Trang Labor Employment Office tackles human trafficking

webfact

Trang Labor Employment Office tackles human trafficking

TRANG, 14 May 2014 (NNT) –The Trang Provincial Labor Employment Office is holding a campaign to cope with the human trafficking of alien workers.

Sutham Buakaew, the director of Trang Provincial Labor Employment Office, said unskilled foreign laborers have been arriving in growing numbers to cover a labor scarcity.

They come mostly from Myanmar, Laos, and Cambodia. In addition, the 300 baht minimum daily wage also lures more immigrant workers from neighboring countries.

Nevertheless, there is an element of human trafficking, involving unfair wages, exploitation, assaults, and detentions.

Some alien workers have not accessed Thailand’s laws and regulations so they can be deceived and forced to work unfairly. Officials who can speak their languages are now working for the benefit of migrant workers to solve such problems

A training course is to be held on May 20, 2014, at Thammarinthana Hotel, Trang, to provide knowledge of rules and laws, culture, and local traditions for the information of employers.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-14 footer_n.gif

Could they not call all non Thai's something other than Aliens,i don't mind being called falang but this alien thing really get's my goat,what about Non Thai nationals,or something,really Aliens,one wonder what they would do if a Ufo ever landed here would they be Alien, aliens?

Could they not call all non Thai's something other than Aliens,i don't mind being called falang but this alien thing really get's my goat,what about Non Thai nationals,or something,really Aliens,one wonder what they would do if a Ufo ever landed here would they be Alien, aliens?

I think the perception here with many authorities is that we are Aliens........!! Sometimes I think the term "foreigners" is to some, a polite way of calling of us:)

This is the bit from the OP that shows this is not much more than a PR stunt: A training course is to be held on May 20, 2014, at Thammarinthana Hotel, Trang, to provide knowledge of rules and laws, culture, and local traditions for the information of employers.

The training course will be packed out with good, law abiding employers who already follow the law. Amongst those absent will be the very people who are engaging in human trafficking.

In all fairness they are using the correct legal term "Alien"....even the US uses the term "Alien" when referring to people who are not citizens/PR

Besides according to TV's finest " a cultural experts" a farang is a person of western origin, typically a "white" so one supposes, Thailand would have a problem adopting the term legal "farang" to describe persons who are not Thai, as it would exclude other personages in Thailand who were not Thai, but did not fit the description of a Western origin white person either..what you call them ?

biggrin.png