How do I know if it's safe to eat street food?

basvdelsen

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another troller?

dont eat and you wont get

many people eat at the stall, is indication of what?

look at the plates, spoons, washed in the same dirty water with the same dirty rack

enjoy

If you were in west Africa, India, or Mexico, I would say avoid street food, especially if you have a delicate constitution. But, here in Thailand? The street food is both delicious and safe. Rather, seek it out! Your worries are basically unfounded. You probably have a better chance of getting food poisoning eating at a taco joint in Los Angeles, than you do street food here. The only thing to be careful about here is the seafood. Make sure it looks and smells fresh.

I have eaten street food for over three & a half years & have not gotten sick one time in Mexico.

I have been here in Thailand for three years. I have eaten chicken, pork hocks, soup noodle with pork, eggs , sushi and a myriad of snacks . I have had little trouble. The one food I would avoid now is salad. The vendor had poor sanitary facilities. I believe the salad bar at BIG C grocery is OK.The restaurants are also very safe. Generally Thai food is well cooked.

Most of the food outlets would be shut down in North America by the health authorities. Places that would not be closed are the franchise outlets, food courts in Big C or Lotus, and a few select private outlets.

What to look for. Are the tables clean ? Are the washrooms clean ? Are the servers clean? Are the customers plentiful ? Do the customers look healthy ? Do dogs and cats wander around the tables ? Is there sufficient staff to serve the customers and keep the place clean.

if its good enough for the rats that are fat and happy , then its good enough for us smile.png

Agreed. A little rat urine and feces probably enhances the flavor as much as Ajinomoto.

The first time I see a largish rat scurry past my street-side table I usually feel more ill than after eating.

The good news is that rats avoid the "popular"/"crowded" restaurants, until closing time.

I love seeing the street vendors pouring their used cooking oil down the street drain, as they are closing up for the day/night.

A 5-star hotel in a SE Asian country did a huge Christmas gala diner 20 years back. As it was one of the first western place in that city back then, pretty much all the expats went. 200 people ended up sick, some had to be medevaced to BKK and Singapore.

People get food poisoning everywhere, but this thread is more about street-based cuisine in Bangkok.

Edited by lomatopo

A 5-star hotel in a SE Asian country did a huge Christmas gala diner 20 years back. As it was one of the first western place in that city back then, pretty much all the expats went. 200 people ended up sick, some had to be medevaced to BKK and Singapore.

People get food poisoning everywhere, but this thread is more about street-based cuisine in Bangkok.

Dear me! I am so sorry, o great forum master and thanks for pointing out my TV faux paswink.png

no hot water to clean dishes, glasses , knives and spoons etc.....

no place to wash your hands after picking your nose ,

no icebox to put meat and veggies in ,

and on and on and on .......

yeah I do get sick pretty easy and only having a few weeks vacation i am not a adventerous eater....

and just because the Locals do not get sick ( how do you really know ? ) I am not going to chance it

as they say ....Up to You

Apart from the comments about eating from popular places that are there everyday and have been for years.....agree I do that and have been for years....the biggest danger is probably not "parasites"....

it's more that eating fried food, white rice, low quality carbs, low quantities and quality of protein, cooking in cheap oil, eating too much salt and msg...it's more the health issues of eating a poor diet generally that you ought to worry about....

bad cholesterol can cause all kinds of problems, not only heart attacks and strokes but worse. And if your diet is too high in carbs and too low in proteins and nutrients them your body will eventually weaken, both in terms of muscle mass, bone density, skin quality etc and your nervous system, immune system and reproductive system will deteriorate.

So eat kao pat gai three times a day for a few years, nice and tasty, won't get food poisoning a single time but you may well suffer in ways that are just as bad.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

If you don't get sick or die then it was safe to eat? clap2.gif

Consider (using common sense) whether you should or not, pay your money and take your chance!

Now that wasn't too hard, was it? (rhetorical question)

• 2 weeks later...