Who Invented The Sports Rack?

I wanted to applaud the inventor of the "Sports Rack" that I see on almost every SUV and pickup with a cap.

That person was a genius. They developed a product that has been purchased by tens of thousands of people in Thailand alone, and no one has ever used it, EVER.

I started counting them yesterday, as I drove through Bangkok. I stopped after 200 in the first 15 minutes. Then I started counting the number of people who actually where USING their rack. In the next two hours, the grand total was zero, out of thousands of the ###### things that I saw.

Why do people purchase them? They don't use them, and they cut down on the fuel economy. What is the point?

Hear hear.

I guess they put them on because it makes their car bigger/taller. So compensation, basically.

When I bought my truck (second hand) it had a chromium raiser-bar on top of the chromium scaffolding in the back that looks like a rollbar but totally isn't. The raiser bar is for attaching high beam lights I suppose, but it didn'thave those, just the extra bar making the car even higher (and catch even more wind, increase drag, etc.)

Needless to say the thing came off pretty much right away. :o

I kept the chromium scaffolding in the back though.. Not that it would do any good when rolling the car, but it's great to hold on to when having sex in the back of the pick-up, it allows for more and better positions.

Edited by chanchao

See my last years 'tonue in cheek' posts on PDDs (Parasitic Drag Devices) by using the Search function.

Since then, I have actually seen PDDs being used as carriers but it's still only around 1%.

Obviously, with the limited number of car models available and within the price range of the average Thai motorist, they want their car to look differnt to the common herd. Hence the lucrative after market companies offering add-ons.

Hear hear.

I guess they put them on because it makes their car bigger/taller. So compensation, basically.

When I bought my truck (second hand) it had a chromium raiser-bar on top of the chromium scaffolding in the back that looks like a rollbar but totally isn't. The raiser bar is for attaching high beam lights I suppose, but it didn'thave those, just the extra bar making the car even higher (and catch even more wind, increase drag, etc.)

Needless to say the thing came off pretty much right away. :o

I kept the chromium scaffolding in the back though.. Not that it would do any good when rolling the car, but it's great to hold on to when having sex in the back of the pick-up, it allows for more and better positions.

How do you stop your arse getting bit my mosquitos?

Virtually everywhere you buy a pickup these days they throw in stuff such as binliner and the insect guard in the front. If you put a box on the pickup the company with the box usually throw in the rack free.

It's all part of the way business is done here. You got to give people something free to make them happy.

• 1 month later...
I wanted to applaud the inventor of the "Sports Rack" that I see on almost every SUV and pickup with a cap.

That person was a genius. They developed a product that has been purchased by tens of thousands of people in Thailand alone, and no one has ever used it, EVER.

I started counting them yesterday, as I drove through Bangkok. I stopped after 200 in the first 15 minutes. Then I started counting the number of people who actually where USING their rack. In the next two hours, the grand total was zero, out of thousands of the ###### things that I saw.

Why do people purchase them? They don't use them, and they cut down on the fuel economy. What is the point?

I use my roof rack all the time.

I guess its the same mentality that makes people go out and buy 3ltr SUV's (Fortuners and pick ups) when actually a Jazz or Yaris would do.

I wonder how many 4wd have never been in 4wd and how many pick ups have carried there full load.

If everybody bought the right equipment for their requirement we'd really start to save oil and the fuel wasted from unused roof racks would be very minor.