Do's and Don'ts of Thailand ... simplified guide for newbies

David48

You lost the game there. I made the same rules and now I don't need to drive around any family members anymore biggrin.png

That is also, albeit a bit extreme, an effective solution to not driving family members around ;-)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one that wants to strangle this idiot?

same same. This chick doesn't know if she wants to be philo, yank or Thai and what she points out are pretty much givens as for anyone that has common sense and does any research before travelling to a foreign country, could think of a thousand other things that would enlighten people about the do's and don'ts of thailand.

Wannabe famous I suspect.

Nonsense..... First of all , what i am about to say goes for 80 % of the people i met here. The other 20% are exused.

But it´s all senseless pride and a selfcentered point of view in the people´s minds here. That's your problem, people of Thailand, not mine. Being all offended for BS reasons, and at the same time doing all sorts of things that make you lose face, but being too ignorant to see it.

You solve your problems yourself...don't reflect it on others, like you do so well over here. . i´ve heard a thousand exuses already for not doing what you are supposed to be doing.

Buddhism is ok. How buddhism is practiced in Thailand? Not sure about that one. Guess that´s the same as back home. Many say they are christian, but only few live to it.

Not being able to hear things that are better in another country....? ignorance! Guess i only agree with the shoes of and not touching the head.

<deleted>

But like some others said before. Just because i live here does not mean i should adapt your doings.

Knowing the people i know here and having experienced their actions, promises, behaviour, ideas. respect for people, animals and nature etc. etc.

My respect gets smaller by the day.

I know, now i will get a shtstorm of replies, op people telling me to fck off and what not.

BUT.. 1 thing i learned from the Thai and adapted it in order to get by here and blend in perfectly.. I only care about me and my own. The rest can.........

if i´ve seen anything here, that´s the most clear one!

peace to the 20%, wich i am sure all of you readers are...

Edited by Tywais
Royal family

So there you are. So remember do not criticise by saying Thai kids don't read enough or Thai drivers aren't the best or their police aren't as good as those at home and remember all Thais are good Buddhists so don't offer to buy any of them a drink in a bar. thumbsup.gif

So there you are. So remember do not criticise by saying Thai kids don't read enough or Thai drivers aren't the best or their police aren't as good as those at home and remember all Thais are good Buddhists so don't offer to buy any of them a drink in a bar. thumbsup.gif

One of the Five Precepts in Buddhism warns against taking intoxicants causing heedlessness. But since these are precepts and not commandments, every Buddhist has to approach them in their own way. Some Buddhists refrain from alcohol and drugs altogether, and some are casual/social drinkers.

Nonsense..... First of all , what i am about to say goes for 80 % of the people i met here. The other 20% are exused.

But it´s all senseless pride and a selfcentered point of view in the people´s minds here. That's your problem, people of Thailand, not mine. Being all offended for BS reasons, and at the same time doing all sorts of things that make you lose face, but being too ignorant to see it.

You solve your problems yourself...don't reflect it on others, like you do so well over here. . i´ve heard a thousand exuses already for not doing what you are supposed to be doing.

Buddhism is ok. How buddhism is practiced in Thailand? Not sure about that one. Guess that´s the same as back home. Many say they are christian, but only few live to it.

Not being able to hear things that are better in another country....? ignorance! Guess i only agree with the shoes of and not touching the head.

<deleted>

But like some others said before. Just because i live here does not mean i should adapt your doings.

Knowing the people i know here and having experienced their actions, promises, behaviour, ideas. respect for people, animals and nature etc. etc.

My respect gets smaller by the day.

I know, now i will get a shtstorm of replies, op people telling me to fck off and what not.

BUT.. 1 thing i learned from the Thai and adapted it in order to get by here and blend in perfectly.. I only care about me and my own. The rest can.........

if i´ve seen anything here, that´s the most clear one!

peace to the 20%, wich i am sure all of you readers are...

wow. Not even really sure what all that means. That was pretty incoherent. You seem to be a pretty miserable sort of person and that's fine but maybe keep it to yourself? It'd be appreciated if you didn't cast such a wide net with your generalizations about Thais...and foreigners

• Like 1

they cant drink? you better learn something about buddhism before you make statements like that.

The Girl in that video - despite being an informative wee lass - looks to me like a born n bred American and a slightly annoying one at that!

It seems a common trait amonst the Phillies I've met ... a USA accent.

I posted it, but have no idea where she comes from.

The Girl in that video - despite being an informative wee lass - looks to me like a born n bred American and a slightly annoying one at that!

It seems a common trait amonst the Phillies I've met ... a USA accent.

I posted it, but have no idea where she comes from.

she's yank alright but one of those who reverts back to her native cultural personality when called for which for me is pretty annoying, be straight up with who you are I say

I think there is some very basic tips for new comers to Thailand, the usual everyday knockers but they are always going to be a pain in the a... and yes I believe she is Pinoy but it does not matter, she presented it well

My advice is don't go up to a traffic cop in his tight uniform while dressed as a construction worker, sailor or leather biker and commence to strut your funky stuff while singing " Macho Man" or "In The Navy" and commanding him to " Dance Somchai!"

Apparently they don't like that for some reason.....

• Like 1

I enjoy the lack of yelling in public as far as the feet thing only issue there is finding shoes my size not to many size 13's here and fan issue solved got one with remote lol, But be nice if there could teach the Indians here to cut back on the curry. Oh great too if french chicks could shave there underarms

My advice is Dont

1. dont involve yourself with Thai men in situations where you are likely to disagree with them or be better than them at some task (even sport)

2. dont react to the constant smiles that you will observe. they are rarely genuine or reflect what you would think.

3. don't forget that you have entered into a fully undeveloped country even though the malls look nice and there are some good hotels (think North Korea or Afghanistan with perhaps better looking people)

4. dont forget that you have your own culture which is very likely superior in many ways. its fine to be mindful of thai culture but dont think you have to betray your own all the time

Do

1. treat thai people with complete detachment - and never expect more from them

2. remember at all times that thai culture dictates that in interacting with you they are highly encouraged to tell you exactly what they think you want to hear to make you feel good or let down your guard (things are rarely what they seem)

3. try your best to limit your interaction with thais to controlled situation (buying food, going to work if an expat, etc. Try not to have too many thai people in your life as it increases your risk)

Regarding lists or advice on what to do and what not to do in The Kingdom, from near the ending screenplay of The Wizard of Oz (1939)

DOROTHY: Oh, will you help me? Can you help me?

GLINDA: You don't need to be helped any longer. You've always had the power to go back to Kansas.

DOROTHY: I have?

SCARECROW: Then why didn't you tell her before?

GLINDA: Because she wouldn't have believed me. She had to learn it for herself.

• Like 2

My advice is Dont

1. dont involve yourself with Thai men in situations where you are likely to disagree with them or be better than them at some task (even sport)

2. dont react to the constant smiles that you will observe. they are rarely genuine or reflect what you would think.

3. don't forget that you have entered into a fully undeveloped country even though the malls look nice and there are some good hotels (think North Korea or Afghanistan with perhaps better looking people)

4. dont forget that you have your own culture which is very likely superior in many ways. its fine to be mindful of thai culture but dont think you have to betray your own all the time

Do

1. treat thai people with complete detachment - and never expect more from them

2. remember at all times that thai culture dictates that in interacting with you they are highly encouraged to tell you exactly what they think you want to hear to make you feel good or let down your guard (things are rarely what they seem)

3. try your best to limit your interaction with thais to controlled situation (buying food, going to work if an expat, etc. Try not to have too many thai people in your life as it increases your risk)

You're being sarcastic right?

I would say just be yourself (unless you are a complete jerk)

Most Thai people in big cities or tourist areas don't care that foreigners are a bit different and most Thai people in the countryside don't care about anything

• Like 1

My advise:

don't shower with kisses no-one, if you are drunk in party. If you take my advise you will avoid to kiss a man (even in lady clothes).

Why I didn't get this advise in-time .... ???

• Like 1

sorry, but the don't touch the head seems to be a bit outdated. Apart that you usually never touch the head of strangers, not in Thailand nor in your one country, you should take a look at thai people. They very often touch the head of others. From friends, partners and also from kids they know just a couple of minutes. I see this every time and vety often, when I am in Thailand.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

• Like 1