Fingerprint scans to debut at Thai Immigration to catch known criminals

webfact

Where else in the region do they fingerprint tourist arrivals like this?

Presumably going to be checked against biometrics?

Do they even have automated readers yet? Doesn't Somchai still key the data in by hand. At least, once its done the whole system will be automated and less open to abuse.

They might even catch a few Thai criminals . kamnan po only hung out in his own house for 10 years. I am sure the other major criminals will just get caught at a border post.

Cambodia and Malaysia at least.

Do they fingerprint in Malaysia? All arrivals?

I don't remember that.

In 2011 I was in Malaysia with a Singapore grand prix tour. We stayed at the old Hyatt in JB in Malaysia just over the border and crossed back and forward every day, for five days.

On the second day I was singled out for finger printing because I did not look like the photo in my 2003 passport. I don't know what good that would have done, as my prints are not on record at home in Australia or anywhere else?

I used to travel to the US several times a year, but since they started the finger print nonsense I have not bothered, I decided to spend my dollars elsewhere. I probably give Thailand the flick as I live here now.

Maybe Malaysia are finger printing everyone, after the infamous aircraft disappearance.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they even have automated readers yet? Doesn't Somchai still key the data in by hand. At least, once its donebig problem. the whole system will be automated and less open to abuse.

They might even catch a few Thai criminals . kamnan po only hung out in his own house for 10 years. I am sure the other major criminals will just get caught at a border post.

Cambodia has been doing this for years. Not a big problem.

Do they even have automated readers yet? Doesn't Somchai still key the data in by hand. At least, once its done the whole system will be automated and less open to abuse.

In answer to your first question, Cambodia.

In answer to your second question, Here's a quote from the OP. "Fingerprint scanners were chosen over biometric passport scanners as they are better able to identify criminals who have officially changed their names and have passports under their new identities, Gen Pharnu said."

I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

• Like 1

I don't remember that.

I live in Kuala Lumpur and go to Bangkok every 3-4 weeks on business. Now after mh370 I'm getting fingerprinted on both leaving Malaysia and coming back at LCCT most of the times. Before it might have been only once every fifth time.

The fingerprint scanning is fairly quick - less than 5 seconds and usually the clerk is doing his usual stuff meanwhile. But come to think about it, the lines to immigration has been *much* longer nowadays compared to before but I've been attributing that to having bad luck having my flight arrive just after some flight with a lot of 'undesirables'...

...this specifically mentions Koreans and Russians but Thailand still willingly issues visas/approves entry to thousands of visitors from African countries. I would guess that the majority of those are up to no good and into scams or drugs. They will continue to arrive as normal ( together with genuine/legit visitors from those countries, a smaller number). It's quite odd.

God knows what the real tourism figures will be after they finish their crackdown. Every single tourist?

Damn that will take a while to process. Standing behind a queue of Chinese arrivals is going to be even more joyous.

It will have no impact on REAL tourism.

One simple question, Will the finger print scanners be attached to anything in real time or otherwise ? Who is then going to manage the database, and will that database include fingerprints ( criminal) from other countries? ---- or is this simply a show of "scanning your fingerprints"

Totally neccessary to put up a front

Bit like when they took all the fake gear off the streets when George Bush was here............minute he left it was back in a flash.

But Thailand was seen to be fighting knock offs.

After the Flight MH370 incident some official explained why the crackdown

2 individual from Iran boarded the plain with passports stolen in Thailand.

It would be economic suicide for Thailand not to seen to be atempting to be part of international travel security after this.

How much will come out of the original budget and end up somewhere it shouldn't be is the big question

If you want to tender to supply these machines then find the cheapest ones on the planet, offer a free finger print ink pad with each one and you're sure to get the order

" Mai pen rai..."....

But wouldn't it be much more interesting to scan/fingerprint all the "Corrupts"...Oôôôôh...Meaning: police, teachers, "oboto's"...let's say all who wear uniforms and not to forget all politicians...cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif ...

"You can't change your finger prints".....hmm....well my missus no longer has finger prints after years of washing dishes in the bar.

It was amusing when she went for her UK visa. They had to scan her fingers about 3 or 4 times before accepting that is just the way her fingers are. haha

In answer to your first question, Cambodia.

In answer to your second question, Here's a quote from the OP. "Fingerprint scanners were chosen over biometric passport scanners as they are better able to identify criminals who have officially changed their names and have passports under their new identities, Gen Pharnu said."

I hope that satisfies your curiosity.

They seem to be adding the finger prints to the biometric data and that should be fine with honest people.

I don't remember that.

Exactly how good are these machines in matching fingerprints ? My mind instantly goes to old TV series where a fingerprint match would take days in a high end spook facility.

I imagine after trying to get a machine to match the print to a database entry using a crappy internet line and having thousands of tourists wait their turn will result in one thing: a bag on the gizmo and business as usual.

I don't remember that.

Hi Orlando, They have being doing it for a least the past six months and another improvement, there is no inbound immigration form to complete, if you remember the old one it was like completing war and peace. generally I get through fairly quickly however then again, KL does not have the tourist numbers that Thailand has.

I went through Tuas checkpoint from Singapore to Malaysia last week and the Malaysians had finger print scanners, I think fairly recently installed. They were not using them but I was told by friends who had been through a few weeks before that they were all fingerprinted. It is the way countries are going

As a free man, if one can say so nowadays, the taking of fingerprints for most people borders on feeling seen as a criminal.

Never mind, Thailand continues on the route to being an not so much liked tourist destination.

I cannot escape the feeling the powers to be want to extend their premises.

And what better way as using a mistake made to claim a huge amount of money for extending one's field of interest.

Even fingerprinting all tourists will not give a 100% security.

There are still borders to cross freely, there are still possibilities to stay under the radar.

And the idea that "changing" one's fingerprints is not possible, is wrong.

And criminals with enough money can buy anything, even other fingerprints, although they are temporary.

Till now.

But what are we complaining about, all Thai people when applying for an ID-card are also fingerprinted.

One simple question, Will the finger print scanners be attached to anything in real time or otherwise ? Who is then going to manage the database, and will that database include fingerprints ( criminal) from other countries? ---- or is this simply a show of "scanning your fingerprints"

"The general recognized that scanning fingerprints would not flag any inbound foreigners unless they had a criminal record in Thailand or were wanted by Interpol."

I guess the most of us have already a biometric password. Into the RFID chip are our fingerprints saved. At every Thailand border our passport get scanned. Technically they are already able to read out the biometric datas. I'm curios if those information got already saved in a database.

Thai's are technically illiterate. (That's illiterate with technology...many are also illiterate with wurds and grammer). They are also unable to show initiative, and are corrupt and lazy. Whichever way the system works, it will be very brief and will have broken down within months of inception. The bureaucracies don't co-operate with each other, and generally hinder each others development out of spite, so information will just sit and gather dust, (literally, as most of it won't be digitised as the scanners will be broken). So, while they think this knee jerk reaction makes them look good, it will simply highlight their ineptitude in the long run, as more villains continue to work their way effortlessly through Thailand's borders. Off topic... Suvarnabhumi airport is about 10 years old, and looks like it's 50. The level of maintenance and attention to detail is absolutely embarrassing. Get it right Thailand... time is running out. </rant>clap2.gif

"The general recognized that scanning fingerprints would not flag any inbound foreigners unless they had a criminal record in Thailand or were wanted by Interpol."

Wanted by interpol .. means access to interpol fingerprint DB. I very highly doubt this could be a real-time system, or even one that matches prints as batches afterwards. My guess is the matching will only happen after the <deleted> has hit the fan in some way.

It's good move for double nationality passport holder and change name re-enter back with new name on passport but still concern about germs on that machine as thousand people putting finger into same spot of the same scanner machine, a very unhygienic manner .

It's good move for double nationality passport holder and change name re-enter back with new name on passport but still concern about germs on that machine as thousand people putting finger into same spot of the same scanner machine, a very unhygienic manner .

Germs? Lol get yourself some gloves then and don't touch anything in public!

If you've been through LA as a non-USA passport holder you'll get some idea of what it's going to be like. Thailand is generally a very easy place in terms of getting through the international airport. Even Heathrow is harder wink.png

P.S. -- I'll happily stand in a queue if it keeps the foreign thugs out -- there's enough home-grown ones wink.png

These issues and the more onerous entry requirements should be blamed on those who cause the problems, not those trying to cope with them.

How often are people with too many visas or visa exempt stamps in their passports or years of overstaying advised in these forums to "lose" their passports and get new ones? How many people brag about "choosing" not to pay for medical insurance or about the "countless times" they've run back & forth across a border or how they solved their extension problems by pretending to be a student or ...

And of course if someone posts a negative reaction to these boasts about using loopholes or circumventing the intention of the rules, he is told to get off his high horse or to stop being smug or whatever.

Looks like a whole lot of chickens are coming home to roost. I hope I don't sound smug in saying that ... actually I don't care.

chickens-dont-come-home-to-roost.jpg

What has people using the 30 visa's legally, and not having medical insurance to do with fingerprinting? Is it illegal? No, i don't think so.

I don't remember that.

Nope ... when through the LCCC at KL 2 weeks ago.

That's what I thought.

So basically no one fingerprints this many people in the region. 24mn tourist visitors.

Good luck.[/quote

On a recent voyage by boat from Phuket to Langkawi, Malaysia in March, everyone aboard the boat had fingerprints scanned including our 6 year old daughter. We were told by Malaysian immigration that everyone entering Malaysia will go through this process as soon as the scanners are installed. Perhaps KL does not yet have enough scanners to start doing this. It is a very quick process and according to the Malaysian immigration offocer, this is all connected to the Malaysian Airlines incident.