Foreign tourist arrivals projection slashed: TAT

webfact

Anyone know the impact of Hitler coming to power had on tourist business for Germany?

a positive one, there had been an unexpected rush of Austrian tourists suddenly flocking to Germany (Bavaria, that was...)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand, past it's sell by date.

One is compelled to ask, why are you here? Or are you just keeping an eye on things from a distance? You know, there are other spots in the world. If this one has lost its allure for you why not move on? Plenty of us still love life here. I could not think of anyplace else I would rather live. Sure, I have my beefs. But they are mostly minor. Overall this place is wonderful.

• Like 2

Anyone know the impact of Hitler coming to power had on tourist business for Germany?

a positive one, there had been an unexpected rush of Austrian tourists suddenly flocking to Germany (Bavaria, that was...)

The German tourist business was much more proactive. The.tourists didn't so much go to Germany as Germany came to them. rolleyes.gif

Just hang Suthep, and tourists will come back,

It is no any other reason but this reincarnation of Hitler has caused the down spiral of the economy and tourism.

Yes ,but what a cleanout of the political system he has achieved, so far , like everything old son, there's pluses and minuses, the tourism sector joined the minus.

What has changed in the system that I missed? If he has cleaned out the system, then why is it he was out on the street in blistering heat today, poor old man? Even the same PEOPLE are in charge after all the kerfuffle at the court a couple of days ago, let alone the system. In fact, the system is exactly the same as it was in 1995 when an MP/minister from Surat Thani was named as Thailand's most corrupt parliamentarian and his corruption caused the downfall of an entire government.

My own view is that The Kamnan is probably the worst street-revolution leader of this century and a long way back into the 20th. He is certainly the least effective, most under-achieving street leader in Thailand since 1932. And I'll toss in credit of 100% for seeing Ms Yingluck's back as a head start to any one who disagrees - even though Suthep's credit is a lot closer to zero than 100.

With "cleanout of the political system" you're going for sarcasm and cynicism, am I right?

I wonder how many of those tourists are defacto residents doing visa runs? Anyone know the impact of Hitler coming to power had on tourist business for Germany?

Quite good initially - the Olympics and all that. Although travel was open to the upper classes, not the masses in those days. Bit like Thailand in that respect.

Although the Nazis were perhaps the first government to institutionalize tourism for the middle and working classes in Strength Through Joy.

One is compelled to ask, why are you here? Or are you just keeping an eye on things from a distance? You know, there are other spots in the world. If this one has lost its allure for you why not move on? Plenty of us still love life here. I could not think of anyplace else I would rather live. Sure, I have my beefs. But they are mostly minor. Overall this place is wonderful.

"Sure, I have my beefs."

Good news. Is it Thai-French, U.S. Grade A or Australian. Quite expensive at the moment.thumbsup.gif

I wonder how many of those tourists are defacto residents doing visa runs? Anyone know the impact of Hitler coming to power had on tourist business for Germany?

Quite good initially - the Olympics and all that. Although travel was open to the upper classes, not the masses in those days. Bit like Thailand in that respect.

and later there came some 6 million visitors most of them russian and american just to visit Berlin about 1945....

Although the Nazis were perhaps the first government to institutionalize tourism for the middle and working classes in Strength Through Joy.

And they did build a great road system.

Well, if your still living here, time to pack your bags and < deleted > off....

More than likely you commenting from another country, so JUST shut your trap.... ????

• Like 1

10 years in Thailand without any problems whatsoever. Living a quiet life here and should be a dream foreigner who only spend the money that comes from abroad, without ever making any trouble for Thai. Europeans do not seem to prefer to be as interesting for the Thai government, but the Russians seem to be VIP. Will no longer be a sponsor for any thai lady with some great immeasurable family who never get enough. My condo is now for sale and should be easy to sell to some rich Russians.

10 years in Thailand without any problems whatsoever. Living a quiet life here and should be a dream foreigner who only spend the money that comes from abroad, without ever making any trouble for Thai. Europeans do not seem to prefer to be as interesting for the Thai government, but the Russians seem to be VIP. Will no longer be a sponsor for any thai lady with some great immeasurable family who never get enough. My condo is now for sale and should be easy to sell to some rich Russians.

Ditto, mine in Jomptien, so good chance to sell to Russians there.

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) says it will adjust the projected figure of foreign visitors this year of 28.4 million down

... to 36.2 million tongue.png

Hang on...just a few weeks ago there was a similar article during the height of the protest movement about arrival projections having been slashed down to 26 million - this after 21 or 22 million arrivals last year. Now they've crept up to 28.4 million?! How come every time they project a downward trend, the numbers keep increasing?! I don't believe this garbage.

"He said the recent bombing in Hat Yai on the Singaporean and Malaysian markets, as well as tourists’ sentiment, particularly Chinese travelers, regarding the 6.3 Richter quake in the North would also be assessed."

What about the 9.9 Richter scale quake in Bangkok the Nation's Capital? Travel insurance denial means many people will opt s they have done already by the looks of things for SAFE HAVENS.

Totally agree and Tats stupid initiatives will not halt the decline,Myanmar if they do it the right way could overtake Thailand as a Tourist destination quite soon,as i said in another thread,what has this country now got to offer that cannot be done better in nieghbouring nations?

Sex. That's the reason 90% come to Thailand in the first place.

Totally agree and Tats stupid initiatives will not halt the decline,Myanmar if they do it the right way could overtake Thailand as a Tourist destination quite soon,as i said in another thread,what has this country now got to offer that cannot be done better in nieghbouring nations?

Sex. That's the reason 90% come to Thailand in the first place.

So 90% come for sex,no way maybe 10% the rest is mostly,now package tourists from russia,throw in some backpackers,chinese tour groups,a few hardy europeans thats about it,as has been stated many times on various blogs about the bar scene it is not what it was and is only going further down,soon los won't even have that to lure in customers.

There are several factors that are contributing to this issue...the most obvious being the political situation but there are several other significant factors as well. One, the Thai culture actually seems to be devolving and their global image is suffering from it. The younger generations are exuding a false confidence to a cocky and offesnsive extent and the extreme superficial nature and values that have apparently developed are the worst I have ever seen anywhere in the world. It is a real turn off. Even my Thai elder friends reflect this same statement. I was in BKK a few weeks ago and met some very nice Chinese tourists that had just arrived in BKK for the first time. They were initially excited abut their trip but after one day of seeing inflated pricesa dn the treatment of the Thais to them, they left and went back. I personally helped them get the cab to the airport. The lack of awareness and respect to other cultures outside of Thailand is also a factor. The more and longer duration in which this occurs the more the rest of the world will take notice. Two, surroubing countries which have retained more of their natural beauty and have been inaccessible of recent times due to rogue governments and conflicts are now moving in positive directions and going to great efforts to campaign with global leaders to encourage international economic agreements. Three, recent inflation and rising costs in Thailand are making tourists turn elsewhere. Another good point was made in these regards in the article about Swedes not vacationing here anymore. The US dollar has decreased in value making the vacation spots of the West that are more desirable than thailand more accessible. Regardless of the impression Thais have, most of the foreigners who vacation here that are not sex pats are not wealthy. They came here for the affordability. This coupled with point three means the tourists will go to the now more desirable countries located just outside of Thailand in all directions. Next, the environmental state of Thailand has gone to Haides in a hand basket which is another HUGE turn off for tourists. I hate to say it, but Thailand is in for darker days ahead, and it extends far beyond the current political crisis. To think the AEC is going to be your saving grace is false as well. The internationl community will go the the cheaper destination with a more manageable work force. Need to educate, and learn to listen or I predict the fall will be swift and severe. I have been in Thailand for two years and even I have seen drastic change. Now, i am only here for one reason, I actually found one of the good girls here and she doesn't want to leave her family...but even she is starting to change her tune in that regard.

Edited by geoman1976
  • Like 2

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) says it will adjust the projected figure of foreign visitors this year of 28.4 million down

... to 36.2 million tongue.png

bogus figures always sound better when there is a decimal point involved

yes the bar scene its just a shadow of its boom years in the 80s and 90s ,most of the pickup dives are gone ,the thermae used to be the best in asia but now farangs are unwelcome in there.

its on its last legs ,the good thing is less sponsors will waste money sending them to crafty bargirls .and the gem stone scammers will hoodwink less gullible tourists .

a major problem is stalls selling sex aids and dildos on open display ,a family cant take their kids around in the evenings in these areas .what an appalling siight to see

Edited by 3NUMBAS

Just hang Suthep, and tourists will come back,

It is no any other reason but this reincarnation of Hitler has caused the down spiral of the economy and tourism.

agree, hitler was also an egotistical maniac

When so many people recognize the situation, and wish ill will upon a population, it's time the offenders take a long look in the mirror. (No pimple popping or self aggrandizing)

I tell all of my friends and others, how beautiful and cheap Laos is....

• Like 1