Immigration boss confirms the Out-In visa run is dead

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope they have more luck with the finger scanners than the had here in Cambodia.

They started scanning a couple of years ago. All 10 fingers of tourists that hardly speak any English, by guys that hardly speak a word of English. Huge frustration, much shouting, enormous queues.

Result: the scanners are still there but haven't been used for a year

Another confusing article - many references to tourist visas rather than visa exempt arrivals. Are they now saying that even on a double entry tourist visa you are not allowed to do an 'in-out'?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Does this quote from the OP help you understand ?

“Out-in visa runs will still be possible but they have to show a credible tourism plan and give details of their accommodation to the officials.

“Thirty days should be enough for a normal tourist. If they really want to travel around the country for more than 30 days, then they must show us a plausible plan. If officers are suspicious, then they will carry out checks."

• Like 1

The bottom line is immigration are tightening things up and it really is about time. They are putting an end to people abusing the system. If you have a valid reason to be here you will have the correct visa. People who dont meet the criteria for visas have no valid reason - this is very common throughout the world.

Continued political violence will tighten it up even more :)

• Like 1

here it is crazy hot

I don't go outside all day.

I'll go for food later.

I hope you are feeling better ?

Hit the wrong key for a PM? Or is this some secret code? Maybe you're a dangerous spy surveilling Thai border security procedures? Maybe need to pull your visa? Seems a fishy message for a forum board to me. (See how easy it is to make your story fit their crime?)

The bottom line is immigration are tightening things up and it really is about time. They are putting an end to people abusing the system. If you have a valid reason to be here you will have the correct visa. People who dont meet the criteria for visas have no valid reason - this is very common throughout the world.

----

Does a phillipina lady with a letter of contract with a state school have such a "valid reason"? Schools are notorious for not providing the papers needed for a work permit. I wonder if the boss of immigration actually spoke to the boss of education about this ?

• Like 2

Another confusing article - many references to tourist visas rather than visa exempt arrivals. Are they now saying that even on a double entry tourist visa you are not allowed to do an 'in-out'?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Does this quote from the OP help you understand ?

“Out-in visa runs will still be possible but they have to show a credible tourism plan and give details of their accommodation to the officials.

“Thirty days should be enough for a normal tourist. If they really want to travel around the country for more than 30 days, then they must show us a plausible plan. If officers are suspicious, then they will carry out checks."

I'm assuming what they mean about "checks" is like calling hotels to confirm that a particular person actually has a reservation to stay there -- matching whatever papers they may show to Immigration.

Real tourists would tend to have hotel or similar reservations, whereas full-time visa-exempt runners would tend to have houses or apartments, but not hotel reservations -- at least up until now.

tourism plan: trying all meat at soi 6

accommodation: cheapo 'wifebeater' room near soi 6

coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I don't see any connection between Thailand's real status has a haven for fake and stolen passports, as evidenced by the Malaysian Air debacle, and the current crackdown on recurring visa-exempt entries.

I'm sure Immigration and the MFA took flak, rightly so, over the stolen passports episodes, not to mention the bigger recent cases of stolen visa stamps from several Thai embassies/consulates that later were being sold out on the open market.

But cracking down on visa-exempt entries would seem to have absolutely no bearing on the problem of stolen/fake passports. I suppose, if one was already in the stolen/fake passports world, they could use those to actually avoid getting caught up in the visa-exempt crackdown.

I guess what would make an impact on the fake/stolen passports issue is their plan to start fingerprinting arrivals -- assuming Immigration is capable of operating such a computerized system across all of their air and land border entry points. You gotta wonder though, since the government can't even seem to manage to keep their Thai IDs and Thai passports computer systems in good operation.

The more times a passport is looked at the more chance a fake/stolen one will be spotted. Was it not the case that the user of one of stolen passports on the missing Malaysia Airlines flight had been doing visa runs prior to his departure on his way to the west as an illegal immigrant. Was Thailand not fairly well-known as something of a "holding pen" for such people who were making their way westwards, and using visa runs to extend their stay until a suitable passport was "prepared" for them.