Why do so many farang here work for peanuts?

I'm a Web Developer and do a lot of work with outsourcers across the world, usually the lower paid countries, Pakistan, India, Philippines etc, but I have one bloke I work with in Pakistan who is desperate to come and work in the UK.

I asked why and he said for the money, when we sat and worked it out his skills would be worth £30,000 (roughly), he imagined himself sending about £25k of that home to his family. I laughed and told him to stay where he was as he'll have a better disposable income in his own country. He currently earns about $1300 per month and manages to live off about £300 meaning he saves £1000. Even on £30k per year in the UK he'd struggle to save that sort of money by the time he'd paid rent, tax, food, clothing etc.

A higher salary doesn't always mean more money in your back pocket.

• Like 1

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I still find it " absolutely amazing " that anybody needs to earn 30,000 baht a month to live on! 10,000 baht a month is plenty to live on here in Thailand.My rent is 4,000 baht a month with balcony ( in naklua ) and the rest is for food and bills! OK i dont drink or smoke or have any interest in " Bars,booze or football " and i am single too! (out of choice) Its an " outside life " here in Thailand offering " walks,beaches and all in the glorious sunshine that costs " nothing " ! I couldn't think of anything worse than being " trapped in a classroom all day with aircon" with the glorious sunshine outside!

I'm off to the beach!

wai2.gif

Are you joking? Some of my staffs earning 12,000 per month are complaining that they sometimes cannot make ends meet. My house , car , diesel, main food is free and I still find it hard to live on 70k .

Yes I agree that in Farangland the system take a lot away. But at least from where I used to live I got free healthcare and a rather good pension for it. Here if working I would get nothing. An English teacher from my country (Sweden) would have a pension of 100k baht to live on here when he/she is retired.

They, or some do have a good pension in LOS. My Thai friend just retired with a 40,000bht a moth pension. To me that is cool........thumbsup.gif

Old Thai school principle near us retired, 2m lumpsum and 40k p/m.

You guys are converting it all wrong.

2 Hours = 1,800b = beer, fried beer food and sex with a 21 yr old Asian.

2 Hours = us$300 = -us$100 because of the $400 tax.

You're forgetting to accrue for the 20% chance she's going to give you some kind of very expensive disease, and the 5% chance her boyfriend/manager is going to put you in need of dental work with a baseball bat and the ??% chance you'll wake up in a haze on a Thai fishing boat working for free for a year or two... And the high probability you'll eventually marry one of them (maybe not this one- but sooner or later) and she'll clean out your bank account- the one back home.

Factor in all of the risks and the money works out about the same.

We lose either way.

• Like 1

You guys are converting it all wrong.

2 Hours = 1,800b = beer, fried beer food and sex with a 21 yr old Asian.

2 Hours = us$300 = -us$100 because of the $400 tax.

comparing apples to apples would be better. If the Bt.1800 is cash tax free then so should the $300 USD.

Now Bt.900 per hour is 2.5 million baht a year at the labour dept specified 48 hour week, from that you will pay about 26% tax.

Your 2 hours now = Bt.1332 so that 21 year old Asian you thought you would be having sex with has now suddenly aged to 35.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I still find it " absolutely amazing " that anybody needs to earn 30,000 baht a month to live on! 10,000 baht a month is plenty to live on here in Thailand.My rent is 4,000 baht a month with balcony ( in naklua ) and the rest is for food and bills! OK i dont drink or smoke or have any interest in " Bars,booze or football " and i am single too! (out of choice) Its an " outside life " here in Thailand offering " walks,beaches and all in the glorious sunshine that costs " nothing " ! I couldn't think of anything worse than being " trapped in a classroom all day with aircon" with the glorious sunshine outside!
I'm off to the beach!
wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

Are you joking? Some of my staffs earning 12,000 per month are complaining that they sometimes cannot make ends meet. My house , car , diesel, main food is free and I still find it hard to live on 70k .

No i am not joking! lol Its quite simple really- firstly i live a " simple lifestyle " with renting an apartment for 4,000 per month (bills water& electric about 500 baht ) You only need 100 baht a day for fresh food from the market! I dont drink or smoke but love to take train trips out of Hua Lampong ( Bangkok ) I have no interest in " owning a car " Its nice to walk everywhere or even use a bicycle ( and healthier!) I am outside most days walking in the mornings and the afternoons on the beach soaking up the sun and swimming (" splendid ") you see its quite simple really - But many farangs come to Thailand where it can be so cheap to live but live a " farang lifestyle " that they have been used to over the years.Of course if you drink,smoke or eat farang food on a daily basis then life will become expensive! But why come to Thailand to do that? Thailand offers a very cheap " outdoor lifestyle " .........

Greetings to you all! lol

Farang Jaidee

wai2.gif

• Like 2

[quot e name=Naam" post="7820812" timestamp="1400047086]

It's not how much you make.

It's how much you spend.

Make 5% of my former home-country salary.

There, I could only save 10% of my salary.

Here, I save 60-70% of my salary.

Travel anywhere I want, domestically and abroad. Eat what I want, frequently host small parties here and at resorts on weekends out of town, and send a kid through university now and then.

I have all I need and most of my wants.

I can't understand the OP's dilemma at all, unless he's complaining about trying to live a 100% western lifestyle in a developing country.

If THAT'S his beef, well...DUH!

some time ago you posted in another thread actual amounts (earnings and spendings) which i could hardly believe because they were extremely low.

with all due respect... even though your emphasis is on "what you want" and its content is based on your perspective. from my perspective i consider it................ an entertaining fairy tale.

wai2.gif

With all due respect Naam, I've followed your posts for years. It's you who is so deep into the fairy tale that you cannot fathom the realistic circumstances of others.

I applaud that you can enjoy the life of opulent luxury in LOS, and don't have to be concerned about living within your means. But it really does color one's outlook.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1400037812.277257.jpg

i agree with your view "colour one's outlook" and highly appreciate that you seem to understand my individual perspective.

[/quoted]

...as tragic as it may be...

I'm off to the beach!

wai2.gif

With your (non)interest and lifestyle, why live in Naklua(Pattaya) Everything you don't like is exactly what that place offer Farangs smile.png

Hello!

Actually you are wrong! Most people would probably think the same but the great thing about Pattaya or " Naklua" is it has something for everybody! Naklua is nice and busy and i have many friends.Not many farang live here which is great! ( i didn't come to Thailand to meet farang! ) and we have a fab beach on the doorstep! great for long walks and swimming under the sun.Rooms are cheap as well 4000 baht a month is reasonable ( although when i was in chiang mai last month the same style room was 1000 baht a month! ) Weather is very good all year round in this part of Thailand and also easy access to the " Train Station " for trips out and about taking photos! so yes Pattaya offers much more than just " bars,booze,football & sex " LOL

You can't be serious when saying that you like Naklua/Pattaya because not many farangs live there.

• Like 1

post-193254-0-20118300-1400112954_thumb.

For the poor farang that are " stuck indoors " with " aircon on full blast " ( causing a constant cough and sore throat ) then this is what life is like " outdoors " .....

Just kidding Viewers ! biggrin.png

Many reasons and situations. Crappy job prospects in their home country. Crappy weather and relatively expensive to live in their own country. They love Thailand and the people. They are easily "qualified" just by being raised in an English speaking country. The overall experience. They fell in love with a Thai. Relatively inexpensive cost of living. Better tax situation on earnings.

It's how much you spend.

Travel anywhere I want, domestically and abroad. Eat what I want, frequently host small parties here and at resorts on weekends out of town, and send a kid through university now and then.

I can't understand the OP's dilemma at all, unless he's complaining about trying to live a 100% western lifestyle in a developing country.

some time ago you posted in another thread actual amounts (earnings and spendings) which i could hardly believe because they were extremely low.

with all due respect... even though your emphasis is on "what you want" and its content is based on your perspective. from my perspective i consider it................ an entertaining fairy tale.

wai2.gif

With all due respect Naam, I've followed your posts for years. It's you who is so deep into the fairy tale that you cannot fathom the realistic circumstances of others.

I applaud that you can enjoy the life of opulent luxury in LOS, and don't have to be concerned about living within your means. But it really does color one's outlook.

i agree with your view "colour one's outlook" and highly appreciate that you seem to understand my individual perspective.

[/quoted]

do you think there's a cure for my tragic way of life? unsure.png

• Like 2

It's how much you spend.

wai2.gif

[/quoted]

do you think there's a cure for my tragic way of life? unsure.png

Definitely! Sign up with the following organization to help you get grounded:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Millionaire

attachicon.gifP1140123.JPG

For the poor farang that are " stuck indoors " with " aircon on full blast " ( causing a constant cough and sore throat ) then this is what life is like " outdoors " .....

Just kidding Viewers ! biggrin.png

Well there's a case for skin cancer if I have ever seen one...rolleyes.gif

Edited by Soutpeel

Many reasons and situations. Crappy job prospects in their home country. Crappy weather and relatively expensive to live in their own country. They love Thailand and the people. They are easily "qualified" just by being raised in an English speaking country. The overall experience. They fell in love with a Thai. Relatively inexpensive cost of living. Better tax situation on earnings.

One suspects the primary driver is cheap pussy and alcohol for the most part ....whistling.gif

My apologies to any ladies reading for the terminology used....wai2.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe they enjoy the experience..? and how do you know how much everybody here makes?

No idea how much they make...just saw ads for English teachers paying 30,000 baht per month. It just seems a miserable existence here if you have no money and a weak salary...what is it that attracts them to stay?

Well first 30,000 Baht a month is still double a good wage in Thailand and less hours. So if you live like a Thai then you should be able to live a comfortable life on that as things are cheaper here and you generally need less luxury..

I highly doubt the people you refer to are equal in there own country as they are here. An English Teacher here is not a sure thing they could be teachers back home, although some I am sure are that qualified. Just more not as qualified. So a Taxi Driver back home could in fact be an English Teacher here with minimal training. I am sure some people do that just for the experience. A Change is as good as a rest sometimes and this takes the boredom out of life.

But more often then not it is some special woman they met here. Perhaps on a short trip over here. I is not easy to just take some woman you met and bring here back home. So in order to stay together you have to come here. Jobs a very limited to Expats, but teaching is one you can do. So it is either go back home and work for years to save the money to bring her their, or come here.

I don't personally do this as I don't have to, but I do understand why someone would do this. For a little while anyway.

• Like 1

One suspects the primary driver is cheap pussy and alcohol for the most part ....whistling.gif

My apologies to any ladies reading for the terminology used....wai2.gif

Cheap Pus.. probably yes. But not alcohol. That is not so cheap here in Thailand compare to other places. I only have to go on a trip to Cambodia and the alcohol cost less than half of the Thai price. And 50 cent for a draft in nearly any bar and resturant

Maybe they enjoy the experience..? and how do you know how much everybody here makes?

No idea how much they make...just saw ads for English teachers paying 30,000 baht per month. It just seems a miserable existence here if you have no money and a weak salary...what is it that attracts them to stay?

Well first 30,000 Baht a month is still double a good wage in Thailand and less hours. So if you live like a Thai then you should be able to live a comfortable life on that as things are cheaper here and you generally need less luxury..

I highly doubt the people you refer to are equal in there own country as they are here. An English Teacher here is not a sure thing they could be teachers back home, although some I am sure are that qualified. Just more not as qualified. So a Taxi Driver back home could in fact be an English Teacher here with minimal training. I am sure some people do that just for the experience. A Change is as good as a rest sometimes and this takes the boredom out of life.

But more often then not it is some special woman they met here. Perhaps on a short trip over here. I is not easy to just take some woman you met and bring here back home. So in order to stay together you have to come here. Jobs a very limited to Expats, but teaching is one you can do. So it is either go back home and work for years to save the money to bring her their, or come here.

I don't personally do this as I don't have to, but I do understand why someone would do this. For a little while anyway.

Yes an UK taxi driver back home could be an English Teacher here. But he would earn a lot less than driving the taxi:) And 30k is NOT "double a good wage in Thailand" . Do you really belive 15k is a good wage here in Thailand?

30k/m is not a good wage in Thailand...your delusional...."if you live like a Thai" ?.....you mean the same Thai's who for the most part are up to their necks in debt from Banks and loan sharks ?...you mean the same Thai's who have the latest mobile phones/I-pads, designer handbags, red plated car's etc they buying these things because they are cheaper in Thailand...rolleyes.gif

Your inferring a good wage for a Thai is 15k/m do your really think for a minute they are living only on this this amount without borrowing money from friends/family/banks/loan sharks ?

• Like 1

Yes an UK taxi driver back home could be an English Teacher here. But he would earn a lot less than driving the taxi:) And 30k is NOT "double a good wage in Thailand" . Do you really belive 15k is a good wage here in Thailand?

One suspects a UK taxi driver would burst out laughing if he was offered THB30k/m as a wage, and tell you to come back when you have sobered up

I wonder though, if I would have much luck since I don't speak much Thai at this point.

But your not intending to teach Thai are you ?...blink.png

Not on a retirement extension of stay. Not legally anyway.

While your talking about UK taxi drivers.

15K is achievable on an ordinary day.

30K is very rare but can be done on a Saturday/ Sunday .

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-58526-14001598402309_thumb.jpg

no more ridiculous fairy tales please! crazy.gif

-the average fare in London for 10km (6 miles) is £ 28.- (calculated that half of the distance was driven during day time (06.00-22.00hrs) and half at night (22.00-06.00hrs).

extrapolate:

£280.-.............100km

£2,800.-.........1,000km

£14,000.-.......5,000km

£15,000.-.......5,355km

-the average fare in London for 10km (6 miles) is £ 28.- (calculated that half of the distance was driven during day time (06.00-22.00hrs) and half at night (22.00-06.00hrs).

extrapolate:

£280.-.............100km

£2,800.-.........1,000km

£14,000.-.......5,000km

£15,000.-.......5,355km

The average fare in a black cab is about £10.

Not everybody goes 6 miles.

Just round the corner £8,20.

Take a tenner. He's out there's one at the window waiting if you know how to play the game.

You want real figures. Sorry ain't going Into detail.

I just gave an estimate of what is acheavable.

Be lucky

whistling.gif

What could possibly motivate someone to be a teacher for a few dollars an hour, when they could make 3 - 4 times that wage working at a McDonalds or Burger King at home?

----------------

Not everyone wants to live in The U.S.A. and work in a f---ing McDonalds or Burger King.

College joke:

Question: What do you call a graduate with a Master of Arts degree now?

Answer: A hamburger flipper at Burger King.

P,S. I'm retired and live in Thailand now.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

extrapolate:

£280.-.............100km

£2,800.-.........1,000km

£14,000.-.......5,000km

£15,000.-.......5,355km

The average fare in a black cab is about £10.

Not everybody goes 6 miles.

Just round the corner £8,20.

Take a tenner. He's out there's one at the window waiting if you know how to play the game.

You want real figures. Sorry ain't going Into detail.

I just gave an estimate of what is acheavable.

Be lucky

my calculation is based on the figures of a UK government website!

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares

even if i slash the result of my extrapolation by 50% it proves that your claim £15k/day belongs to the category "beam me up Scotty!"

sent from QLX-9897 on Klingon encrypted subspace channel.

By the time you have paid for work permit , visa and annual renewals, Its not worth working in Thailand. But its the same in all third world countries.

speak for yourself, I am about 30% up in Thailand on what I would be earning for the same job in farangland, after tax,

Further working in some 3rd world countries can net you some very serious money...many times farangland salaries for the same job

so stop talking rubbish...

Doing what job? I'm an engineer in the oil and gas industry. Working in West Africa or the Middle East there is a premium paid on top of my earnings but in Thailand the money is pisspoor. I've never seen any job in Thailand that pays "serious money" unless your interpretation of "serious money" and my interpretation are vastly different.