Thai woman sentenced to death in Malaysia on cannabis smuggling charge

webfact

MALAYSIA
Thai woman sentenced to death on cannabis smuggling charge
The Star
Asia News Network

BANGKOK: -- A Thai divorcee was sentenced to death by the Alor Setar High Court here for trafficking 23,123 grams of cannabis two years ago.

Saowanee Srisar, 33, who is a former housekeeping staff of a hotel in Bangkok, was found guilty of committing the offence under Section 39B(1)(a) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952, at the express bus terminal of Shahab Perdana, Lebuhraya Sultanah Bahiyah here at about 8.45pm on Jan 21, 2012.

She was convicted of committing the offence under Section 39B(2) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952, which carries the mandatory death sentence upon conviction.

Judicial Commissioner Datuk Mohd Zaki Abdul Wahab in his judgment on Monday, said the prosecution had proven that the accused was in possession of the cannabis kept in two bags a black and a blue.

"The accused had failed to raise doubt on the case presented by the prosecution," said Mohd Zaki.

Saowanee, who was clad in white T-shirt and blue jeans, was calm and smiled after sentencing. She was also seen hugging with staff and police personnel of the court before being led away.

The accused was represented by counsel Burhanudeen Abdul Wahid while DPP Norshuhada Mohd Yatim prosecuted.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-12

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the punishment is rather harsh for the crime. However, that being said, at 33 years of age she knows the rules of the game. You get caught trafficking drugs in Malaysia you get the death penalty.

Almost deserves the punishment for being a fool more so than the actual trafficking offence. Silly women.

How is the death sentence carried out in Malaysia?

OK got it

Death sentences are carried out by hanging as provided in Section 281 of the Criminal Procedure Code. Pregnant women and children may not be sentenced to death.

Edited by uptheos

It is sad because she probably needed the money and met a dealer through her job in hotel 300.00THB a day and was offered ten to 20,000 THB to be a mule. All the while the big guy takes little or no risk.

That Culture is so two faced in their laws and how they are enforced. You walk down Sukumvit and Soi 3 most of the people of that culture smell of smoking the drug. The back streets along Soi 5 are worse.

Have never used any drugs and do not understand those who do, no self discipline or such a bad life they use drugs instead of removing the cranium from their annus and get on with life.

Hope you are not too offended !! Jerry

23kg was a little OTT don't you think......even as a mule.

No-one can be that stupid can they?

Maybe she couldn't understand the message over the speaker in the cabin and written on the landing card......Trafficking Drugs Carries a Mandatory Death Sentence in Malaysia

May be a entrepreneur but still a Mule. No suggesting of catching the producer, supplier or on-seller management...

23kg was a little OTT don't you think......even as a mule.

No-one can be that stupid can they?

Maybe she couldn't understand the message over the speaker in the cabin and written on the landing card......Trafficking Drugs Carries a Mandatory Death Sentence in Malaysia

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

23kg of Cannabis gives you also a death sentence in Singapore, Brunei, Indonesia and Vietnam.

Nothing really barbaric about it.

It doesn't matter the location or the crime - it is a medieval punishment that has no place in the modern world.

Granted that the crime does not warrant the death penalty. However, I'd like to see your reaction to the rape and murder of a wife or daughter. There are just some people who don't deserve to breath the same air as the rest of us.

• Like 1

The death penalty is a barbaric punishment and state sanctioned murder. I hope Thailand do what they can to get her home, and as important get on the list of countries that no longer let the courts give capital punishment.

As an ex toker I understand your argument but if a country has certain drug laws you break at your own risk. You know the risks, profit margins involved and take a gamble. Most of the times you're a winner but the one time you're the loser you lose big time.

I agree that weed should be classed lower than tobacco and alcohol on the health damage scale but it'll take time for the rest of the world to realise this as tax revenues are astronomical on these legal drugs.

I can't even estimate the amount of Muslim men smoking weed as they're not allowed to have a beer or two to help them sleep.

• Like 1

Do you think by posting your thoughts about the dearh setence for drugs in Malaysia and other Countries it is going to change that Countries Laws,think again. Why even bother. i don't think the Malaysian Government reads the Posts on Thai Visa

• Like 2

Marijuana is actually a plant and is only considered a drug because governments label it is so and as far as I know, marijuana is the only plant listed as a schedule 1 controlled substance! It is currently the most popular healing modality for cancer and will soon be approved by the AMA (along with stem cells) so that they can control it and keep the money flowing into their pockets. I surmise this young lady did not know of the penalty she would be facing but only she knows that. I hope there is some intervention for her. For those of you who have never used drugs, you are sadly mistaken as there are drugs in all of the processed foods we eat (ever read the labels and check out what the ingredients are and if they are actually food products like red dye #5). Also included are the antibiotics in the meats and in the dairy products,chem trails (you breathe, yes?), in the air, in the water, and lots of other places. You are saying also that you never took an aspirin or a Tums...yes? These are the real drugs and that is why you buy them in drug stores cause drug store sell drugs which our livers do not know what to do with and that is why so many people are sick. The FDA finally admitted that aspirin should not be taken if not necessary and can aggravate heart conditions. Study nutrition folks and wake up to what is real so that you get in touch with things like what are the real meanings of words and get in touch with your compassion for others.

I don't agree with the death sentence, heck I wouldn't even be happy with a prison sentence it should be decriminalised, but it won't be.

The point is, whether she knew or not she broke one of the strictest laws in Malaysia and I can't see why there would be any intervention for her.........because she's Thai?

What's the old saying 'ignorance of the law is no excuse'.