Travel Insurance For American Citizens To The Usa

farangene

I searched the forum for this topic and couldn't find anything useful.

I then tried to get a quote from one of the board sponsors but it turns out that their travel insurance to America is apparently available only to non-US citizens.

I am American and plan to travel to the US for a month. I live in Thailand most of the time but maintain a residence in the US. I would like to purchase health insurance to cover any major unexpected health problems during my travel time in the US.

Have any Americans purchased travel health insurance for the US from a company that they would recommend??

Thanks.

not sure if this is the company you used, but these people are based out of Wisconsin. I just used them to travel back to BKK less than 2 months ago and they seem very helpful

ww.travelguard.com

The company I tried before was an Arizona company.

TravelGuard also has restrictions. Unfortunately, US policies are not available for US citizens according to their website.

Believe most local insurance cover have provisions for travel so perhaps that would be a better choice? That way you would have cover here too and it might work out to be very little more than a short term travel policy every year or so (even if you find any you can actually buy).

a travel rider from your local supplier would be best ...

but maybe you can check with a real travel agent? like Carlson Wagonlit<sp?>

Edited by jdinasia

I did that with the local Blue Cross Blue Shield office, check the BUPA website for Thailand. I told them I was a US citizen living in Thailand and it was no problem, there were several levels of coverage offered.

BTW I have a non-imm visa with a one year extension, don't know if that makes a difference or not.

BUPA is not the US Blue Cross/Blue Shield although they used to call themselves Blue Cross.

Formerly known as BUPA Blue Cross, BUPA
The parent company, BUPA (British United Provident Association)

I am the Original Poster and would like to update this thread with info that I have found out.

I emailed the company that I noted above (Insurance Service of America located in Gilbert Arizona) asking them specifically about coverage for US citizens traveling in the US.

They DO have a package called "Liason International" for ex-pats that is not mentioned on their website. Coverage ranges from $50Kto $1M and the premium also depend on your age and deductible amount chosen. The insurance also includes some accidental death insurance, common carrier ins. dental ins. loss luggage ins., etc. The policies are offered from 5 days to 12 months.

A policy for a 60 yo for $50K with zero ded is $160 per mo. The same pkg with a $1000 ded is $128. For a 35 yo the price is $63 or $50. They emailed me the 7 page ins. description and 1 page application.

The Insurance Co. (Specialty Risk International) is rated A- by AM Best (a US based company that rates insurance compainies). One item that attracted me to this company was that American Airlines Inflight magazine did an article on them. They seem professional in the 4-5 emails that we have exchanged. They have a list of their US medical partner's facilities on the web (Hygeia)

Hope this doesn't sound too much like an ins. advertisement but thought info might be useful to others who were contemplating a trip to the US and wanted ins. coverage. :o