Looking for great campsites near Chiang Mai

thecubbages

My wife and I are planning a 5 day retreat and team building training for about 20-25 people. We would like to shoot for about January 5-10, 2015.

We are looking for information on good campsites that might be able to host us in the Chiang Mai area.

We are looking for the following:

1.) A nice private campsite that has plenty of open space (for activities and team building games)

We have been thinking about camping at Doi Inthanon National Park but it seems that their campsites will be very crowded and will not allow us a lot of privacy. We have also considered Ob Luang National Park, Doi Suthep, and Mae Ping National Park. Does anyone have any experience with campgrounds in these areas?

2.) A place that can rent out the equipment (ie: sleeping bags, tents, etc.)

3.) Proximity to whitewater rafting or adventure sports would be a plus

Thank you

Ben

Doi Inthanon has a very pretty campsite near the HQ, a fair way up the mountain. It does get crowded in January though. Also pretty cold at night there at that time of year. I was there in January and it got down to a few degrees above freezing at night. We stayed at Mr Daeng's and he had someone camping there as well. There would be room for a dozen small tents I would say. near the Park HQ. Nice tribal village with good food there.

Another thought might be Mallee's at Chiang Dao. I think she still has a dormitory and hires out tents. Big place for the birdwatchers.

Most of the national parks campsites will be crowded at that time of the year. Probably better to look at the places that cater for school "boy scout" camps around Chiang Mai.

An example would be http://www.chiangmaiadventureland.com/

I have no connections with this place. There are probably lots more like it. Seems to be a profitable business idea.

• Like 1

My son was part of boy scouts troop 731 for many years, they camp most every month of the year, so if you're looking for more information contact them for endless camping options in the north. Camped at all the parks you've listed; Ob Luang is close to town but offers not very remote river distances to travel, Mae Ping is pretty fantastic if you like remote unsupervised camping - a short distance from Doi Tao your can get to pretty hard to access areas that you should be completely self sufficient, if you go north of the 1009 leading to Doi Inthanon on the 1284 there are a couple of less crowded campsites though no rivers but a several great water falls to visit. My personal favorite for a great river to float would be the Mae Ngao national park, they rent tents but kayak rentals, etc would be more of a challenge. Most of the camping we did ourselves was in unsupervised areas or at Thai national parks, often just as a getaway or part of our fishing trip.

For a special area, to fit your requirements plus access to fantastic caves and rather remote - non touristy rafting, you should contact John of Cave Lodge for recommendations. Would't hurt to contact the Flight of the Gibbon, they have eco resorts and campgrounds past the Mae On area, and would be able to provide any equipment you may need (I know they partner with the kayak shop arcoss from the CM train station for example).

Happy camping

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

My son was part of boy scouts troop 731 for many years, they camp most every month of the year, so if you're looking for more information contact them for endless camping options in the north. Camped at all the parks you've listed; Ob Luang is close to town but offers not very remote river distances to travel, Mae Ping is pretty fantastic if you like remote unsupervised camping - a short distance from Doi Tao your can get to pretty hard to access areas that you should be completely self sufficient, if you go north of the 1009 leading to Doi Inthanon on the 1284 there are a couple of less crowded campsites though no rivers but a several great water falls to visit. My personal favorite for a great river to float would be the Mae Ngao national park, they rent tents but kayak rentals, etc would be more of a challenge. Most of the camping we did ourselves was in unsupervised areas or at Thai national parks, often just as a getaway or part of our fishing trip.

For a special area, to fit your requirements plus access to fantastic caves and rather remote - non touristy rafting, you should contact John of Cave Lodge for recommendations. Would't hurt to contact the Flight of the Gibbon, they have eco resorts and campgrounds past the Mae On area, and would be able to provide any equipment you may need (I know they partner with the kayak shop arcoss from the CM train station for example).

Happy camping

Talking about fishing trips are there any good fishing spots around Chiangmai that you have found?