Quake damage reports still coming in from Chiang Rai

webfact

Quake damage reports still coming in from Chiang Rai

CHIANG RAI 14 May 2014 (NNT) – Earthquake damage reports were still coming in from Chiang Rai on Tuesday, as numerous aftershocks continued to jolt the province.

According to the Meteorological Department's Seismological Bureau, more than 744 aftershocks have been reported following the magnitude 6.3 earthquake that struck Chiang Rai early last week.

On Monday evening a magnitude 5.0 tremor struck Mae Lao district in Chiang Rai. At least one house in the district was heavily damaged, and residents could no longer take shelter under their own roof.

Locals in Phan and Mae Lao, the two districts that were most jolted by last week's quake, are still frightened over the quake and the constant aftershocks, and many have decided to stay outdoors instead of inside their homes.

Officials from the local Disaster Prevention and Mitigation office and military units have been working to remove debris as well as repair homes damaged by the tremors.

The Seismological Bureau also reported a magnitude 3.8 tremor that originated in Mae Lao district on Tuesday evening, the most powerful among several other smaller tremors detected on the same day.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-14 footer_n.gif

Aftershocks bring part of a six-storey hotel building down

5-14-2014-10-38-46-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

CHIANG RAI: -- Part of a six-storey hotel building which was under construction in Chiang Rai province collapsed late Tuesday night but caused no injury.

Project supervisor blamed several aftershocks that jolted the area were cause of the collapse as the six-storey hotel building was under construction.

The incident happened while a cement truck of the LMP Concrete Co was pouring mixed cement into a frame structure of the beam on the third floor.

A total 155 cubic metres of concrete was needed and 135 cubic metres had already been poured.

As the driver of the concrete truck was pouring the remaining 15 cubic metres of concrete, there was thunderous sound and the beam collapsed to the ground, forcing over 30 workers working in the building to run out for their lives.

Hotel construction supervisor Pisit Lienthong said he believed the recent major earthquake and several aftershocks might cause the ground to sink and the structure leaned out of its balance.

The incident happened while workers were pouring concrete to the beam which might not yet dry up enough.

Police have ordered construction of the hotel to be suspended temporarily until it is certified safe to continue construction by civil engineers.

Meanwhile earthquake monitoring officials said that since the outbreak of the 6.3 earthquake, a total of 794 aftershocks were measured.

The latest aftershock of 3.8 magnitude happened at 04.59 a.m. on Wednesday.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/aftershocks-bring-part-six-storey-hotel-building/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-14

"The incident happened while workers were pouring concrete to the beam which might not yet dry up enough."

Well, concrete doesn't dry. It sets up chemically.

I didn't think those beams were poured in place. I thought they were made in a form under pressure, pre-stressed, and then lifted into place with a crane.

Engineers??

Buddha is starting to punish the redshirt areas with the force of nature.........

Chiang Rai/Mai and Isaan will soon see more natural disasters, and then ??????

Let your own president Thaksin the almighty solve the shit, do not come and bother the rest of the country for pity, you have called this on yourselves.

Ask your PT to spend their money to rebuild your so called "red land", bet they all walk away from you now.

Buddha is starting to punish the redshirt areas with the force of nature.........

Let your own president Thaksin the almighty solve the shit, do not come and bother the rest of the country for pity, you have called this on yourselves.

Ask your PT to spend their money to rebuild your so called "red land", bet they all walk away from you now.

...they are trying to 'redirect' as much money as possible.....with this pretext.....as we speak...they will spend Thailand's money before they spend theirs...

"The incident happened while workers were pouring concrete to the beam which might not yet dry up enough."

I didn't think those beams were poured in place. I thought they were made in a form under pressure, pre-stressed, and then lifted into place with a crane.

Engineers??

Beams can be poured using rebar surrounded by a form and from the pic that seems to be what was happening here.

????????????????????????????????

• Like 1

You are in real need of some professional help.............

• Like 1

Engineers??

Substitute "columns" for "beams" (a common layman's error) and the article works.

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

Hope VillageFarang's okay, he lives up there.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I havent been around trhe CR Cm threads long enough to learn the players.

I just know these 800 quakes are serious and not to be dismissed as "relieving pressure"

there is a magma disturbance that can not be ignored

safety first, supplies, preparations for a major catastrophe are in order as never before, even if nothing else happens

this is the proverbial wall falling

I just know these 800 quakes are serious and not to be dismissed as "relieving pressure"

safety first, supplies, preparations for a major catastrophe are in order as never before, even if nothing else happens

Are you suggesting the possibility of a new volcano?

I am not educated enough on this topic,

just that I have been a student of the extreme weather events for 2 yeas now, and this is an alarm bell ringer

You are in real need of some professional help.............

He is beyond help.

There is an Anglo Saxon 4 letter word for people like him. It starts with a c.

I am not educated enough on this topic,

just that I have been a student of the extreme weather events for 2 yeas now, and this is an alarm bell ringer

The Somerset Levels flooded last winter too.

2014-05-14 20:41:23 2.8 19.72 99.62 Amphoe Mae Lao ,Chiang Rai

2014-05-14 19:32:11 2.6 19.75 99.72 Amphoe Mae Lao ,Chiang Rai

2014-05-14 17:23:57 4.4 19.57 99.67 Amphoe Phan, Chiang Rai

the problem is,

they keep coming, its not stopped yet

I am far away, watching this, hoping it doesnt become a city killer

Edited by Scarpolo