Tourist Visa Questions

Hello Everyone,

I have a Filipino friend coming to visit me in Thailand for what he hopes can be an extended stay. He is under age 50, single, and will not be working or studying here. He will travel around Thailand, travel outside of Thailand, and also be staying at my house in Chiang Mai. I have a few questions with regard to tourist visas for him.

1. If he arrives without a tourist visa but with an onward flight ticket and is granted 30 day visa exempt entry, is it allowed for him to go to Vientiane before the 30 day period ends and get a tourist visa there so he can reenter Thailand and stay longer?

2. If he gets a tourist visa in the Philippines before coming to Thailand, must he have an onward flight ticket?

3. If he gets a double entry tourist visa in the Philippines, does this allow him to enter then leave and then reenter Thailand a second time and without getting a reentry permit?

4. I understand that a normal tourist visa is valid for 90 days during which time one is allowed to remain in Thailand for 60 days only. Now, in the case of a double entry tourist visa, is it still 90 days of validity and then 2 entries into Thailand, but still a total of 60 days only in Thailand for the two entries is allowed, or does the double entry tourist visa provide a longer period of validity and a longer period of time to be allowed to remain in Thailand such as, for example, validity 180 days and allowed number of days in Thailand 120?

I apologize for asking questions that have probably been asked before, but, although I find a lot of information about visas, a lot of it is confusing to me.

Thanks for people's help here.

David

1. Yes

2. More than likely because they are very strict in Manila when issuing tourist visa for Filipinos.

3.Yes

4.A tourist visa allows a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days at immigration. If the visa is valid for 90 day the 2nd entry must be made prior to the enter before date. The 90 days is only for visa validity it does not limit the amount of time that can be spent in the country.