World Cup TV coverage in the Thailand?

Does anyone have an update on what is happening with TV coverage for the big event, which is only a month away now.

I read that RS had bought the rights and would only allow 22 matches to be viewed on free to air (Ch 7), but the broadcasting authorities apparently insisted that all 64 games had to be available free, but on appeal a court had upheld the RS position.

I haven't heard anything since, does anyone know if this is the final outcome.

Also remembering how awful for an English speaker the Thai coverage was for the 2010 WC, I am not so excited about watching CH 7 coverage anyway.

So the next question, is does anyone know how the RS coverage can be obtained and if it can be for a short burst. I currently subscribe to CTH and True and do not really want a third provider, but I would like to watch some of the live football with English coverage, without having to use internet streaming.

Any updates or sensible ideas anyone, ie other than flying to another country for June, not watching it at all etc etc???

• Like 1

If your internet is good I would advise getting 365sport. 600 baht a month and 300 baht for the install on your computer. Buy a HDMI cable and plug into your TV. They take their football from Astro and Fox Sports so all commentary is in English

Mooner - isn't 365 sport the same set up as Expat TV ? I tried their coverage at the start of the PL in August, before getting CTH, and I found that it was running about 10 minutes behind real time, is that still the case?

Also, do you have to commit beyond 1 month?

Susan, I have used wiziwig, but I am just not that keen on streaming, I find that you I cant relax, waiting for the feed to suddenly stop at a crucial point.

Also, it means having to configure the computer with the tv, not as comfortable as just watching the box.

Does anyone know anything about how to get this RS supply??

I believe it will be on Ch7 free to air as per MCOT wishes. I think the current nonsense in BKK would be nothing compared to the outcry were the WC not free to air. All the lads in the market near me have their bets firmly on already (for what it's worth I fancy the Ivory Coast as a long shot).

I use cablestreamer.com a box that has all the cable shows, sports and movies and interntational news - there is nothing better as a profesional cable media solution in Bangkok.

It uses internet, I have a 4 meg internet connection which is minimal, and it never misses a beat, just plug in a lan cable for internet, and hdmi in to the TV.

Been workign for 2 years pefectly in HD. I know everyone suggests other services. But good luck finding a better system. It wont happen.

It will have ALL the matchs from Fox sports, FOX HD, Astro including the World cup football.

Been watching the premier league all of the matches also with out a problem with English Commentary.

Edited by Bkklocal
  • Like 1

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/world-football/asia/12429-thai-regulator-insists-all-world-cup-finals-games-must-broadcast-free-to-air

I am in HK and currently deciding whether to come back Thailand before or after the WC! It seems from the link above all the games will be on free to air?

If you have decent internet then just watch it on UK television on livetvcafe or something. But I'm in the Thai countryside when I come back so am relying on free to air.

I use cablestreamer.com a box that has all the cable shows, sports and movies and interntational news - there is nothing better as a profesional cable media solution in Bangkok.

It uses internet, I have a 4 meg internet connection which is minimal, and it never misses a beat, just plug in a lan cable for internet, and hdmi in to the TV.

Been workign for 2 years pefectly in HD. I know everyone suggests other services. But good luck finding a better system. It wont happen.

It will have ALL the matchs from Fox sports, FOX HD, Astro including the World cup football.

Been watching the premier league all of the matches also with out a problem with English Commentary.

Followed the link. Seems excellent option. From your experience, does the signal die come bandwidth throttling time...say, 1700 to 2400...Both Wiziwig and Setanta online become useless when the servers here commence international bandwidth throttling in evenings, weekends and school holidays.

Can you record on the box also?

Kick off times are not great ranging from 11pm to 5am(Thai time) . Not quite as bad as Japan/Korea 2002 for those who were in UK. Beers for breakfast sick.gif Englands games are starting at v Italy 5am, v Uraguay 2am, Costa Rica 11pm.... I will be in Patts so hopefully some of the Bars will have it on.

Edited by wingman662

Kick off times are not great ranging from 11pm to 5am(Thai time) . Not quite as bad as Japan/Korea 2002 for those who were in UK. Beers for breakfast sick.gif Englands games are starting at v Italy 5am, v Uraguay 2am, Costa Rica 11pm.... I will be in Patts so hopefully some of the Bars will have it on.

I did ask my local bar here in Pattaya if they had world cup coverage and he said no problem as sophon cable will have it on the astro channels they carry.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Reen - the article was dated 3oth April, I agree, but 2013 !! over one year ago, there has been legal activity since then!!

That is why I started the thread, to see if anyone knew what the latest news was and how you can get this RS service as I would really like to avoid internet viewing if possible.

I did ask my local bar here in Pattaya if they had world cup coverage and he said no problem as sophon cable will have it on the astro channels they carry.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There was certaintly no problems when world cup 2010 was on. So should be fine despite the late times.

Because of the timing --I will download and watch while eating Breakfast, I belong to a few private sites (no cost) I would be happy to PM links of matches to anyone else that want....Also I know of many private sites you can join for a small fee ( I don't want to upset T.V. by posting them--as 365 is a paying customer here) The site's usually have the 1st half up to watch as the 2nd half is kicking off....its perfect for home--if the time was better I would go to a bar with friends, but my days of getting wiped & paying for over price beers are long over..... I like the download, if a match is no good , or is slow..FF or switch to another.

BBC and ITV from U.K. are showing world cup along with TSnN from Canada and ESPN from America. There is a local Bangkok firm called watchglobal.tv that carries all those channels.

Just get an IP address in the UK and you can watch for free, no need to pay.

is channel 7 on all channels? i have CTH, is free to air channel 7 on there somewhere? This is important as England are going to do well this year! (i was alive in 1966 and still live in hope! although i am getting on a bit now...)

Channel 7 is carried by most, if not all, Satellite and Cable TV providers... But like the Euros last time if you are not using the provider which bought the rights, or in case of the Euros were watching using an aerial then the matches were blocked out. It sounds like the WC will only be viewable using an aerial for a limited number of matches.

• Like 1

Astro are setting up 10 additional dedicated channels for the WC - Sophon and the like take their feeds from current Astro channels, i.e. Supersport 1, 2, 3. I'm not sure how that will work out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just bought a PSI 02 HD box, no translation, nothing, it is hooked up, seems it s working, does any one know, if you can rerun the game the day after, since all games are middle of night here ...thanks

This is the only way to get a HD signal legally in Thailand. Channel 333 will show repeats of all the games, BUT no English commentary.

Ch 7 will show some games and so will Ch 8, but only 22 of the 64, however it will show 2 qf, the sf's and the final.

All England's group games on RS only.

You can buy a RS box from 7/11.

Bars have to pay 30,000 so I'm not sure if they will be showing it, there is talk of inspectors working with the police to check bars in Pattaya. What some bars do not know is they have to have the license even to show the free to air games.

I will be surprised if Sophon cable show the Astro games as they would be in big trouble from RS, but this is Pattaya

Best way to view with English commentary is to stream BBC and ITV from UK. ( bars will still have to pay 30,00 t do this and possible face a fine for showing an illegal stream in public.

Astro are setting up 10 additional dedicated channels for the WC - Sophon and the like take their feeds from current Astro channels, i.e. Supersport 1, 2, 3. I'm not sure how that will work out.

Just done a bit of searching and it appears that the world cup games are on 'Astro Arena' & 'Astro On The Go' not Supersport 1,2,3. Sophon said (when I called them the other day) they would show the world cup on Astro.

My BIG question is will they be able to show either of these 2 other channels ??

This may help:

All 64 World Cup matches can be watched through four free TV channels on every system — the Royal Army-owned TV Channel 5, BBTV’s Channel 7, RS’s Channel 8 and Channel 11.

Channel 5 will broadcast the opening and final matches from Brazil in high definition via its digital terrestrial system. Its network covers more than 50% of the population. The army-run channel will broadcast 38 games.

Channel 7 will broadcast 29 matches, Channel 8 will air 56 matches and Channel 11 will broadcast all 64 matches.

Ong-Art Singlumpong, managing director of RS’s Channel 8, said Fifa, the World Cup organiser, has accepted the new conditions for RS and approved the broadcast on channels 5, 7 and 8, while the green light for Channel 11 is still pending.

For football fans who want to watch more than the kick-off, they can access pre-competition, rerun matches, sport training and exclusive programmes directly from the Fifa feed, which is being aired for the first time in Thailand on RS’s World Cup Channel.

The World Cup Channel can be viewed on PSI HD set-top boxes and TrueVisions.