Yingluck departure must not be wasted

webfact

Why do we always need to have charters as thick as dictionaries? It's because our "reforms" have always focused on rules governing politicians, rather than an effort to instil, establish, preserve and foster noble values. When that happens - when reforms are mostly about rules - people look at the Constitution not for inspiration but for loopholes.

Our politicians search endlessly for loopholes to defend themselves or attack their enemies. That's mainly what Thailand's charters have been all about. Rich business people look for loopholes so they can play politics and enhance their private interests. When no loopholes can be found, they resort to claiming that the enforcement of the laws is tinged with prejudice. And that's probably true. When political fights are all about loopholes, everyone can be right, but at the expense of justice and real progress.

Nowhere in South Korea's Constitution is it stipulated that a leader has to resign if a ferry sinks with massive loss of life. But somewhere in the Constitution, or national psyche, there must be something that tells or teaches South Koreans about honesty, integrity and responsibility, or about the shame of using those three words for dishonest, malicious or irresponsible purposes. There must be something that teaches the South Koreans that politics can be played up to a point, after which the "playing" must give way to pure conscience.

Brilliant!

• Like 2

Yingluck departure would have not been totally wasted if she had made a public speech asking for reconciliation and dialogue, and condemning the violence from all sides.

That is what great leaders use to do, don't they?

You mean like this?

BANGKOK, 27 February 2014 Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has affirmed she is open to negotiations with Secretary-General of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) Suthep Thaugsuban as long as he complies with the Constitution.

Following Mr Suthep’s challenge for Ms Yingluck to join him in a televised one-on-one negotiation, the Prime Minister has expressed her willingness to show up for the occasion. Nonetheless, she stressed that the discussion must have a clear direction and adhere to the framework of the charter.

If the protest leader’s demands were beyond her constitutional power, the premier said a team of experts must also be present in order to help suggest useful ideas for the benefit of the whole country. As for her demands, she reiterated that Mr Suthep must end the protests and allow the election process to move forward.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNPOL5702270010010

and this?

Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra Sunday condemned the attacks in Trat and near the Ratchaprasong rally site that also saw children killed and injured.

"I strongly condemn the use of violence in recent days that has caused many deaths both at Trat Province and especially at Rachaprasong today, which is particularly saddening and disturbing since the lives of children were lost," Yingluck said.

She said she has instructed officials concerned to find out the culprits and would punish them no matter which side they belonged to.She said those with different views should turn to use peaceful measures to express their opinions instead of using violence.

"But the use of violence that lead to deaths are not the civilized way of the living. It is not the way of life of Thais who are naturally considerate and empthatic to fellow citizens, rather than resort to senseless killings. I would like to again call on all sides that it is best to use peaceful means to resolve the political conflict through the democratic process,"Yingluck said. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Yingluck-condemns-violence-in-Trat-Ratchaprasong-30227591.html
Edited by fab4

Her departure means nothing! The establishment has already started to oust the rest of the elected majority. No matter who is voted inn, the "powers that be" have to keep their way of doing things as too many benefit such as the big players in the business and the ones with many stars on their uniforms. Many delusional TV's members here will believe Taksin still controls the country no matter how long since he's not set foot back in Thailand and that strategy seems to be working for them.

I was not a big fan of Taksin but I was here before the he came to power and the level of corruption has returned to those years prior to him being PM. I have been a business owner have seen first hand what the gov. officials try to get away with when there is no central control of the provinces from bangkok. Seems they just make up the rules and anything goes. However during the Taksin years this was not happening so much as Bangkok police and gov. officials were always coming down and even if I needed something "pushed" through it was near impossible during those years, the answer I always got was Bangkok won't allow that. Since the coup almost anything now gets done as prior to the taksin coming into office.

I am not forming my opinion on this from talking to other people or from what what I read but from experiencing this first hand as a business owner.

Other examples of this, during the taksin years he enforced the laws on the books such as liqueur not being sold during lunch and late evenings, bars closing at 1am and too many to count provincial mafia figures ran out such as kunman po. Also as we all know he really cracked down on the drug dealers, most thai's I talked to agreed with his heavy handed approach as yaba was every and easy to get, now since the coup it has returned to those levels.

During the coup years the money lenders have had free rain and I have never seen so many thai's in dept to them. I never saw jetski scams before the coup years, although they were very popular to rent back then.

Whenever there is no central control the old guard benefit so even if their yellow party is not in control destabilizing the elected gov. keeps things operating as usual for them.

Edited by marinediscoking
  • Like 1

". . . a country rich in rules but devoid of values".

So true. Otherwise why would the majority of Thais, according to a recent poll, say they are prepared to go along with Government corruption so long as they benefit from it?

If there was a Hypocrisy Olympics, Thailand would win hands down.

So who is to blame for this frightening lack of a moral compass - politicians, the religion, the educational system, or a combination of all of these and other factors?

This question needs urgently to be addressed and acted upon if Thailand is not to decline further as a decent country in which to bring up a family.

As a guest here for 15 years, I find it depressing that while a huge protest movement is calling for more moral government, ordinary Thais seem to be becoming increasingly immoral in the pursuit of the kind of material possessions which the teachings of Buddha repudiate. Whoever said people tend to get the governments they deserve evidently was right.

Since other developing nations are displaying similar symptoms to those of Thailand, one suspects that a more selfish and acquisitive and less caring and altruistic society is the price one inevitably pays for adopting Western-style consumerism, with its illusion that happiness is something which can be bought. Sadly, once you're aboard the gravy train, it is awfully hard to get off.

• Like 2

Tulsathit Taptim will not get a Pulitzer price.

Neither will 99.99% of the world's writers. What is your point exactly? I think it's refreshing to read some unbiased analysis. He's sharing his thoughts, nothing more, nothing less.

Sent from my GT-S7270 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If people are good or if people are bad....

This betrays a basic problem in the Thai psyche. If there is no consequence, 99% of people will eventually become bad.

I also am fascinated when it is acceptable for the corrupt to criticise the corrupt, but avoid criticism themselves. Why do Thais hold people to such low standards.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

"Nowhere in South Korea's Constitution is it stipulated that a leader has to resign if a ferry sinks with massive loss of life. But somewhere in the Constitution, or national psyche, there must be something that tells or teaches South Koreans about honesty, integrity and responsibility, or about the shame of using those three words for dishonest, malicious or irresponsible purposes. There must be something that teaches the South Koreans that politics can be played up to a point, after which the "playing" must give way to pure conscience."

It's a shame that the writer doesn't understand that Republic Of Korea (ROK) has a Presidential Constitution. The ROK President is the nation's leader and appoints the Prime Minister who serves as the President's Deputy in the President's absence. The President is directly elected by the ROK electorate. The ROK President position is comparable to the Thailand PM position; the ROK PM position is somewhat comparable but to a much lesser degree to the Thailand Deputy PM position. The ROK PM's act of vacating his position is no doubt involuntarily as a President's sacrafice to preseve the President's own position - all in accordance to the ROK constitution. The writer needs to fish for another analogy.

I'm an old goat, so I have no hope for Thailand in my lifetime. Corruption, dishonesty and cheating are so ingrained and systematic that I see no way to eliminate them. Regardless of who becomes the next prime minister, it will be business as usual after a short honeymoon period where some cosmetic reforms may be made for show.

At first, I the blamed the people for being corrupt, and dishonest, but the longer I lived here, the more I realized that it was simply learned behavior from the ruling elite. As one Thai told me, if all those above us are corrupt and dishonest, then we are stupid if we are honest. So we learned to play by their rules.

In order to have a true democracy, it is necessary to have:

1. Freedom of speech - Thailand has never had real freedom of speech. There has be been endless discussion about the abuse of the less majeste law for political gain and even personal revenge. This appears to be a problem. But it goes beyond that. The libel and defamation laws are written to protect the rich and powerful. And they use it to effectively suppress the truth. In Thailand, unlike an developed country, libel is a criminal offence that can land you in jail as it is difficult to defend yourself. In developed countries, libel is only a civil crime and you must prove clearly the damage that has been done to you in order to claim damages or remedy.

2. Single standard in law enforcement and in the courts - Here, the rich kids who kill people with their cars and almost never punished. The crime is published on page 1 of the newspaper and then the case is endlessly stalled during the "investigation". Finally, when long forgotten by the general public, page 4 reports that the case has been dropped for lack of evidence or similar. But if a poor kid does the same, they get swift and certain punishment. Why? Well, just look at how the judges are appointed and what class they come from. It seems they all come from the rich, ruling elite class.

3. Good education - Although large education and education reform budgets have been enacted every

year for the 12 years that I have lived here, I've seen precious little progress improving education. Why? Could it be that the rich, ruling elite believe it is easier to control the uneducated? Most vibrant democracies have a large middle class, but here the middle class is small, and found mostly in Bangkok where the work for the rich, ruling elite and are, therefore, reluctant to organize against their masters.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Cheers

• Like 2

Yingluck departure would have not been totally wasted if she had made a public speech asking for reconciliation and dialogue, and condemning the violence from all sides.

That is what great leaders use to do, don't they?

You mean like this?

BANGKOK, 27 February 2014 Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has affirmed she is open to negotiations with Secretary-General of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) Suthep Thaugsuban as long as he complies with the Constitution.

Following Mr Suthep’s challenge for Ms Yingluck to join him in a televised one-on-one negotiation, the Prime Minister has expressed her willingness to show up for the occasion. Nonetheless, she stressed that the discussion must have a clear direction and adhere to the framework of the charter.

If the protest leader’s demands were beyond her constitutional power, the premier said a team of experts must also be present in order to help suggest useful ideas for the benefit of the whole country. As for her demands, she reiterated that Mr Suthep must end the protests and allow the election process to move forward.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNPOL5702270010010

and this?

Caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra Sunday condemned the attacks in Trat and near the Ratchaprasong rally site that also saw children killed and injured.

"I strongly condemn the use of violence in recent days that has caused many deaths both at Trat Province and especially at Rachaprasong today, which is particularly saddening and disturbing since the lives of children were lost," Yingluck said.

She said she has instructed officials concerned to find out the culprits and would punish them no matter which side they belonged to.She said those with different views should turn to use peaceful measures to express their opinions instead of using violence.

"But the use of violence that lead to deaths are not the civilized way of the living. It is not the way of life of Thais who are naturally considerate and empthatic to fellow citizens, rather than resort to senseless killings. I would like to again call on all sides that it is best to use peaceful means to resolve the political conflict through the democratic process,"Yingluck said. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Yingluck-condemns-violence-in-Trat-Ratchaprasong-30227591.html

I want to talk, freely, but first stop the protests. well, that's what the dear lady also asked after her coalition forced through that blanket amnesty bill which even included her own two years in office.

As for condemning the use of force, well again against the anti-government protesters with Ms. Yingluck saying "all sides should stop" after yet another act of violence against those anti-government protesters.

Obfuscation, my dear chap, nothing more.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm an old goat, so I have no hope for Thailand in my lifetime. Corruption, dishonesty and cheating are so ingrained and systematic that I see no way to eliminate them. Regardless of who becomes the next prime minister, it will be business as usual after a short honeymoon period where some cosmetic reforms may be made for show.

At first, I the blamed the people for being corrupt, and dishonest, but the longer I lived here, the more I realized that it was simply learned behavior from the ruling elite. As one Thai told me, if all those above us are corrupt and dishonest, then we are stupid if we are honest. So we learned to play by their rules.

In order to have a true democracy, it is necessary to have:

1. Freedom of speech - Thailand has never had real freedom of speech. There has be been endless discussion about the abuse of the less majeste law for political gain and even personal revenge. This appears to be a problem. But it goes beyond that. The libel and defamation laws are written to protect the rich and powerful. And they use it to effectively suppress the truth. In Thailand, unlike an developed country, libel is a criminal offence that can land you in jail as it is difficult to defend yourself. In developed countries, libel is only a civil crime and you must prove clearly the damage that has been done to you in order to claim damages or remedy.

2. Single standard in law enforcement and in the courts - Here, the rich kids who kill people with their cars and almost never punished. The crime is published on page 1 of the newspaper and then the case is endlessly stalled during the "investigation". Finally, when long forgotten by the general public, page 4 reports that the case has been dropped for lack of evidence or similar. But if a poor kid does the same, they get swift and certain punishment. Why? Well, just look at how the judges are appointed and what class they come from. It seems they all come from the rich, ruling elite class.

3. Good education - Although large education and education reform budgets have been enacted every
year for the 12 years that I have lived here, I've seen precious little progress improving education. Why? Could it be that the rich, ruling elite believe it is easier to control the uneducated? Most vibrant democracies have a large middle class, but here the middle class is small, and found mostly in Bangkok where the work for the rich, ruling elite and are, therefore, reluctant to organize against their masters.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Cheers

You are a wise man!