HRW official urges PCAD to respect media rights

webfact

HRW Official Urges PCAD To Respect Media Rights
By Khaosod English

13996253201399625422l.jpg
PCAD protesters storm the state-owned Channel 3, demanding favourable coverage, 9 May 2014.

13996253201399625486l.jpg

BANGKOK —A senior adviser to the Human Rights Watch has criticised anti-government protesters for intimidating several state-owned media outlets in Bangkok today.

Supporters of the People's Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD) rallied in front of the headquarters of Channel 3, 5, 7, 9, and 11 on Friday to demand the stations cease broadcasting “pro-government” news. PCAD leader Suthep Thaugsuban said the demonstrations are needed to put an end to the “pro-government propaganda” reported by these "mouthpieces" of the state.

But Human Rights Watch adviser Sunai Phasuk said the demonstrators are blatantly intimidating the TV stations and attempting to censor them.

"It's fortunate that the demonstrators have not entered the building yet," Mr. Sunai told Khaosod. "But I am concerned that if the TV station directors or reporters refuse to do what the PCAD wants, there might be trouble."

Mr. Sunai noted that anti-government protesters are known to have assaulted journalists in the past, which a number of human rights organisations, including the United Nations, has criticized.

"Therefore, the Human Rights Watch would like the PCAD to refrain from pressuring and threatening the media ... and the PCAD should promise that they will not resort to violence against the media again," said Mr. Sunai.

He also urged all media associations, newspapers, and other news outlets in Thailand to publish editorials that explicitly call for all sides of the political conflict to respect the freedom of the press.

In a press conference today, a deputy spokesperson of the ruling Pheu Thai Party accused Mr. Suthep of besieging the state-owned TV stations in order to provoke violence and pave the way for a military coup.

"At this moment, every faction in the society should unite and oppose Mr. Suthep's attempt at seizing power from the caretaker government," said the Pheu Thai spokesman, Anusorn Eiamsa-ard.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1399625320

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-05-09

PCAD aren't interested in media rights, democracy, checks and balances, civilian lives, civil society, they are only and exclusively interested in pursuing their selfish, irrational, hate driven agenda.

You should be banned for inciting problems on near every post--as they provoke-because they are OTT. Clearly your posts are not just normal replies.

• Like 1

Where were they when the red shirts burned down channel 3 building in rama 4 in 2010? different media rights story then huh?.......................coffee1.gif

Edited by love1012

PCAD aren't interested in media rights, democracy, checks and balances, civilian lives, civil society, they are only and exclusively interested in pursuing their selfish, irrational, hate driven agenda.

You should be banned for inciting problems on near every post--as they provoke-because they are OTT. Clearly your posts are not just normal replies.

you should be banned for stalking and incessant whining whenever someone posts something you don't like.

take a teaspoon of cement and harden up for gods sake

NO!!!.........He's right..............Your constant trolling DOES grate on people

I like the the police are protecting this place, as they should be regardless of who owns the place of business. What I find a bit strange is the police sheilds have the word POLICE in english and not thai.

Every thought this may all be for the international media

Definately not for Thai speaking Thais

Freedom of speech in this country is already a joke, today we reached another level.

Congratulations to protest leaders... (I am being sarcastic, for who did not get it).

All sensible Thai's want free speech

But Freedom of speech for a media outlet must flow both ways

If they make a statement there must be a right of reply under the Free speech symbol

This is not all about freedom of speech for only 1 side

Sorry I apoligise this is Thaskins PTP governement

There is only 1 side

No democratic government, No democratic Elections

Why

Unter the Thaskin Dictatorship freedom of speech is only aloud if it is there r the red shirt way

Do un to others as you would have other do unto you

Sorry I think you make a mistake in your posting

Correct on your behalf

As already ruled by the Thai courts

The PTP and Red shirts aren't interested in media rights, democracy, checks and balances, civilian lives, civil society, they are only and exclusively interested in pursuing their selfish, irrational, hate driven agenda of filling their bank accounts

• Like 1

Sorry I think you made a mistake when posting your message

I think you meant

Thaskin and PTP are not interested in media rights, democracy, checks and balances, civilian lives, civil society, they are only and exclusively interested in pursuing their selfish, irrational, hate driven agendato but more money in thir Bank acoount

Proof ........ Conviction for same in Thai High Courts

Please remember For every reaction there can be an equal re action

you should be banned for stalking and incessant whining whenever someone posts something you don't like.

take a teaspoon of cement and harden up for gods sake

sorry you made this reply after saying you want freedom of speech

It is okay for you to say your opinion

but when another member of TVF has an opinion he is whinnging

I rest my case

Freedom of speech in this country is already a joke, today we reached another level.

Congratulations to protest leaders... (I am being sarcastic, for who did not get it).

And worse than you think....they get it from both sides

CAPO threatens to take legal actions against TV stations that broadcast PDRC's announcements
May 9, 2014 4:46 pm
The Centre for Administration of Peace and Order Friday issued an order prohibiting the directors of TV stations from broadcasting statements of the People's Democratic Reform Committee.

The CAPO said in its latest statement that the directors of TV stations would face both criminal and civil lawsuits if their stations are seen as assisting the PDRC.

The CAPO said it had to issue the order because the PDRC had tried to force directors and management of Channels 3, 5, 7, 9 and NBT to broadcast its statements.

The CAPO said the PDRC leaders are facing charges and some of them are accused of being terrorists so the TV stations are not allowed to assist them.

The Nation

• Like 1

Correct on your behalf

The PTP and Red shirts aren't interested in media rights, democracy, checks and balances, civilian lives, civil society, they are only and exclusively interested in pursuing their selfish, irrational, hate driven agenda of filling their bank accounts

So you vote them out. Not a tricky concept for most but a quantum intellectual leap for many on these forums. And before you repeat the chants, there are now three independent studies which have given the last election a pretty clean bill of health when it comes to so called vote buying and electoral malfeasance on the part of PT, the most recent having come out of Australia last week (google is your friend). The problem you face is that overwhelmingly it's been shown that this government was elected in an election that was the most democratic and the cleanest in Thai history.

Are large parts of the Thai infrastructure broken? Yes indeed, and it needs urgent attention from the Kangaroo Constitutional Court downwards. So who to do that? Suthep? A man tagged by the US as the most corrupt politician in the last Thai government, with all sorts of ties to organised crime and one who has decided that he is the sovereign decider of Thailand's future. Only a fool would wish to put put the future of a nation in his hands.

Thailand's reforms must emanate from the people and as much as you may hate the truth, the people are still with PT and seem willing to place their trust in them as a preference over Suthep or the Dems.

So you try to create a democracy first rather than do an election which doesn't solve anything.

BTW the people do not seem to be ready for reforms. Most Thais love corruption as a way to get around difficulties. Some Thai like to be in politics as it's so 'rewarding'. Some education seems to be in order.

In the meantime, in another part of the galaxy:

CAPO threatens to take legal actions against TV stations that broadcast PDRC's announcements

The Centre for Administration of Peace and Order Friday issued an order prohibiting the directors of TV stations from broadcasting statements of the People's Democratic Reform Committee.

The CAPO said in its latest statement that the directors of TV stations would face both criminal and civil lawsuits if their stations are seen as assisting the PDRC.

The CAPO said it had to issue the order because the PDRC had tried to force directors and management of Channels 3, 5, 7, 9 and NBT to broadcast its statements.

The CAPO said the PDRC leaders are facing charges and some of them are accused of being terrorists so the TV stations are not allowed to assist them.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/CAPO-threatens-to-take-legal-actions-against-TV-st-30233283.html

#respectmyarse !!

Edited by MGP
  • Like 1

Sort of, like YOU.

• Like 2

I think that it most ironic after all the whining and wailing about the foreign media presenting a biased view of events in Thailand, this is the second time that the PDRC/PCAD has initiated a campaign of intimidation against Thai TV journalists. Who will be next?

• Like 1

" It's fortunate that the demonstrators have not entered the building yet "

Khaosod - now that it's been established that not one person entered any of these buildings, how exactly can people achieve " storming " without entering a building ? Is the picture you provided supposed to be a representation of " storming " ? This was a visit to TV stations that involved nothing other than speeches outside of the buildings. And your camera records that they were peaceful. You may recall, Khaosod, when the UDD encased the NACC in cement. Out of curiosity, how did that rank on your scale of " storming " ? Why is your inimitable vocabulary never used on the UDD ? ( We all know the answer, of course, but it was still worth asking. )

All sensible Thai's want free speech

But Freedom of speech for a media outlet must flow both ways

If they make a statement there must be a right of reply under the Free speech symbol

This is not all about freedom of speech for only 1 side

Sorry I apoligise this is Thaskins PTP governement

There is only 1 side

No democratic government, No democratic Elections

Why

Unter the Thaskin Dictatorship freedom of speech is only aloud if it is there r the red shirt way

Do un to others as you would have other do unto you

Did you read my post before rush to stomp on keyboard?

The Nation

Democracy? Freedom of speech? A far far dream in Thailand... And is getting further by the day...

Correct on your behalf

You should be well aware that the same idiotic behavior is on both sides, no one excluded. They both are just showing that they spit on democracy and Thai people rights. If you dream that one side is the bad and the other are the goods, you are far away from a balanced view.

The Nation

and the PTP call this democracy

The right of Free speech

the worst part here is there are many people on TVF who believe this BS and support them

Edited by tezzainoz

Banned? So you want to censor free speech too it seems. He's 100% right. It's ironic when the so called champions of democracy like Suthep and his mindless camp followers (and no I'm not meaning you necessarily before you get worked up) are advocating the suspension of a basic democratic right.

There comes a point (and it came a while back) when "normal" person who cares about Thailand has walked away from this scumbag, his thugs, his maniacal self assumption of sovereignty, and his ludicrous claims to be working for "the people".

My wife and her friend walked away from Suthep when he achieved for her what she protested for

Get rid of Yingluck and Thakin dictatorship

So she says he was a great leader with out him Thailand would still be run by a corrupt mob

So now it should be all over

But with PTP refusing to obey the Thai high court, it seems it all on again

seems to me that the PTP bring on all their own problems

why not do the right thing and run Thailand for thais and not for there bank accounts

Can you not see the Suthep lives on the stupid things this government do

with out this so called Government

Suthep can not survive

• Like 1

Correct on your behalf

You should be well aware that the same idiotic behavior is on both sides, no one excluded. They both are just showing that they spit on democracy and Thai people rights. If you dream that one side is the bad and the other are the goods, you are far away from a balanced view.

Freedom of Thai people to choose a Government for the people

that means freedom of speech

As I not hold the iron fist biased, like many members here

You will get no arguement from me on your last posting

We are not in the Suthep Fan club ever

We are for the freedom of Thai people to choose a Government for the people

not for their bank books, and that goes for both sides