Chiang Rai Quake generates 712 aftershocks so far

webfact

Chiang Rai Quake generates 712 aftershocks so far

CHIANG RAI, 12 May 2014 (NNT) - The Chiang Rai earthquake that struck on the evening of May 5th has created a total of 712 aftershocks so far and caused severe mental distress to a number of locals living near the quake’s epicenter.

The Seismological Bureau of the Meteorological Department reported that the quake has generated at least seven aftershocks measuring 5.0-5.9 on the Richter scale and at least 29 aftershocks at a magnitude of 4.0 to 4.9. About 116 other aftershocks were also detected, ranging from 3.0 to 3.9 on the scale. Lastly, dozens of smaller aftershocks with a magnitude lower than 3.0 were reported.

Reports indicate that a number of patients were also admitted to the hospital due to psychological stress after experiencing the effects of the earthquake. The Chiang Rai Public Health Office has declared that at least 50 percent of the victims had trouble falling asleep or were haunted by nightmares, causing them to awake in the middle of the night.

Adding to the psychological impacts, the quake has also destroyed a number of roads and highways, especially Highway No. 118 between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.

Meanwhile, the quake has also caused the ground level to sink by at least 1 to 3 meters at a village in Mae Lao District. Authorities are now carrying out repair works by redirecting traffic routes and establishing temporary roadways, as well as solving the problem of soil liquefaction due to the earthquake.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-12 footer_n.gif

If PNG is anything to go by a huge quake is around the corner.

What is PNG?

I know nothing about it. Is it based on solid science backed up with facts?

If some one can gwai.gif ive me a brief description it would be much appreciated. As I live on the 17th floor.

Thank You

^I hope not. Most of the steel reinforced concrete structures in Thailand are not huge quake proof. Japan which does have quake proof buildings uses steel structures encased in concrete.

Earthquakes are expected in Japan so they build accordingly.

PNG Papua New Guinea ??

The general laymans consensus is when a big quake hits like the chiang rai one ( big for Thailand anyway) a lot of built up pressure is released . Aftershocks release more pressure and the chance of another big quake is minimal especially in low risk quake place like Thailand. The pressure has to build up again which may take decades? 50 years before another 6.0 quake in Thailand?

• Like 1

If PNG is anything to go by a huge quake is around the corner.

What is PNG?

I know nothing about it. Is it based on solid science backed up with facts?

If some one can gwai.gif ive me a brief description it would be much appreciated. As I live on the 17th floor.

Thank You

Must be a northern farang - PNG is Papua New Guinea