Thai woman sentenced to death in Malaysia on cannabis smuggling charge

webfact

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is sad because she probably needed the money and met a dealer through her job in hotel 300.00THB a day and was offered ten to 20,000 THB to be a mule. All the while the big guy takes little or no risk.

That Culture is so two faced in their laws and how they are enforced. You walk down Sukumvit and Soi 3 most of the people of that culture smell of smoking the drug. The back streets along Soi 5 are worse.

Have never used any drugs and do not understand those who do, no self discipline or such a bad life they use drugs instead of removing the cranium from their annus and get on with life.

Hope you are not too offended !! Jerry

Do you drink alcohol? Alcohol is a drug.

I don't agree with the death penalty in general. Death penalty for pot? Hmmm... no. That's just stupid.

However, I don't feel sorry for people who are caught and sentenced. If you're stupid enough to traffic drugs (or guns or whatever it is) in a country that has the death penalty for it, then it's absolutely your fault. Too stupid to understand the consequences? Sorry, there's no provision in the law of any country for stupidity.

So part of the world country's are legalizing marihuana and other parts are executing people for using or smuggling it.

really <deleted> up world this planet of ours.

And part of the world puts you in jail for writing a book and part of the world buys the book and reads it. I feel for that person in jail just for writing a book, and even this dopey woman too.There are certainly some unfortunate consequences to diversity.

But oh my, how happy I am that we are diverse and not all pounded into one big boring shape.

• Like 2

death sentence is the fair judgment for such case, without such punishment the world going to be more spoiled and more worse..

there are many crimes committed around .. such as raping children in Cambodia or here in Thailand etc.. such crimes are equal to death sentence, otherwise anyone of us can be a victim and get spoiled by such human devils,

death sentence should be applied anywhere in the world for a such type of crimes, murder, rape, drug trafficking, anyone committed a such crime should not be given the right to be alive in this world, who is against this, must accept to be a victim then test your feeling if your child. brother, sister ... get raped, murdered, etc..

23kg of Cannabis gives you also a death sentence in Singapore, Brunei, Indonesia and Vietnam.

Nothing really barbaric about it.

It doesn't matter the location or the crime - it is a medieval punishment that has no place in the modern world.

Granted that the crime does not warrant the death penalty. However, I'd like to see your reaction to the rape and murder of a wife or daughter. There are just some people who don't deserve to breath the same air as the rest of us.

I am human so, like most people, my capacity to forgive is limited. That is why most countries do not allow victims or families of victims to be part of the sentencing.

In the hypothetical situation you suggest, I would be unable to be objective, but the law must be administered objectively, so any ill feeling I might have towards the guilty party should not influence their punishment.

The death penalty shames any country that uses it.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

"She was convicted of committing the offence under Section 39B(2) of the Dangerous Drugs Act 1952, which carries the mandatory death sentence upon conviction."

How is that possible? Given cannabis is not dangerous.

23kg of Cannabis gives you also a death sentence in Singapore, Brunei, Indonesia and Vietnam.

23 gramms - not kg!! Let that settle in for a bit.

How could one person even hide 23 kg in their belongings or on their body unless they had a fake fat suit on?

23 gramms - not kg!! Let that settle in for a bit.

How could one person even hide 23 kg in their belongings or on their body unless they had a fake fat suit on?

The article says it was in two bags - one black and one blue. So 23000 grams (23 kilos) is not impossible at all.

The death penalty is a barbaric punishment and state sanctioned murder. I hope Thailand do what they can to get her home, and as important get on the list of countries that no longer let the courts give capital punishment.

As an ex toker I understand your argument but if a country has certain drug laws you break at your own risk. You know the risks, profit margins involved and take a gamble. Most of the times you're a winner but the one time you're the loser you lose big time.

I agree that weed should be classed lower than tobacco and alcohol on the health damage scale but it'll take time for the rest of the world to realise this as tax revenues are astronomical on these legal drugs.

I can't even estimate the amount of Muslim men smoking weed as they're not allowed to have a beer or two to help them sleep.

"as they're not allowed to have a beer or two to help them sleep."

Many do mate, not all Muslim countries rigidly enforce sharia law. Lots of Muslim guys and gals enjoy a tipple, the only thing I've never seen them do is eat pork.

The death penalty is a barbaric punishment and state sanctioned murder. I hope Thailand do what they can to get her home, and as important get on the list of countries that no longer let the courts give capital punishment.

As much as I agree with you Thailand is another country that uses the barbaric death penalty for drug smuggling.

nice to see laws inforced

in thailand, when you have money, you are above the law

cop killer, in ferrari or bmw , they go free overhere

nice to know there is still one country in the world where you can get away with almost anything ,even getting farmers to give yo rice selling it and never having to paying the farmers ,any more jobs going like this

#1. The law is from 1952. Outdated and completely ignorant.

#2. The poor woman probably had never been out of the country before and likely knew nothing of the laws. Especially after the "bad" guys coached her that it was all just a routine delivery.

#3. For the morons that never used drugs - go back to smoke your Marlboro and sip your whiskey and ponder what went wrong with your education.

#1. 1952 that was 5 years before independence, how terrible Malaysia was under British rule at the time.

#2. probably right.

#3. please do not call me a moron, I think I am right in thinking drugs are evil even cannabis, and for the record I do not smoke and rarely drink whiskey.

Saowanee Srisar seems to have some colored friends on facebook, if they used her as a mule? Sorry story! sad.png

In a thread full of some pretty idiotic comments ("nothing barbaric about it..."), that's probably the dumbest so far... so congratulations.

• Like 1

So she is going to be legally killed for holding a substance for which there is no known record in the history of humankind of its consumption being the direct cause of any death.

This substance, a naturally-occuring plant, was legal for most of the history of its existence (and it existed even before humankind), was made illegal in recent times by humans without any scientific basis, and very recently has become legal again in increasingly more parts of the world.

I presume in those areas where cannabis is legalized that many of those who had been incarcerated due to criminal offences that were related to the illegality of the substance would be released. However, what would happen to those who were given the death penalty? I don't think exhuming their bodies would be a positive step that is akin to releasing a prisoner who had committed a crime that is now no longer a crime.

Edited by hyperdimension
  • Like 2

I think I am right in thinking drugs are evil even cannabis, and for the record I do not smoke and rarely drink whiskey.

How can any thing, i.e. inanimate object, be "evil"?

Since nature created cannabis, is nature "evil"?

Edited by hyperdimension
  • Like 1

I think I am right in thinking drugs are evil even cannabis, and for the record I do not smoke and rarely drink whiskey.

How can any thing, i.e. inanimate object, be "evil"?

Since nature created cannabis, is nature "evil"?

Opium is the dried latex obtained from the opium poppy plant. Opium contains approximately 12% morphine, an alkaloid, which is frequently processed chemically to produce heroin for the illegal drug trade and for legal medicinal use in some countries.

You have to give the girl some credit. She didn't go down the usual 'farang route'.

The only credit she can get is that she was only in possession of drugs.

Nothing has been reported yet that she was really dealing it...

To have another look how it really happens in Malaysia :

http://www.marijuanatravels.com/cities/mys/kuala%20lumpur

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I'm sorry but to kill someone over pot is very harsh. I'm a non drinker, non smoker and I don't use any drugs. One would think I would find this punishment acceptable, but I have observed people under the influence of alcohol commit stupied acts of violence. It's total legal to drink and sell alcohol. Not to mention the health consequences caused by alcoholism. Something is really wrong in this world...

• Like 1

Her defence lawyer must have thrown in a hell of a defence! All it needed was reasonable doubt the bags were hers.

Anyway, I don t use myself but it is true it is a well known herb. Slowly gaining recognition world wide. Only known cure for glucoma, pain, helps with cancer, all sorts of intestinal problems as well as high blood pressure.

Sentence is barbaric, I agree. Yes, she should know she can get this in certain countries. No, the punishment does not fit the crime. A crime it is, though.

While cannabis can "sometimes" help lower eye pressure in "some" people, it is by no means a cure. I wish it was, as I have had glaucoma for many years and it's slowly, but very surely, making me go blind.

I think the punishment is rather harsh for the crime. However, that being said, at 33 years of age she knows the rules of the game. You get caught trafficking drugs in Malaysia you get the death penalty.

Almost deserves the punishment for being a fool more so than the actual trafficking offence. Silly women.

If those that do something foolish "deserve" to be executed, then we're all screwed.

• Like 2