Australia Network contract cancelled

webfact

Budget 2014: ABC, SBS funding cut, Australia Network contract cancelled
By Lexi Metherell and staff

CANBERRA: -- The Federal Government will cut the funding of the ABC and SBS by 1 per cent as well as cancel the ABC's contract to run Australia Network.

The federal budget has confirmed the Government will save $43.5 million over four years from cuts to the base funding of the ABC and SBS.

But in a message to staff, ABC managing director Mark Scott says the cut to the ABC is likely to be about $120 million over four years, with more to come.

Mr Scott's message said the Government has confirmed it will reduce operational funding to the ABC by $9 million in 2014-15 and subsequent years, withdraw funding for the Australia Network and "extract further savings from the ABC over the next few years flowing from the Lewis efficiency review".

"The impact on the ABC budget from the first two measures alone amounts to approximately $120m over the next four years - a big imposition on an organisation of our size."

Full story: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-13/budget-2014-abc-sbs-funding-cut-ausnet-contract-cancelled/5450932

-- ABC News 2014-05-14

AN was pretty ordinary to be honest.

Apart from the news and current affairs it was quite dated.

Having said that, I will miss the AFL broadcasts.

I don't have fast enough (aircard) internet to stream so I hope

another broadcaster picks it up.

• Like 1

Agree Will, but if it wasn't for the re runs of old shows it would be Thai Soaps.

All advanced countries have an overseas network - this is just typical of the penny pinching bastards in Canberra - a place with no good reason to exist.

Bloody glad I don't live there when idiots run the country.

If they cut the damned costs of mowing the lawns in Canberra and employed sheep (oh that's right, they do), they could save millions a year. I recall seeing figures some years ago that stated that government gardens in Canberra cost somewhere around $10 million a year! What a waste of money.

Tragic

like many I enoy it when overseas and it promotes Australias imga,perhaps international ads from Qantas etc and other export firms could help

Whatever one thinks of the Federal pariliament and its gardens most of the gardens money is income spent in ACT on labour materials so cutting it wouldn't save much at put some fine women and blokes on centrelink.

I wouldnt be least surprised if there is not some other trimming culd be done on MPs and their expenses.

Or within the industry a levy on ads for non sustainable crap,fast cars,beer and fast food? fast wmen are untaxable directly but the could be put on top of condoms,though I doubt AN wishes to be known as the cocksoxer channel.

SBS what a great channel probably best in the world .Love the morning world news while I can barely grasp 3 languages I used to leave on the Greek and Russian and seeinh how different cultures report the same story plus of course an invaluable friend to older migrants.My best mates old Greek gran it ws the highlight of her day.

Apart from joining in US new adventures in Asia the Afghan conflict has cost lives and money for what?

The tlaeban are re-surgent NATO's pulling out and opium is up more than ever.Will Oz want to be on the anti Chinese side in conflicts with Vietnam,Philpines which are brewing not to mention a resurgent Militaristic Japan ,Taiwan S Korea?It is around these issues that AN has a contributio for one would happily subscribe sadly our local provider keeps changing the package yet Iknow its availbale in thailand as I see it many hotels

Edited by RubbaJohnny
  • Like 1

All advanced countries have an overseas network - this is just typical of the penny pinching bastards in Canberra - a place with no good reason to exist.

If they cut the damned costs of mowing the lawns in Canberra and employed sheep (oh that's right, they do), they could save millions a year. I recall seeing figures some years ago that stated that government gardens in Canberra cost somewhere around $10 million a year! What a waste of money.

and when the previous Labour government left Australian with an interest debt of 1 billion (not million but billion) dollars a month

What do you call that

I have property and a company in Australia and and have to pay for all the increased taxes to pay off the massive debt left buy cowboys

so its not just the PTP party

the same is happeing all over the world

to many do gooders who want hand outs and feel they not need to work

and if you had your way the head of state would have over grown grass

Best you not see how much money Temples in Thailand reqires to keep going, you may not sleep tonight

• Like 2

I loved Australia channel when I could get it. Beats the hell out of Thai Television! My current condo in Bangkok only has True cable which does not have AFL so what's the point!

For all the AFL lovers it looks like you have to watch it at a local bar if you are lucky.

I subscribe to the official AFL website for unlimited live AFL plus all the replays. However it is pricy at $25 US per month. Bad news is that it is not HD and has no buffering, so the picture can be fairly ordinary!

http://watchafl.afl.com.au/

• Like 2

I loved Australia channel when I could get it. Beats the hell out of Thai Television! My current condo in Bangkok only has True cable which does not have AFL so what's the point!

For all the AFL lovers it looks like you have to watch it at a local bar if you are lucky.

I subscribe to the official AFL website for unlimited live AFL plus all the replays. However it is pricy at $25 US per month. Bad news is that it is not HD and has no buffering, so the picture can be fairly ordinary!

every thing is now available across the internet

I watch Australian news and tv shows all day on the net

I liked this channel. It is my great treat when I go to Thailand. And I just loved all those series. Especially the Cop ones. And Home and Away.......what will I do!!! Without Home and Away. Besides I also watched them because I could hear people speaking in English. I get so fed up with being fed dubbed ones for 8 months. Boo Hoo! Boo Hoo!. I may consider never going to LOS again. Where I stay I don't even get the BBC. Boo Hoo!

I used to vote Labour but I have just given up voting period and its this apathy that is one of the reasons the conservatives are back in power.

In my personal position it makes hardly any difference who gets in, I don't get any family tax benefits or any special allowances. Any medical I pay all out of pocket because our public hospitals are a disgrace, I have no idea what they do with 25% of my income in this country. These PM's at both state and fed level when in opposition do nothing and give us the impression they are "Working for the people" but in reality live in leafy suburbs, huge 6 fig salaries no matter how many jobs are lost, they waste money and are not accountable, sick of the whole thing, its all an "Us" versus "Them" mentality when our leaders should be working together. It seems the world is in permanent "Election Mode", the costs of this could be used in hospital beds for one thing.

The writing has been on the wall for some time! Australia Network was good about five years ago , you could watch rugby union matches, Nrl matches and Afl matches. Ok there were timing conflicts so you could not see the code you wanted all the time, But AN became a political tool a couple of years ago, (the ABC already was) . So for myself I will miss the AFL games to a point ,but as already pointed out by other posters I can & will watch those games on the net. Annoying yes , but not as annoying as sitting through a lot of their shows like Q&A and similar shows.

and when the previous Labour government left Australian with an interest debt of 1 billion (not million but billion) dollars a month

What do you call that

I have property and a company in Australia and and have to pay for all the increased taxes to pay off the massive debt left buy cowboys

so its not just the PTP party

the same is happeing all over the world

to many do gooders who want hand outs and feel they not need to work

and if you had your way the head of state would have over grown grass

Best you not see how much money Temples in Thailand reqires to keep going, you may not sleep tonight

"so its not just the PTP party"

Let me guess. Your wife and her friends told you this.

U can watch the footy on www.wiziwig for free

• Like 1

How I have searched the net for the last couple of years trying extremely hard to find live streaming of Australian news and television shows. Please don't tease me tell me where I can do it on the net

tell us how. I have tried for years. Don't keep it a secret how we can get live streaming to news and television shows from aust Edited by Kooweerup
  • Like 2

I'm told that Aus. pensioners cannot stay out of the country for more than 6 weeks. If they do, they have to apply for their pensions all over again. In other words they can't live abroad. Is this true? Chooka, you seem to know all about these things. I believe that it was Julia something's party that brought that ruling in.

As for boosting Australia's image, anyone watching Australia Network would think the country was entirely populated by giggling retards in animal suits, or violent immature drunks with relationship issues.

AFL, Insiders and Offsiders apart, it had a pretty sorry schedule.

I don't watch the AFL, but I do the Insiders and Offsiders programs.

When I mention the effect it will have on Australia's International perception it's the English Language learning componant which will be missed.

I'm looking at the bigger picture.

The entire language program is here ... http://legacy.australianetwork.com/learningenglish/

Plus, after listening to the head of the ABC discussing this last night, was that a number of journilsts based overseas were funded through the Australia Network's Budget.

I agree with a lot of this Budget ... but this move is very myopic.

How I have searched the net for the last couple of years trying extremely hard to find live streaming of Australian news and television shows. Please don't tease me tell me where I can do it on the net

tell us how. I have tried for years. Don't keep it a secret how we can get live streaming to news and television shows from aust

Be nice if tezza could let us know the details. I thought the News 24 live stream was geo blocked in Thailand but if tezza can get it up in Issan... or is he using a VPN or maybe the tv shows he is watching aren't live.

I'm told that Aus. pensioners cannot stay out of the country for more than 6 weeks. If they do, they have to apply for their pensions all over again. In other words they can't live abroad. Is this true? Chooka, you seem to know all about these things. I believe that it was Julia something's party that brought that ruling in.

Not correct, the Aged Pension is suspended if remaining out of the country beyond the prescribed period. However, without going into the details of eligibility conditions, you can receive Aged Pension if you permanently relocate overseas. If overseas, after 26 weeks, the payment rate is based upon your Working Life Residency.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/outside-australia#a4

I read that the Australian Network will no longer receive funding as it was not acheiving its objectives, in conjunction with AUSAID, for positioning Australia within the Asian market; objectives were defined by DFAT. As people probably know Australian foreign aid funding has been slashed by A$7.6 billion over the next five years

Edited by simple1

As far as I am aware, as of late 2013, you had to be resident in Australia for 2 years, continuous, before being able to apply for the age pension. Once you had the pension, you could then leave Australia, permanently, if you wished, and still get the pension.

However, one of my former students, who works in the Commonweath Public Service in Canberra, informed me that she was aware of a position paper prepared earlier this year for the Abbott Government on the expected savings of denying age and veteran persions to Australian citizens living overseas. But I was not told of the deliberations and conclusions of this paper, or whether any action has been taken.