Anyone lived in Tenerife on this forum?

I've been in TH for over a decade, and thinking of checking out some other places around the world to live. I've looked at various Central and South American places, but it would basically be pretty similar in that it's a developing or third world country. Mainland Europe is too cold for the Thai Mrs, so I was thinking Tenerife might be worth checking out (looked at Malta too). There is a pretty active forum about Tenerife, but what I'd like to find out is how is life there compared to life in Phuket ( or Thailand in general). Weather seems good there, prices look to be about the same as Phuket, schooling about the same price also for an international school. Language shouldn't be too much of an issue once the Spanish has been revived from a dormant state. Overall it appears to be much more civilized than here, yet still has a beach/island vibe.

I spent a lot of time in Tenerife (and the other Canaries, Lanzarote being my favourite), also Malta and Cyprus, but they are pretty small islands and not for me. I finally settled for southern Spain, close to Malaga, and spent over 12 years there.

OK, it gets a bit chilly in winter (as bad as 4C) but if it wasn't for the Thai wife who can't handle permanent living outside Thailand I would still be there.

It's not easy to find affordable long term rentals in the Canaries, but you can on mainland Spain. Maybe rent a base there and spend your time looking around.

Being islands, everything in the Canaries is imported from mainland Spain and accordingly more expensive, with generally a poorer selection. I do find Spain more affordable for better quality than Thailand.

• Like 1

I have spent several months at various Canary Islands, and in Madeira.

I would definately recommend Madeira, for cost of living, the Madeiran people, the lack of obnoxious tourists, the beautifull old city, flowers, mountain scenery and parks.

And my Thai wife just loves it there, while she was very disappointed with Greece and Tenerife. In her words: too many loso farang there....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Tenerife has its fair share of timeshare, The past 10 years or so has seen a major influx of Africans as its a stepping stone to mainland Europe. Many stay and with that has created problems including crime on a paramount scale. Nice island though

Tenerife is a volcanic island with black sand beaches. Far too many old Brits. Boring unless you spend your time in bars as the Brits do. After 2 weeks you'll be done. The Spanish people there are more of the lazy kind. It is far from everywhere. If you have income, consider the high Spanish tax rate. Go to Montenegro or Albania. Lowest tax rates in Europe, Mediterranean climates, not many tourists and English widely spoken.

Edited by Braddockrd
  • Like 1

I lived in Tenerife for about 6 months and hated nearly every day of it. The only good thing was the weather, but even that gets cold at night during some times of the year.

I stayed in an apartment in Playa de las Americas, and every morning I had to walk around piles of sick, broken bottles and rubbish everywhere. You could not walk anywhere without being hassled by time share touts, shop owners and African hawkers. The beaches were packed with tourists, and attracted even more hawkers. Night time was a cacophony of police sirens, and dogs barking and noisy louts. Oh and prices for almost anything was horrendous, I was there 6 years ago, and every day stuff was roughly 5x todays Thai prices. Oh I forgot to add...There was quite a lot of crime in the area I stayed.

However...Los Gigantes and Masca were nice places to visit, but you really have to watch the roads, especially at night. Some of the local roads are steep with sharp bends and sheer cliff drops.

I spent a lot of time in Tenerife (and the other Canaries, Lanzarote being my favourite), also Malta and Cyprus, but they are pretty small islands and not for me. I finally settled for southern Spain, close to Malaga, and spent over 12 years there.

OK, it gets a bit chilly in winter (as bad as 4C) but if it wasn't for the Thai wife who can't handle permanent living outside Thailand I would still be there.

It's not easy to find affordable long term rentals in the Canaries, but you can on mainland Spain. Maybe rent a base there and spend your time looking around.

Being islands, everything in the Canaries is imported from mainland Spain and accordingly more expensive, with generally a poorer selection. I do find Spain more affordable for better quality than Thailand.

Is it really more affordable? Spain seems so expensive these days. What about food supplies? Internet access? Cell phone service? Cost of gas, imported goods, rents, etc? thanks.

Is it really more affordable? Spain seems so expensive these days. What about food supplies? Internet access? Cell phone service? Cost of gas, imported goods, rents, etc? thanks.

Spain is a place we are also looking at as an alternative to Thailand. We love it there. The problem with islands is everything is more expensive. Has to be due to transport costs. Plus, you can get "island fever". My father use to get that when living in Hawaii.

Interesting about the weather. 4c is pretty cold!

Portugal has recently started courting extensively Euro retirees.

Cheap, good food, friendly people, short drive to Spain and France.

I wouldn't live on an island like Tenerife myself.

Too confined.

Great for a holiday, I'm sure.

I was briefly there when I worked for the summer on a ship that called there and managed to steal a few hours onshore to get drunk and meet the girls.

I was young smile.png LOL

Tenerife is a volcanic island with black sand beaches. Far too many old Brits. Boring unless you spend your time in bars as the Brits do. After 2 weeks you'll be done. The Spanish people there are more of the lazy kind. It is far from everywhere. If you have income, consider the high Spanish tax rate. Go to Montenegro or Albania. Lowest tax rates in Europe, Mediterranean climates, not many tourists and English widely spoken.

The same Albania which produces the second highest number of criminals in Europe (after Britain)? Horse-drawn carts and open sewers? A lovely place for holidays and even better for retirement....But they do make a nice brandy:-)

got my thai lot in the south France ,but it does not come cheap ,thai community,even thai monk ,not sure how he got his job ,but yes goes out with his begging bowl but at 10am ,good health care once you get on the system /good education /police that do there job ,

Thanks for the input. Did all of you that went to Madeira speak Portugese, or is there English spoken there to some degree?

English is spoken by most, except for old people.

PS. There are very cheap flights to and from Western Europe, if you can avoid the peak seasons of Xmas / Easter / july, august.

200 euro will buy you a return flight, if you are very flexible, even less.

The same Albania which produces the second highest number of criminals in Europe (after Britain)? Horse-drawn carts and open sewers? A lovely place for holidays and even better for retirement....But they do make a nice brandy:-)

I guess many here would feel like at home then...safe the gloomy weather

I lived in Tenerife for about 6 months and hated nearly every day of it. The only good thing was the weather, but even that gets cold at night during some times of the year.

I stayed in an apartment in Playa de las Americas, and every morning I had to walk around piles of sick, broken bottles and rubbish everywhere. You could not walk anywhere without being hassled by time share touts, shop owners and African hawkers. The beaches were packed with tourists, and attracted even more hawkers. Night time was a cacophony of police sirens, and dogs barking and noisy louts. Oh and prices for almost anything was horrendous, I was there 6 years ago, and every day stuff was roughly 5x todays Thai prices. Oh I forgot to add...There was quite a lot of crime in the area I stayed.

However...Los Gigantes and Masca were nice places to visit, but you really have to watch the roads, especially at night. Some of the local roads are steep with sharp bends and sheer cliff drops.

So can we take that as a no?

The temperatures in southern Spain in the winter are not that bad - there can be some chilly (5-10 C) nights in January, but the same goes for northern Thailand and Isaan as well.

Food prices are about the same, if you compare local restaturants in Spain and farang bars in Thailand. Drinks are a lot cheaper in Spain - decent wine in a supermarket can be as low as 1 euro per bottle (thats ~40-45 baht) and beer for 15 cents a can (6-7 baht), and bars follow suite so that the drinks are about half the price of what they are in Thailand.

One major advantage for Spain is also that Europeans do not have to hassle with visas, border/immigration runs or work permits. Residency is a rubberstamp after filling the form, you can own land and property, and your home country's system will pick up your medical costs.

Then again, there is something special that drives us year after year to Thailand... tongue.png

Thanks, keep it coming. I wouldn't mind mainland Spain at all, I was just looking for somewhere that didn't get cold ( below 15 if possible). I'm sure not set on Tenerife, it just seemed like the climate was good, it's on the ocean, and the Mrs. could get by on English while learning Spanish. Marbella, Malaga area looks nice for mainland Spain weatherwise.

Basically I'm in the studying phase of where a good place to move the family to would be. Ideally getting out of the 3rd world/developing mentality would be nice, otherwise there's Panama, Fiji, etc. out there.

The temperatures in southern Spain in the winter are not that bad - there can be some chilly (5-10 C) nights in January, but the same goes for northern Thailand and Isaan as well.

Food prices are about the same, if you compare local restaturants in Spain and farang bars in Thailand. Drinks are a lot cheaper in Spain - decent wine in a supermarket can be as low as 1 euro per bottle (thats ~40-45 baht) and beer for 15 cents a can (6-7 baht), and bars follow suite so that the drinks are about half the price of what they are in Thailand.

One major advantage for Spain is also that Europeans do not have to hassle with visas, border/immigration runs or work permits. Residency is a rubberstamp after filling the form, you can own land and property, and your home country's system will pick up your medical costs.

Then again, there is something special that drives us year after year to Thailand... tongue.png

Urgh, trapped on an island? Not unless it is a HUGE one.

Pros, don't forget to add that in the styx the roads are mostly empty in Spain and driving standards - they Have Standards LOL

(Big city roads and driving excepted LOL)

Where we are there are few tourists except for Easter and August and then mainly Spanish visitors.

If hubby is an EEA Member, can get an EEA 90 day visa for Thai wife.

If interested PM me for details - we just did it and now wifey has Spanish resident ID and can go to any Schengen country without visa stuff.

The ID gets renewed every 5 years like the locals have to anyway.

Can work if she wants.

Can own land, property.

Has full health care.

Can have an EIHC Card free for health care when traveling in Europe.

The UK needs a visa and that is not easy for a Thai.

We spend our time half Spain (South East) and the rest Thailand Samut Sakhon

Sure it can get a bit nippy in the deep winter, that's why we will be in Thailand then.

Yes, we are retired LOL best of both worlds....

Best of luck with your decision.