How is better to keep motorbike safely for many months absence?

I have my own registered motorbike in Thailand, but I don't have condo, only rent when I come. I don't want to sell it now because you loose money then you buy/sell/rent again every time when you come back. I'm going to leave until November. I have several Thai friends, but not sure will be safe to give them motorbike as they will surely try to ride and this may cause problems with the law.

Can anyone help with advice how to store motorbike in Thailand safe for long time? My be they have some special service in big cities.

I know a guy that stores his bike in Chiang Mai -I think- at the dealership where he bought the bike. They charge him 1,000 per month.

It all boils down to trust; look in to their eyes and ask yourself "Can I depend on you to safe guard my bike?"

Good luck!

Make sure you have documents in your name then park it some where illegal. The police will pick it up take it to the pound and lock it up

. On your return go to police station with documents and bottle of whiskey .. sorted!

Or just sell it!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

wrap it in cling film and bury it,but make a map ,like the pirates used to,then you can unearth the beast upon your return.

That's inspired.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

wrap it in cling film and bury it,but make a map ,like the pirates used to,then you can unearth the beast upon your return.

as long as there isnt a new shopping centre or condo building there when you return that should be fine ........:)

Not only will they cause problems with the law if your friends try to ride it, but they might just trash it on you. Also, i hope you have theft insurance if you are leaving it with an acquaintance.

I had the same problem last year when I left Thailand. I had a 8 month old Honda Click with 3000km on it and I kept it mint condition. I left it with a Thai friend who was going to charge me 300 baht a month to keep it for me. Of course I neglected to tell him not to ride it, a fatal error. When I came back 3 months later, the motorbike was trashed, scratches all over the bike, and it had over 6000km on it! It also looked like he never washed it, and I was really pissed off at him, but what could I say? I got it professionally cleaned, and it looked good again but I said I will never ever do that again.

The next time i went back home for 3 months, I just decided to sell the bike for 20,000 less than i paid for it 16 months before, and take the loss which averaged 1200 baht per month which was less than renting anyway. The theft insurance had run out after a year, and to reinsure it was going to be 7500 baht for 1 year for theft coverage. Plus I found a storage unit in BKK that was going to charge me 4500 per month just for the bike, so between the almost 15,000 for storage for 3 months and 7500 baht for insurance, I just decided to sell it and buy a new bike when I came back. I bought a new bike, and got 2 years theft insurance when I bought it, so the next time I go back home, wherever I leave it, I wont worry so much about it getting stolen. That was my biggest concern.

My advice to you is this:

1. Make sure its insured for theft

2. Leave it with someone stable that you think will be there until you get back

3. Take the key with you

4. Drain all the gas and oil out of it so the gas doesnt varnish in the tank and clog your injectors or carb.

5. Stay in contact with whoever you leave with a minimum of twice a month while youre gone so if something happens, you can take action quickly

6. Take anything valuable off the bike such as luggage, options, etc.

7. Make sure the tires are filled so as to avoid flat spots

8. Trickle charge the battery if you can because it will help when you come back. If not, maybe disconnect the battery altogether if the battery is charged now.

9. Cover the exhaust to keep critters out.

Good luck and I know how you feel!

• Like 1

If you are near Pattaya then I recommend Pattaya self storage which is a secure facility with lock up storage lockers, rooms etc. It is run by a friend of mine who has lived there for around 30 years and is a wealthy coin dealer which is one reason why he built a secure storage facility.

Pattaya Self Storage 391/147 Moo 10, Thappraya Road, Pattaya

http://www.pattayaselfstorage.co.th/

main-1_11.jpg

• Like 1

Asked my Thai mechanic...if he could store it for me...he could...when I returned...the bike had been wrecked...and parts from the bike...which had nothing to do with being wrecked...were missing...of course...he knew nothing about any of this...This is Thailand...

• Like 2

I know a guy that stores his bike in Chiang Mai -I think- at the dealership where he bought the bike. They charge him 1,000 per month.

It all boils down to trust; look in to their eyes and ask yourself "Can I depend on you to safe guard my bike?"

Good luck!

Good luck indeed.

I had a '64 panhead FLH I used to store for years at a time--easy enough, gas drained, oil to the brim, battery out, WD40 all over, jacked-up off tires, and covered in a temperature controlled space in my cousin's garage.

After returning every other year or so and getting it running for a couple of weeks at a time, an old friend of mine asked to buy it. His logic, you ride it so seldom, let me buy it. I will restore it and whenever you come home, I'll let you ride it for a couple of weeks--no worries. Finally, I sold it to him. He sold it within six months.

You can visit him at Forest Lawn.

• Like 1

Here in the Chiang Mai/Hang Dong area there are places that can be rented for 2000 or so baht a month. Pay for the time you are going to be gone up front and lock it up.

gee, that's economical, avoid paying B1k/mo at a garage and pay B2k/mo somewhere.

• Like 1

I'd be getting a little metal container made up for the bike, so it's sealed, then you can store it with more confidence.

That would cost as much or more than the bike is worth, it's a scooter , not a vintage ducatti

If it gets a bit scratched the plastics are only a few hundred baht to replace...

I leave mine at the condo building where I rent. I have a cover on it. When I return I shake the bike back and forth and sideways to get any particles in the gas tank mixed up, so it doesn't clog the line. Has worked so far.

• Like 1