Good (and Cheap!) New Indian Vegetarian Buffet

Jimmyd

Okay, as I said I am willing to go back once more (but probably during the daytime). Would be nice if the next one who goes can share his experience with what's on offer.

Edit: The vegetable might have been Okra.

Edited by wump

Do you also find it funny to charge a service charge in a self-service place? Shouldn't I be paying the service charge to myself then? w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif

It's a hotel so the total price is pretty amazing regardless. Also the waiters there will go downstairs and bring you fresh nan as you like, with butter or plain.

There's butter available? smile.png

I was wondering what he meant when he asked what kind of bread I want. I just said "naan" and I assumed the choice was between naan and roti or something. Garlic naan would also be very nice (garlic should be even cheaper than butter for them).

Sorry for off-topic, but does anyone know why Thai butter always tastes slightly rancid? Or is that artificial flavour? I have tried all the Thai brands and I just can't eat it and have to buy the imported one. sad.png

What's the place downstairs, that offers a meat/chicken buffet? What's the price and how do you think it compares with the Beverly Plaza?

It's about 200 baht. There will be a chicken curry, probably two veg curries, dal, nan, and yogurt (which you might need to request). So double cost to add the chicken and yogurt? Possibly. Be careful about your water order. Free water is available on request but if you just say water, you might get a 60 baht plus plus bottle. All other drinks similarly high hotel prices. This is a much smaller scale buffet than Beverly Plaza so there's something to be said for cooking in smaller batches. If the place is empty (which I think it is often is) you might even get a totally fresh batch. Different style of cooking. I guess it's probably a bit better if I had to choose on food alone. I have no idea if the veg curries are the SAME veg curries in the basement place. I wouldn't assume that they are though.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Went again today. No manager available to complain to about the ++ pricing, which was all the more cheeky as the Indian lady in charge has apparently been given orders to nab any passing farang and say "only 99B", which of course it isn't.

Had to ask several times to have the hideous Bollywood music turned right down (I was the only person eating) but they did eventually get the idea. Initially they thought I wanted it turned up!

Free water was iced, unlike last time.

Dishes were: yellow dahl (thick), ladies fingers (not my favourite dish but cooked well and so I enjoyed them) and another fairly thick thing (not green this time) with a lot of paneer in it. All piping hot and tasty. Good fresh naan (unbuttered) produced from elsewhere after a couple of minutes and clearly cooked for me.

I noticed that inside they advertise afternoon tea/coffee/samosas etc for the same 99B (presumably also really 117B).

Went again today. Green spinach paneer thing. Thick yellow dahl. Aloo with what appeared to be a little bit of cauliflower also. All tasty. Cold water and hot naan. No music and no clients (apart from me). No manager either, and all the staff disappeared at one point.

I enjoy this place.

How can someone complain about a 120 thb buffet ? RIDICULOUS !

It seems reasonable to complain if something is bad. The price is irrelevant.

Lucky this place isnt bad at all, but I've been to plenty of places here that are.

• 5 weeks later...

The free water has been removed, there is a small carafe in the fridge (this might be the free water) but I am told "this is not clean" when inquiring about the free water. So what do you use for cooking then?!

So you are practically forced to buy bottled water.

I went the other day and was caught out by this also. The small carafe is "for staff". The asking price of 30B (++?) for bottled water is patently absurd. I told the lady so (not her fault, of course) and left without eating.

I certainly wont be going back until they get a dose of reality, but by that time I suspect they may have closed due to lack of customers.

Edited by KittenKong

Yes it is 30++. Coke is a cheeky 40++ for the 7 Baht bottled version.

Another thing happened last night: It was 40 minutes before closing time and there was only a little daal left (2 spoonfuls probably) that looked like a very dry chunk (wasn't liquid at all). I said that it would be enough for me but the guy insisted on bringing a new one for me. Okay, why not. I assumed it was old.

10 minutes later the girl came from the kitchen with a huge pot and emptied it onto the old stuff!

I always wondered if they throw everything away all the time. I guess not?! Why make a full new one of them dishes (probably like 5 kilos) just 30 minutes before closing time when there is noone else there anyway? what's the matter with not using a new container?

And why do they keep the naan there in the hot thingy when it is inedible after sitting there for 1 hour and they will say "don't eat that, we make fresh" anyway? Why not remove it?

Although the value is unbeatable for Indian food in Pattaya (I'm vegetarian anyway) at 160 baht (food plus water plus no coin change) and taste is quite nice I think this place has some real management issues.

After all, where do all the Indians go? We all know they are usually tight (I saw a guy haggling over 10 baht off the somtum at the beach the other day!) and there is loads of them so where do they all eat? Will they all fork out 110-150 baht for ONE veggie dish at Indian restaurants? I don't know that but I find it odd that they rarely eat at the buffet place when it is such good value.

I think the daal is also eaten by the staff, so they probably always have another one on the back burner. I've noticed that when they bring fresh naan they bring more than is probably needed and so the remainder gets put in the hot tray. I expect they think it's better to have something for display even if they always get more fresh anyway. I would do the same.

Anyone prepared to ask for an expat discount can go to the Lantern (ex Spices II) for 150B which includes water and papadums and a larger choice (including chicken for those who like it). The food there is not as tasty as Sun City though and in their new place they dont actually present it as a buffet even though it is "all you want".

I hope that my complaint about the water price in Sun City will be communicated upwards to the manager, but somehow I suspect that he may not be told. Whether he would react if told is yet another matter.

I would like to know where all the Indians eat also! Maybe they get the Bombay dabbawallas in via U-tapao.

carting.jpg

The veg thali was 495 baht the last time I ordered at Alibaba. Considering the taste is quite okay at the buffet I don't see why I should spend 4 times as much.

Also, I find the food at all Indian restaurant I have been to so far quite tasty. If you go by recommendations they all say Indian by Nature is the best, though I have never been there myself.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I went the other day and was caught out by this also. The small carafe is "for staff". The asking price of 30B (++?) for bottled water is patently absurd. I told the lady so (not her fault, of course) and left without eating.

I certainly wont be going back until they get a dose of reality, but by that time I suspect they may have closed due to lack of customers.

I've not been back since the introduction of the 30B++ water, but I drove past today and it seemed to me that the sign had changed and now reads 200B++. The sign was half fallen over and wasn't easy to see, so I may be mistaken.

Assuming I'm right then unless they have significantly improved what they offer to match this higher price I cant see them attracting much business.

Has anyone actually been recently and can confirm this new pricing and what, if anything, has changed with the food?

Also last week I drove past the Lantern on 3rd Road near Tony's, which is usually completely deserted. That was about 11pm, which is late for me, and there were a couple of dozen Indian men coming out who looked like they had just eaten. So maybe that place does actually get busy later on and isn't just permanently empty.

• Like 1

I have been back to Sun City today after a month. (On a diet)

Food flavor has never been so good as today. 4 meals instead of the 3 usually proposed. All the spices where in the dishes. Great great great!!!!

When the bill arrived I've noticed they have put the price up to 199. ++

Double the amount in 30 days it's probably exaggerated. But have not find a cheaper place for the same flavors.

I will keep going there.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Food flavor has never been so good as today. 4 meals instead of the 3 usually proposed. All the spices where in the dishes. Great great great!!!!

Double the amount in 30 days it's probably exaggerated. But have not find a cheaper place for the same flavors.

I will keep going there.

Drinking water included in the price or not?

I will keep going there.

Drinking water included in the price or not?

Nope...

What is the place near tony ? Any report ?

It's run by the people who used to do Spices II. Last time I went it was still 200B for several dishes including one or two with meat (chicken), salad, ice cream, chapatis, poppadums etc etc. Water also included.

Due to the lack of clients they stopped laying out the buffet and started serving it from the kitchen. Still all you want, but you cant see what you're getting!

Quite similar to other ones around town but a bit cheaper.