Practical pond design tips

Hi

I'm having fun with my first 2 ponds on our small farm in Kalasin. Part decorative (next to the proposed house site) but also functional - the family's supply of bpla nin and pak bung, as well as generally retaining precious water on our 5 rai (rather than letting it run off totally un-utilised)

Last week big rains severely washed out the banks of both (1 is at the upper end and the other about a metre lower, 100m away at the other end of our land).

The British racing green water has been replaced with calf-poo brown.

We're addressing site drainage issues separately - I was just plain overwhelmed by the volume of water cascading off the road and neighbouring properties and down across our site.

But I also need to think through what to do (probably next dry season) to reshape the pond edges, possibly including planting, forming hard edges, terraces etc so these ponds can develop into lasting & attractive ecosystems.

Pond design references online are largely British or N. American.

I would much appreciate any practical suggestions in terms of planting, edge materials/construction from folk with more local experience and the same objectives with their ponds.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand