on … if they prefer to do so.

I've heard rumours that the Happy Gambol will open again in 2 or 3 months. :)

If I wouldn't have my own place, I would definitely board my dogs there. Very professional couple.
Do not agree with their training method, though.

I have used a couple of places for boarding my dog and would recommend Happy gambol dogs on the way to mai rim.

Nice and clean with air con if needed ,they also have a field that they use for exercise two or three times a day also a swimming pool.

The other place I used in hangdong was cheaper but the quality of care was not so good ,my dog came back covered in fleas.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Pooch Resort is one place I would never leave my dog again

he looked totally underfed, dirty, loads of ticks so lord knows what the guy's bed is like if dogs sleep on it!

it was more stressful picking him up than leaving him!

i can't imagine this place has any sort of license.

will go for one of the other places mentioned

No doubt different people have different experiences. Last time I left my dogs there one of them didn't want to come home with me... no problems with ticks or nourishment either - presumably you use Frontline or similar?

I don't imagine any of them have or require a licence, not that one would count for much anyway - lots of cheap vets have certificates on their walls yet some of them can't even bandage a wound.

Anyway well done to Neinke for giving more info and setting out the arrangements she has at her new shelter, so that people can make an informed choice.

Nienke,

You have been busy! Good luck with all your plans. While my dog is "protected" against fleas and ticks, there has been quite some variation among kennels so far. That's why our interest

Pooch Resort is one place I would never leave my dog again

he looked totally underfed, dirty, loads of ticks so lord knows what the guy's bed is like if dogs sleep on it!

it was more stressful picking him up than leaving him!

i can't imagine this place has any sort of license.

will go for one of the other places mentioned

Why is it you blame the kennel for your dog getting ticks surely when leaving your dog at kennels it is you responsibility to make sure your dog has tick treatment that will keep ticks and flees away. It is so easy to blame someone else for your lack of care for your dog when leaving them at kennels prepare your dog yourself do not blame others for your something you should do