Cyberinspector Gets Smarter?

Whitey

I usually do all of my surfing through my own private proxy server mainly for speed issues. Well earlier today, I came across a cyberinspector page. How is it possible to use a proxy server but still get banned sites? Could it be the cyberinspector has gotten more intelligent and now it is extracting the http request information from the proxy server requests? Never mind, I encrypted the connection between my computer and the proxy server and the problem went away. I was wondering if anyone else has had this same problem.

Could be that your browser is leaking DNS requests as you surf. You might want to try a scrubber program to get around this issue. If you're familiar with Tor, the anonymising program from the Electronic Frontier Foundation (http://tor.eff.org/), Tor uses a program called Privoxy to clean off DNS requests.

I thought about that at first. Could it be doing the DNS without going through the proxy, ie dns tells it to go to cyberinspector. But then I thought again, wouldnt it be doing the same thing if I was sending it through an ssh tunnel or not? Anyways, it has gotten a little more advance. I won't bother using Tor because I have my own server that does the same thing. Privacy seems to be something that is lost.I came to Thailand because I wanted to get away from the controls back home and now I am finding there is even less freedom here, while back home I can complain about it, here I am a farang and all I can do is grin and bear it.

Nah, don't give in! Stick it to the little men in the yellow shirts! Use Tor and have your vengence! Privacy is still possible...if you're willing to put in a little effort to have it.

Edited by Chi Man

It's quite simple to scan any http header, even when routed via a proxy. What cyberinspector does has nothing to do with rerouting DNS queries, which they do not do anyway.

If you think routing traffic via anoymous proxy is safe, you are mistaken. Not only is cyberinspector watching you, but so is whoever runs the proxy. It's a fact that some anon proxies are setup for the purpose of systematically scanning for passwords and other sensitive info. Services like Anonymizer and particularly TOR may also have unknown numbers of people scanning your traffic. The only safe solution is to rent a host somehwere outside Thailand and set up your own encrypted proxy server.

It's quite simple to scan any http header, even when routed via a proxy. What cyberinspector does has nothing to do with rerouting DNS queries, which they do not do anyway.

If you think routing traffic via anoymous proxy is safe, you are mistaken. Not only is cyberinspector watching you, but so is whoever runs the proxy. It's a fact that some anon proxies are setup for the purpose of systematically scanning for passwords and other sensitive info. Services like Anonymizer and particularly TOR may also have unknown numbers of people scanning your traffic. The only safe solution is to rent a host somehwere outside Thailand and set up your own encrypted proxy server.

cheap server for rent is 100-150 US$ per month with virtually unlimited traffic (100-200 GB) at a fast connection.

sure it can handle 100-200 normal internet user (reading/small downloads), not hugh downloads.

Or go with a VPS and have all the advantages of server without all of the overhead. $20 a month gets you a very basic vps running Debian Linux. 15gb of storage. Bandwidth? you get a 1mbps pipe that is unmetered, no risk of bandwidth overage. If you havent looked into a VPS, you should.

Like others have said, Tor still uses other people's servers, something I am never comfortable with. It is a good substitute, but squid with an ssh tunnel handles it all as well and the data is more secure.

Or go with a VPS and have all the advantages of server without all of the overhead. $20 a month gets you a very basic vps running Debian Linux. 15gb of storage. Bandwidth? you get a 1mbps pipe that is unmetered, no risk of bandwidth overage. If you havent looked into a VPS, you should.

Like others have said, Tor still uses other people's servers, something I am never comfortable with. It is a good substitute, but squid with an ssh tunnel handles it all as well and the data is more secure.

1mbps, 20 US$ and unmetered does not exist. Or the real connection is so bad.

I am sure if you are over 300 or maybe 500 GB per month the kick you.

Anonymiser is an encrypted proxy server!!

I just do not want my local isp seeing what I am doing and talking about.

Except on a generic level, as the proxy uses the normal port numbers for different services.

I noticed recently when reading the bla-bla on a normal e-mail that the

local e-mail server had been scanning and picking out certain words.

Edited by astral

Sure, but it's only encrypted until you reach their servers. Do you really trust them NOT to scan your traffic? I sure wouldn't. Let me put it this way, if I was an internet criminal, I'd setup such a service for free, knowing that I could scrape enough credit cards and passwords to more than make up for the cost of supplying the free service.

Sure, but it's only encrypted until you reach their servers. Do you really trust them NOT to scan your traffic? I sure wouldn't. Let me put it this way, if I was an internet criminal, I'd setup such a service for free, knowing that I could scrape enough credit cards and passwords to more than make up for the cost of supplying the free service.

true, but can you trust cyberinspector? especially when the admin that runs it probably earns 5000 baht per month and knows he will never get caught while commiting fraud through a US credit card from Thailand? :o not accusing anyone, just a scenario...

I guess you didn't do the math, if you use a 1mbps link at full use for every second of every day of the month, you will push about 300gb of transfer in a month. So no they won't boot you.

I have been using my provider and I am quite happy with it. Maybe you could go over to webhostingtalk and check out their vps offers.

I guess you didn't do the math, if you use a 1mbps link at full use for every second of every day of the month, you will push about 300gb of transfer in a month. So no they won't boot you.

I have been using my provider and I am quite happy with it. Maybe you could go over to webhostingtalk and check out their vps offers.

yes you are right I read 1mbps but my brain processed 1 gbps.....

So you are of course right and somehow my visuell processing has a bug.......

I'll update myself to human 1.1 :o