Heads up re suspicious activity on Soi 1 mountain road, Maenam

@1130hrs 1km along the road heading towards Lamai I noticed a small gathering of people & slowed down. As I got closer I noticed someone in what passed for police uniform & assumed that there had been an accident and that someone or something (car,bike) had veered off the road. The policeman beckoned me (car) to pull over & stop. At this stage it still wasn't clear what was going on but my assumption was that;

a) I was about to be 'commandeered' for recovery or ambulance duties, or

b ) This was a staged event in order to mug/stitch up whoever stumbled into it.

As I pulled up a young couple (Thai's) who had presumably been stopped on a motorcy (on it's side stand with seat up as I arrived) were allowed to leave. A second person appeared who was older & not in uniform (white T shirt). My reaction at this point would normally be to open the window by no more than 1cm to ask what they were after or to put my foot down but unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to stop my wife opening her door & allowing the first of the pair to rummage through her bag. I stopped him dead at that point & after a few questions we were allowed to proceed. My points for the forum are:

1) This to me appeared to be a mickey mouse VCP staffed by just 2 officers with just half a uniform between them. My wife says they had a bike but that too was unmarked.

2) A lone motorist would be extremely vulnerable in such circumstances. Fortunately I have a dashcam with audio which, unbeknown to them, caught everything.

3) No attempt was made by the officer(?) to formally identify himself.

This could have been normal practice but my suspicions are that it wasn't.

I never stop ,for nobody ,just step on the gas and off i go .

Nobody(who want to stop me ) is able to write down a number plate so quickly,

"stoppers" will not come after you,they don't want to loose time chasing you when they can take

sugar from others passing .

If i cant get away (danger of accident) i will never open any door nor window (because they will try to take

your car keys or your driver license .Hold your driver license against the window on the inside ,never give it out of your hands,

then you are lost and ......coffee1.gif

This is not an advice , its what i do.

Wow, you are such a hard core !

• Like 1

You spoke of normal practice? How can that be defined? The police in Samui are about as rogue as they come. Is there any law and order on Samui? Have you ever had the police handle an investigation with satisfactory results? They are toy police, in the lawless land of Koh Samui. Some aspects of the lawlessness on Samui are pleasant. Keeping those guys out of ones hair is nice. But, the absolute level of abandon that people employ on the roads in Samui is scary. No wonder it is the highest per capita fatality rate in the world! The highest. I see mangled people frequently here. Spoke to a nurse in one of the hospitals and she told me they just wait around for the ambulances to come in with more mangled souls. Is anything done about this? Of course not. This is Samui. The forgotten land.

You spoke of normal practice? How can that be defined?

- More than 2 people.

- Helmets/Hats/Visible insignia/Marked cars or bikes.

- Radio chatter.

- 'Cut offs' front & rear.

All of the above is usually present yet was noticeably absent yesterday.

You spoke of normal practice? How can that be defined? The police in Samui are about as rogue as they come. Is there any law and order on Samui? Have you ever had the police handle an investigation with satisfactory results? They are toy police, in the lawless land of Koh Samui. Some aspects of the lawlessness on Samui are pleasant. Keeping those guys out of ones hair is nice. But, the absolute level of abandon that people employ on the roads in Samui is scary. No wonder it is the highest per capita fatality rate in the world! The highest. I see mangled people frequently here. Spoke to a nurse in one of the hospitals and she told me they just wait around for the ambulances to come in with more mangled souls. Is anything done about this? Of course not. This is Samui. The forgotten land.

Slightly over stated I think on all your points.... IMHO.... facepalm.gif Where do you get these facts from? blink.png

I probably drive more around the island than most.... I don't see these things, except on very rare occasions (I could count on one hand the number of accidents I have seen, none fatal .....) coffee1.gifI am not saying it does not happen..... but..... whistling.gif

• Like 1

There is some truth in your observations, but just to mention my personal experiences with the BIBs here on Samui -

I have never been asked for tea money on Samui (and I have lived here for 14 years). I have had to pay tea money in Bangkok, Hua Hin and Pattaya.

I had a kayak stolen once. I offered a reward and the police got it back for me. The police did not get the reward - that went to the person who found it.

Some electrical items were stolen from a house that I look after. Went to the police - offered a reward (which the police got) and I got the items back.

I am not saying that some police are not corrupt or lazy or whatever, but in my experience - no problems with them here on Samui.

Now Birdman at immigration is another story facepalm.gif

• Like 2

A couple of remarks stood out for me.

"3) No attempt was made by the officer(?) to formally identify himself."

I guess that the police officers on Samui are much more professional and courteous than the ones around Pattaya. I have never had a police officer at a check stop identify himself, formally or informally. It's actually hard impossible to imagine that happening.

Also: "Some electrical items were stolen from a house that I look after. Went to the police - offered a reward (which the police got) and I got the items back."

I hope your not giving them any ideas, if you know what I mean. But seriously, this seems to be the norm in Thailand, and people should stop doing it.

Edited by Brevity

I never stop ,for nobody ,just step on the gas and off i go .

"stoppers" will not come after you,they don't want to loose time chasing you when they can take

sugar from others passing .

If i cant get away (danger of accident) i will never open any door nor window (because they will try to take

your car keys or your driver license .Hold your driver license against the window on the inside ,never give it out of your hands,

then you are lost and ......coffee1.gif

This is not an advice , its what i do.

I notice your username was a gods gift to you.

• Like 1

(I could count on one hand the number of accidents I have seen, none fatal .....)

Are you serious?

I have only been back on Samui 2 months and have witnessed 3 accidents (worst one was where the moto rider (thai) lost control at slow speed and the baby they were holding went flying, also seen the aftermath where rescue services were still on the scene of at least another 4 accidents, all between Chaweng and Lamai on the ring road.

• Like 1

Slightly over stated I think on all your points.... IMHO.... facepalm.gif Where do you get these facts from? blink.png

I probably drive more around the island than most.... I don't see these things, except on very rare occasions (I could count on one hand the number of accidents I have seen, none fatal .....) coffee1.gifI am not saying it does not happen..... but..... whistling.gif

Your comment applies to Thailand in general, regarding Ferang comments, ive never found it that bad and im very Hi Clics too.thumbsup.gif

Edited by Rooo

I guess that the police officers on Samui are much more professional and courteous than the ones around Pattaya. I have never had a police officer at a check stop identify himself, formally or informally. It's actually hard impossible to imagine that happening.

How many in Pattaya (pretty much covered by cameras) were:

- (un)dressed to the point of flagging themselves as bogus?

- alone (until his mate appeared)? &

- 1000m from safety (inc their own) on a deserted road through jungle?

Edited by evadgib

Pretty soon I or Ace of Pop, and other photographers amongst us, won't need to carry our camera around, everything will be on CCTV biggrin.png ..... we'll just get Samui Web Cam to broad cast everything on the island live....whistling.gif

As for driving through the jungle and back roads .... the people one comes across there, are getting on with their work, generally give a smile or wave as you go by.... Not same same some of the bar areas of Chawang and the like! .... there one might have to be a little cautious.... some times.... but same same any bar areas ....

Not to say there aren't occasional incidences else where.....but it is not the norm, as implied.... here or anyway in Thailand even the whole world! ..... facepalm.gif

How many in Pattaya (pretty much covered by cameras) were:

- (un)dressed to the point of flagging themselves as bogus?

- alone (until his mate appeared)? &

- 1000m from safety (inc their own) on a deserted road through jungle?

I'm not saying that I doubt something fishy may have been going on. I was just surprised that you would expect a police officer at a check stop it ID himself. I've never heard of it. It seems there's a big difference between simply not identifying themselves and the type of behaviour described here.

BTW, thanks for taking the time to tells about this possible shake down, even though I don't live there.

• Like 1

Just a couple of things before I leave this one. beatdeadhorse.gif

If you wanted to buy drugs - where are you more likely to meet your supplier. On a busy road in Chaweng, or on a nice quiet road? (I quite often see 'meets' on the quiet roads near me.)

If you were a policemen looking to catch said drug dealers (legitimately or for a shakedown), would you ponce around in all of your regalia and wearing your summer uniform with medals, or would you try and be unobtrusive? White T shirts are almost always worn by BIBs under their uniform.

You may be paranoid evadgib but that does not mean that they are not out to get you! unsure.png

As someone else said - thanks for the heads up anyway. (I bet that you wish you had not started this one! whistling.gif )

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

Could just be a spot check for drugs. wai.gif

We get a few of those in the Plai Laem area. More often than not they just stop young Thais.sad.png

When they see an old fat guy like me they just wave me on. thumbsup.gif

or it could be a scam.facepalm.gif

I have seen them there a far back as Dec of last year. I think it's for drugs or maybe helmets.

Could just be a spot check for drugs. wai.gif

We get a few of those in the Plai Laem area. More often than not they just stop young Thais.sad.png

When they see an old fat guy like me they just wave me on. thumbsup.gif

or it could be a scam.facepalm.gif

I have seen them there a far back as Dec of last year. I think it's for drugs or maybe helmets.

I was up along there late this morning.... not a single sign of anyone, trying to stop traffic!.... never seen b4 either.... Drugs a good possibility ..... whistling.gif Perhaps people coming from that "Full Moon Bar" half way through the road although one never sees any one in there ..... whistling.gif

I think a helmet check along there would not fill the coffers fast enough... as not a huge amount of traffic usually...wink.png.....

Much better for them to do helmet check outside the police station in Maenam, which is usually Thursdays..... (but not always they some times change days thumbsup.gif !)

Removed a post , bringing up a newspaper article with unsubstantiated reporting.

Again Off Topic posts will be removed. If your main aim is to persist in Thai Bashing, do it somewhere else.

Please.

• Like 1

They have moved....

the BIB's where on Soi 5 this morning, just where it meets Soi 4.... Obviously a drug check.... some Thai guy in a pickup was being searched...

I was waved on ... no questions asked! thumbsup.gif

Must be a crack down.... !

Soi One field office abandoned forthe moment! whistling.gifbiggrin.png

SAM_2185.JPG

• Like 1

They have moved....

the BIB's where on Soi 5 this morning, just where it meets Soi 4.... Obviously a drug check.... some Thai guy in a pickup was being searched...

SAM_2185.JPG

Sorry but why would you advertise to anyone where drug monitoring activity are taking place?

They have moved....

Sorry but why would you advertise to anyone where drug monitoring activity are taking place?

Well I doubt those they are after would be following this .... and Soi One same same, I never saw the Soi One checks even though done that road a few times since topic started .... the desk was in a field there, might not have been related...

I suspect they are doing random checks else where too ? ... perhaps a good message that those types are not welcome ....

• Like 1