non-imm o or tourist visa in Penang...

I was wondering which tour companies or guesthouses were best to use for their visa service or if anyone had any experience with any in particular.

Non-imm O single entry would be based on having a thai child. USA passport.

Or in case I must go to the Thai embassy, how to get there from Chulia St or Komtar area.

Thanks.

Any of them should be able to assist you with getting a single entry non-o. Be sure you have their birth certificate and house book with you.

Many people suggest the Banana guest house.

Just back from Penang 2 months ago. Stayed at Mingold. Agents can no longer get NON-O since December according to Mingold staff.. Must go in person. Did myself. Super-friendly service by all, incl. guard. About 50 people there early morning but efficient and fast. Was out and done within an hour. Was even offered a multiple, which I did not need.

The nicest service I have ever had in any consulate. When I picked up passport next day @ 15.00, the guard shook my hand wished me a nice trip back.

By taxi, hard to find the Thai embassy....Was cheap and both ways not cheated. Hope this helps. MS>

Edited by moonseeker

Everyone is asking about a Non O visa based on marriage or supporting a Thai child.

That's fair, but I don't believe that anywhere in South East Asia will give you a Non O visa based on retirement.

Am I wrong about that?

It is my understanding that a Non O, even a single entry based on retirement is not available in S.E. Asia anywhere?

I understood that you can only get one based on marriage to a Thai or for supporting a child in S.E. Asia for some time now.

Please clarify that.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

if your over 50 just about any embassy /consolute ( have not heard of any that will not) will give you a single entry "O" visa which you than extend in country

Now getting a type B requires paperwork in advance

If your applying for marriage or child same as above if you have correct paperwork,

Everyone is asking about a Non O visa based on marriage or supporting a Thai child.

That's fair, but I don't believe that anywhere in South East Asia will give you a Non O visa based on retirement.

Am I wrong about that?

It is my understanding that a Non O, even a single entry based on retirement is not available in S.E. Asia anywhere?

I understood that you can only get one based on marriage to a Thai or for supporting a child in S.E. Asia for some time now.

Please clarify that.

Single entry non-o visas for being 50 or over are available at most nearby embassies and consulates. People get them all the time.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

if your over 50 just about any embassy /consolute ( have not heard of any that will not) will give you a single entry "O" visa which you than extend in country

Now getting a type B requires paperwork in advance

If your applying for marriage or child same as above if you have correct paperwork,

Just back from Penang 2 months ago. Stayed at Mingold. Agents can no longer get NON-O since December according to Mingold staff.. Must go in person. Did myself. Super-friendly service by all, incl. guard. About 50 people there early morning but efficient and fast. Was out and done within an hour. Was even offered a multiple, which I did not need.

The nicest service I have ever had in any consulate. When I picked up passport next day @ 15.00, the guard shook my hand wished me a nice trip back.

By taxi, hard to find the Thai embassy....Was cheap and both ways not cheated. Hope this helps. MS>

Any of them should be able to assist you with getting a single entry non-o. Be sure you have their birth certificate and house book with you.

Many people suggest the Banana guest house.

thanks for these replies. I currently have:

- copy of mother's national ID card signed.

- copy of son's thai birth certificate.

- copy of son's english translation of thai birth certificate.

- copy of my passport

- Two--2 in x 2 in passport photos (got 12 for 150 baht in thailand).

I can get:

- bank statement. I heard that it would to show 150,000 baht or equivalent (does not have to be thai bank).

I don't have:

- house book registration

Do I have enough paperwork to make the [single entry] non-o happen? It appeared that way based on previous reports.

Some additional questions:

- Has anyone taken the public bus to get to the Thai Embassy? Trying to picture a general idea of where it is.

- Do you have to wait until the next day or can you pick up the same day?

- How do you check to see if the embassy will be closed for a holiday? Could not find the penang-specific consulate website.

-----

I made it in late today; stupid disagreement shut down the minivan services from hat yai < > penang. Now you must take mini van to Sadao (about 60 baht), then after cross border, you need to take taxi to Chang-lun (20 riggit/200 baht), then public bus to Alor Setar (Alore-Star) (4.50 ringgit). Then take another coach bus to ButterWorth (11-20 ringgit; they might take baht), then ferry (1.20 ringgit) to GeorgeTown.

May be a good idea to ask taxi to exchange 300-500 baht more to ringgit before going to Chang-lun . More on this in a separate post, but perhaps the train would have been a better option if you can time it ok. Or running from Hat Yai to Pedang Besar, then possibly a local bus or coach bus to Alor Setar and then Penang (have not tried).

Edited by 4evermaat

You may have a problem because you don't have a copy of the house book. That is normally one of the main things they want.

The consulate will be closed on Tuesday the 13th.

It is not possible to get on the consulate website or any other one that is running on the MFA's servers because they are down for maintenance until the 13th.

You may have a problem because you don't have a copy of the house book. That is normally one of the main things they want.

The consulate will be closed on Tuesday the 13th.

It is not possible to get on the consulate website or any other one that is running on the MFA's servers because they are down for maintenance until the 13th.

My name is not in the housebook that I know of. The mother's name is there and I'm not sure if the son's name is there.

Which names have to appear in the housebook? Which pages?

I do happen to have a nearby friend who has a scanner; let me see if I can get in touch.

Does anyone have a map to the Thai embassy in penang?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Your child must be listed in the house book. He is more than likely listed in the same house book as his mother.

You cannot be listed in a house book unless it is a yellow one.

Why don't you contact an agent to handle your application. If I recall correctly it does not cost anymore than 4 trips by taxi to the consulate (it is not an embassy).

Your child must be listed in the house book. He is more than likely listed in the same house book as his mother.

You cannot be listed in a house book unless it is a yellow one.

Why don't you contact an agent to handle your application. If I recall correctly it does not cost anymore than 4 trips by taxi to the consulate (it is not an embassy).

Yes he is. And on that same page, my gf and I are listed as well (only first and middle names), no last names for the parents.

Anyway, paperwork is in at the consulate. Guy at the counter was friendly and I had:

- passport, valid until 2020 or so.

- photocopy of of mother's thai ID; signed

- photocopy of my passport; signed.

- two passport photos (2" x 2")

- photocopy of son's thai birth certificate, signed by both parents

- photocopy of tambien baan (housebook), page 1 with address of land plot and the page with son's name. The page images were small enough to fit both images on one A4 page for the photocopy. Signed by both parents.

- photocopy of bank statement from a foreign bank (not a thai bank) showing appx $6k USD, which was over the 150k baht recommended by someone. Signed. Only the first page with the account summary was shown.

I didn't take any chances and signed all photocopies with blue ink pen. I didn't show the bank statement at first, and then he asked for it when reviewing the documents.

I will wait until Wed afternoon when I see it in my passport before I make it official. It appeared that he was rejecting people before taking their visa fee, mainly if they did not have proof of adequate funds for certain countries or if they were missing some document. Is it possible for someone to still be denied the visa after the passport has been submitted and complete paperwork taken?

Edited by 4evermaat