Camera gadets in Thailand

How is is compared to purchasing camera or lens in Thailand vs. US? I will be in Thailand in two weeks and I was curious if it is cheaper to get couple good lens there or just purchased here before going there?

Any advise or recommendation?

I'm a keen amateur photographer and have bought many lens filters from stalls in Thailand and never had any problems. However I avoid buying things like detachable lenses such as macro, zoom etc. The reason being I am sceptical over the authenticity of these goods. My scepticism also extends to tablets, laptops, cameras, telephones - in fact any branded electronic goods.

I'm a keen amateur photographer and have bought many lens filters from stalls in Thailand and never had any problems. However I avoid buying things like detachable lenses such as macro, zoom etc. The reason being I am sceptical over the authenticity of these goods. My scepticism also extends to tablets, laptops, cameras, telephones - in fact any branded electronic goods.

What about underwear / briefs ? Trust people here enough ? :-)

check price in US and compare with Thailand price on internet.

Not the point Susan, how can you establish authenticity on the internet? Assume you are buying a copy.

If you are buying from a shop like Big Camera . co. th or even powerbuy .co. th - they won't be fake.

• Like 2

^^^ I agree with FS above...mind you there are some sales happening on an irregular basis

if that's any help. If I was in the US I'd buy there instead of here. Now if you're stopping

in Hong Kong or Singapore before Bangkok...you may save a bit of US$$$.

Not the point Susan, how can you establish authenticity on the internet? Assume you are buying a copy.

If you are buying from a shop like Big Camera . co. th or even powerbuy .co. th - they won't be fake.

I wouldn't take that as gospel.

Why have you been sold a fake? Logically, do you really believe a big name retailer would risk it?

Sent from my LG-P970

Buying grey market is more likely than accidentally buying a fake. Check out the international warranty conditions whenever you buy a body/lens somewhere other than your native country - or even within it. Suspiciously cheap stuff will often have to be sent back to some country other than your own for repair under warranty (or indeed for authorised repair at all...).

First of all, have you ever seen a "fake" camera or lens anywhere? It's hard to fake a complicated electronics gadget. Sure, you can buy a fake iPhone in many places; but 5 seconds using it and you know it is just a joke.

To suggest that major retailers would risk their reputation, and their source of supply, by selling fakes (which don't exist), is just ridiculous.

Grey goods are not fakes, they are real products that have been brought into the country without going through the brand importer and therefore not covered by the brand's warranty. Again, the big retailers would never touch these. Just takes one customer to complain and the retailer would lose the right to sell the brand concerned.

I have bought from Big Camera, Camera World and PowerBuy; they are all professional and reputable retailers.

• Like 1

There are lots of fake filters knocking about in Thailand mainly Hoya and Cokin, even lots of fakes on amazon uk and ebay, to look at you wouldn't notice until you put it side by side with a genuine one and notice the coatings are inferior to the genuine. Not having a dig just beware.

• Like 1

There are lots of fake filters knocking about in Thailand mainly Hoya and Cokin, even lots of fakes on amazon uk and ebay, to look at you wouldn't notice until you put it side by side with a genuine one and notice the coatings are inferior to the genuine. Not having a dig just beware.

I take onboard what you say Mr Worx, I think it's highly likely the ones I have are not authentic but they do a decent job. I've used them for longer exposures in time lapse. I have drawn a distinction between electronic goods and filters purely because of the price. I'd much rather risk a few £££'s on a filter than hundreds on camera hardware or even a tablet, laptop etc. I know it's an extreme example but when you see an iphone shop which looks identical to a legit iphone shop even down to the display cabinets and know it is not the real thing then scepticism does creep in. For this reason I'd only ever buy electronic goods from a western retailer or off Amazon.