Working In Thailand As A Trainee

Hi guys,

i've just graduated from a hotel school in switzerland (glion..anyone?). Anyway I got accepted to work as a management trainee at novotel phuket. They asked me to get a B visa but after reading some information off the net I think you also need a working permit to work in thailand. is this correct?

Also they said I would have to renew/extend my visa every 3 months. However after reading some of u guys posts about visa run...do I need to do that too? Coz the hotel didnt mention anything about that.

btw, I'm located in vietnam and I'm new here...lol

thanks for helping

Also they said I would have to renew/extend my visa every 3 months. However after reading some of u guys posts about visa run...do I need to do that too? Coz the hotel didnt mention anything about that.

Since your job is as a trainee, you'll probably get a salary less than 50.000/month? This is a requirement for most Europeans for getting a one year extention of a non-imm B... So, if you get paid less, you'll have to go for the quarterly visaruns. Maybe you can convince your boss that he should pay the costs? (just joking)

well my salary wont be 50K. Is this too risky to work without a working permit but just a non B or non ED visa? coz somehow my hotel kinda avoid talking about this. I mean do they really check if u possess a work permit?

How complicated it can get to make a working permit?

well my salary wont be 50K. Is this too risky to work without a working permit but just a non B or non ED visa? coz somehow my hotel kinda avoid talking about this. I mean do they really check if u possess a work permit?

How complicated it can get to make a working permit?

You will be able to get a work permit and extension of stay based on business even if your pay is zero or even 6,000 Baht per month. You are a trainee/ intern and exceptions apply with applying to the Immigration and Labor Dept. Some of our client interns and even Sunbelt Asia interns have qualified for a long term extension of stay and work permit while getting a nominal salary. Work permit has never been a problem but since April, we have gotten interns qualified also for the extension of stay with a salary of just 6,000 Baht per month. ( no need for visa runs)

If you work without a work permit, your employer and you are commiting a serious crime. The Thai government makes it easy to be legal, so no excuse if you laugh it off, ( that is until the brown suits arrive.)

www.lawyer.th.com