Fingerprint scans to debut at Thai Immigration to catch known criminals

webfact

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where else in the region do they fingerprint tourist arrivals like this?

Presumably going to be checked against biometrics?

Do they even have automated readers yet? Doesn't Somchai still key the data in by hand. At least, once its done the whole system will be automated and less open to abuse.

They might even catch a few Thai criminals . kamnan po only hung out in his own house for 10 years. I am sure the other major criminals will just get caught at a border post.

• Like 1

Do they even have automated readers yet? Doesn't Somchai still key the data in by hand. At least, once its done the whole system will be automated and less open to abuse.

They might even catch a few Thai criminals . kamnan po only hung out in his own house for 10 years. I am sure the other major criminals will just get caught at a border post.

Cambodia and Malaysia at least.

Do they fingerprint in Malaysia? All arrivals?

I don't remember that.

Cambodia and Malaysia at least.
Do they fingerprint in Malaysia? All arrivals?

I don't remember that.

Not all, but it seems they do some as has been reported.

There will be a lot of teaching jobs open with all the new immigration rules. The number of illegal foriegners without the correct visa is enormous. I know personally of many who do visa runs bi weekly to stay and teach in thailand. This fingerprinting may also reduce some of the russian mafia that is here. Getting into thailand may become harder and stricter for tourists but staying here will be harder

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

surely a work permit stops all that hassle....or are they undesirable people..

• Like 1

They have been fingerprint scanning at Tokyo Narita Airport since 2007.

Doesn't really add that much time, but then again, Thailand isn't as efficient as Japan.

So it will probably add hours ! smile.png

I went through there maybe 4 or 5 years ago, so 2009/10 ... I never got fingerprinted ... w00t.gif

• Like 1

God knows what the real tourism figures will be after they finish their crackdown. Every single tourist?

Damn that will take a while to process. Standing behind a queue of Chinese arrivals is going to be even more joyous.

Frustratin I know,but they've had in KL for a while,not departueres alas (MH7310 !)

Howvere once you've been through once your dabs are on the database,not sure if expires when your passport does.They ve been around years in hi tech companys we had in offices Finland years ago

What do they need fingerprints for ?

Many of the criminals are known to the police already or even have a very lucrative "business" relationship with them!

(See boiler room boys, prostitution, drugs...)

I rather guess that one of the fingerprint scanners which costs about 80-100 $ US will have a hefty price tag of 2000 $ or more in Thailand nice opportunity to fill somebodies pockets!

"...part of the bureau’s effort to prevent foreign criminals from entering Thailand..."

I suppose they couldn't get work permits since they would be taking jobs away from all the home grown criminals. It's just an effort by government officials to protect their own interests. wai2.gif wai2.gifwai2.gif

Edited by jaltsc

Whatever......money makes the world go round.

How about a new to be invented "liner pistol" a copy of the explosives tracker, but in the liners case picks out the criminals whom waiting in long lines trying to get into Thailand.

T.I.T

next please!

I don't see what all the fuss is about. If you have nothing to hide then why worry? Ok it may add a bit of extra time when your entering the kingdom but so what?

I guess if one is in a rush then they can always purchase one of the fast track options.

• Like 2