Hua Hin land prices... Shaking my head here.

thelongshoot

Possibly this could be helpful to you, I have 1230 sq. metres in a lovely setting, 15 min. from the beach. water and power on site. west hua hin. near all good golf courses. mountaim views, No flooding problems.Price 1,000,000 bht.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes....we can all thank the exploitive foreigners who have come to thailand to exploit the poor thai land owners.  I recently chatted with a "real estate agent" who is proud of the fact that he has made billions acting as a middle-man and selling land owned by poor thai people.  He markets the land to foreigners only!  He is a pompous 'f' and represent exactly why land prices have gotten so out of control....G R E E D.  It seems that no matter what country I choose to live in....GREED is always there.

If Hua Hin is so bad then why do you want to buy land here? Unless it's to buy and then sell on for a massive profit, though that's what you were complaining about other people doing.

Don't forget the prices are probably higher here because of hua hin's status as a royal town which probably pushes up the prices somewhat.

Hua Hin is still expanding as far as I can tell judging by all the new condos and hotels going up, so high prices are just a factor of supply and demand (and greedy people trying to sell what they bought for 15 times the price!)...someone must be paying big bucks or the owners would never get a sale and prices would have to come down.

You are right - I was ranting previously, Hua hin isnt so bad.  The point I was trying to make, albeit fudged by my rant, was that Hua Hin in my opinion is not as desirable as the land prices suggest.  Is it fair to say this is a third world country?  If so, then why are the land prices similar to desirable locations in the US, Australia, UK?  I genuinely dont get it.  The beaches are not that great - to say they are crap is not fair so I take that back, but they definatley are not very pretty.  I am right about the shopping centers, which are mediocre at best and there are few decent places to nip out and have a beer.  It suits me here for various reasons but that is a different point entirely.

My point is the prices are very high for what is a fairly average resort styled town.

If Hua Hin is so bad then why do you want to buy land here? Unless it's to buy and then sell on for a massive profit, though that's what you were complaining about other people doing.

Don't forget the prices are probably higher here because of hua hin's status as a royal town which probably pushes up the prices somewhat.

Hua Hin is still expanding as far as I can tell judging by all the new condos and hotels going up, so high prices are just a factor of supply and demand (and greedy people trying to sell what they bought for 15 times the price!)...someone must be paying big bucks or the owners would never get a sale and prices would have to come down.

You are right - I was ranting previously, Hua hin isnt so bad.  The point I was trying to make, albeit fudged by my rant, was that Hua Hin in my opinion is not as desirable as the land prices suggest.  Is it fair to say this is a third world country?  If so, then why are the land prices similar to desirable locations in the US, Australia, UK?  I genuinely dont get it.  The beaches are not that great - to say they are crap is not fair so I take that back, but they definatley are not very pretty.  I am right about the shopping centers, which are mediocre at best and there are few decent places to nip out and have a beer.  It suits me here for various reasons but that is a different point entirely.

My point is the prices are very high for what is a fairly average resort styled town.

I do second the opinion of the Longshoot here. Longshoot calls Hua Hin ' fairly average'. I'll say.. I will also say the Hua Hin beach is not good at all.  

In the end when you live somewehere how much time do you really spend at the beach.   

We stay at Cha-am, which is quieter.

An as for the Central City and the main road, too slavishly boring a mixture of Western and Thailand al together.

As Thailand matures it will realize the importance of stand alone single story accommodation. 

Edited by peterquixote

Maybe it depends a bit where you are looking for land. We live about 18 km from Hua Hin (from Market Village) near Pranburi. We bought half a rai for 450.000 baht and at the moment the prices around us have gone up a bit (though we had a discount) to approximately 500.000 baht for half a rai.

Prices in Hua Hin are ridiculously high. I totally agree with you. Compared to many places in Thailand though, Hua Hin is a very nice place. But compared worldwide, it can't really match. How great it would be if there would be a stretch along the coast with nice restaurants and places to have a drink, sit and relax and just wandering about.

Instead it is in fact another place built around Pethkasem Road and divided by it.

But the place is popular among pensionados and Bangkokians who have their weekendplaces here. People who are ridiculously rich and don't really care for the prices.

And prices are going up.

At the moment we live in a small quiet street with one neighbour. Behind, in front and right of us is only pineapple land and grassland. I don't know about the land opposite, but the others are for sale... In the short time (one year) that we live here, we saw at least three resorts built and one is starting to build soon. 7/11 has a shop nearby and two family marts came shortly after that.

Our vegetable market was "clean" of ferangs until a year ago, but lately more and more are coming. Last year I lived in a village with about 20 ferangs. Now there are 40. Because of that, land prices are going up.

It's hard to imagine, but I believe in about 10 years from now a great deal of the land will be sold and prices here will go higher for sure....

Have a look at Pran Buri district. Still plenty of land available for below 1m baht per rai. Obviously beach front will be more expensive.

but if you have time, I suggest to wait until prices for land and property come down again. Prices across Thailand are overinflated and will fall again if the economy continues to be weak or further weakens.

For those who suggest land & property prices only go up, have a look what happened to prices after the Asian crisis 1997 in Thailand or to property prices in the US or Spain in 2008. History tella you otherwise

Did you know that in Spain the prices have recovered to pre 2008 prices.

You can today buy anywhere in Thailand at pre 1997 prices ?

The prices in Spain have not recovered. You can buy both land and houses for very very low prices. And every person that like to buy have a thousend different sellers to choose from. Many of them have been trying to sell for years

Thailand is not a third world country ! And Hua hin is so bad, and you hate buffalo and the beach are crap, why do you want a land there ?

Go back to home and buy a land near your Miami beach !

Congratulations, it took 18 posts for someone to tell him to go home. Grow up!

One thing that makes land so cheap in Thailand vs the US is the fact that you hardly pay anything in property taxes in Thailand whereas some states in the US can have extremely high property taxes after the initial purchase.   So when you compare land prices in Hua Hin to Florida or some other place, shouldn't you factor in the taxes you'd pay for say then next 10 years and come up with a comparison based on the NPV?

I think if you do that the difference would be much higher.

Great comparison. Hua Gin is much cheaper the Beverly Hills too

My g/f bought a plot of land in the Chiang Rai area some 2 months ago she paid 1500 baht a wha. She put a deposit down and is now there to pay the balance. They subdivided an orange grove and all the plots were sold. They are now 2 months later reselling for 2000 bahts a wha.

»Why should I pay 15 times what he paid for it?«
That’s why land often is such a good investment…

Land prices at attractive Thai destinations are high, because there are buyers – and it’s not only foreigners buying, many Thais buy expensive land. In some areas have been seen prices rocking sky-high in short time, when they suddenly became attractive; like Koh Samui some years ago where one could buy a rai for 60,000 baht, 7-10 years later – when tourism suddenly were booming on the island – the going price in that area was 6 million bath a rai; some people bought it for 100 times more than the seller paid for it…blink.png
I wonder what the going price is today…? 

Even up rural Isaan you can find farmland going up 5 fold or more in 10 years or less.

It is often difficult to compare land prices between countries; even a neighbouring country can in comparison have very low, or very high land prices.

I understand your rant. I remember when I bought my land; I was thinking, “Way too high price, but what the heck, it is that plot of land I want and there is no alternative, so even if I pay too much I will be happy with it.” The locals were very kind – you know, Thais always asks »how much…?« – and said »Oh, you got that land very cheap…!« My impression was; they don’t want to make me sad, they wish to see me happy…!smile.png  However, 10 month later I was offered more than the double of what I paid for the land – of course I did not want to sell – and a similar plot came up for sale about a year later for 4 times “my price”…thumbsup.gif

When you wish to buy land, it is normally always “too expensive” and after a few years you often bought a good bargain…

The little weird thing is, that you sometimes can rent a house on long term for less than the interest of the money you should otherwise invest to buy a land plot; but of course, then you don’t get the possibility for gain from increased value – or risk a loss...whistling.gif

Just down the road from me in Borfai soi 6, tucked right out of the way and so far out of the town center that it is literally 200 yards from the Petchaburi border is one rai of land that I wanted to buy as I figured it cant be crazy money

In reality you wanted to buy that plot because it was in a perfect quiet location that suited you well, and thought that the owner was a dumber who had no idea about the value of his land.

You were mistaken as probably many have inquired for the price before you.

What?  I did not say it was perfect.  I was saying the land is so far from the center of Hua Hin that it is almost classed as Petchaburi.  The land furthest away from the center is usual they cheapest.  So why is this random plot far away from town commanding huge prices.

I did not for one second think the owner was a dumber (whatever that is, I guess you mean dumb, or dumb ass).  I just figured that I would call and ask for a price as I assumed it wouldnt be expensive, given that it is so far from town with nothing of interest in the area.

What if many have enquired before me?  What difference does it make... he hasnt bloody sold it yet so whats the point?  Value is based not on the amount of inquiries or even how much of a 'dumber' the owner is.  

Im not looking for an argument - and my original post was a bit of a rant so excuse me for that - but I genuinely dont understand why people are paying these prices.  Thats all I am saying, as simple as that.

People can afford to wait for that 1 dumber to come along,and they will,Thailand is littered with dumbers.

yes....we can all thank the exploitive foreigners who have come to thailand to exploit the poor thai land owners.  I recently chatted with a "real estate agent" who is proud of the fact that he has made billions acting as a middle-man and selling land owned by poor thai people.  He markets the land to foreigners only!  He is a pompous 'f' and represent exactly why land prices have gotten so out of control....G R E E D.  It seems that no matter what country I choose to live in....GREED is always there.

Its not greed if some fool you dont know pays above the odds.So you would sell your house under the going rate would you because you are not greedy.Then you would be complaining when house is onsold at the going rate because you missed out.The price is whatever the seller and buyer can agree to.

In the town 20km. from my home, Hat Yai, the price of land in the central city is asking for 200,000 THB/sqm. The price is higher than property in Silom and many central area in BKK.

Last year, a friend of my family, the local millionaire of Songkhla, has sold his land in Hat Yai to Central group company and they now turned the land to Central Festival Hat Yai. Our friend got 100 m.THB for that land. And if you visit the shopping mall, I think it's much smaller than other Central Festivals.

Just give you something to think about.

Uhh -- a broker sells land for as much as he can and that's bad? 

"GREED"?  "... so out of control..."? 

When you sell something what are you going to do?  Sell it for less than you could get?   

I think you're confusing "market price" with something bad.

All I will just say is this

It doesn't matter land, house ,car, shop for let business and I say this for Thai's and westerners well westerners that have been there too long lets say

They just pull prices out of their you know where!!!

I looked at trying to buy a business in Samui or Phuket on and off for years it was just too hard prices where crazy!

There is a formula you use to workout what a business is worth but try to apply it to any business there never works   

I have met other westerners that say the same thing there is no logic or method to price anything with them

Only thing you can do is just like always just go with the flow or like me give up!

Then by luck about 2 years ago I have now bought hotels in Phuket and Samui but I found an owner (Thai) who was reasonable I met him by accident at one of his hotels he was building

Taking a deep breath and seeing things from a distance sometimes helps.

We all went to school and what have we learned in economics?: " If 90 % of market- participants anticipate a continuation of a price trend, a reversal of this trend is not far off". 

Works for real-estate, gold, pork-bellies and string-beans in the same way. How often has this basic mechanism of market forces in combination with human behavior been observed in the last 200 years? Start counting.............

Quiz- Question: Where is a real-estate bubble in the making currently? Is it Miami/US or rather Hua-Hin/Thailand?

What do you think?

Cheers.

• Like 1

Can any of you real estate moguls tell me how I can buy the land you all talk about at any price? 

Unless you have some form of company set up or you qualify under the US/Thai treaty not one of you/us foreigners is buying or selling any land. Except for the obvious real estate agent trolls in the thread.

None of you - NONE of you foreigners are buying land in your name that is exclusively yours.

If you think you are then you are doing so illegally and it will come back and bite you sooner or later!

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 1

We bought our land about 3 years ago for 1.3mil a rai. We are 10 k's from Market village (by road) and that's fine with me. Since the Bangkok floods Hua Hin traffic has gone over the top and that is probably my biggest gripe as I need to get through it twice a day taking and picking up my daughter from school. Infrastructure is something Thailand is not too good at either. I live about 3k's from the ToT office and they won't provide me a land line for the internet. If they can sort that mess out I'll be happy but I don't see it happening any time soon. Mai Pen Rai :)

I was at first shocked by land prices in Thailand ... even in Issan ... when compared to the relatively much cheaper prices in USA. Then I realized ... the USA is a very large country with lots more land per person than Thailand. Yes, downtown areas of large cities like New York, etc. are extremely high, but farm land in Oregon ... may home state ... is much cheaper than farm land in Issan. 

Bottom line here is, land ... or anything else ... is worth what the buyer will pay. And, evidently, people are paying the price for land in Thailand. 

• Like 1

This can be said for much of Thailand with Isaan included.  Absolutely ridiculous prices atop a bubble that will soon burst.  Someone gets it in their head to ask a ridiculous amount then sit on it forever.

Bubble burst ? Land bubbles never burst. look at your own home country, wherever that may be, and look at the price of land 10 - 15 years ago and today.

I don't speak about real estate, however almost the same rules apply, but land never decrease in value because there is every day less available.

Not necessarily true. For example, in our area of coastal Florida, undeveloped quarter acre lots were selling for 30K in 2005. Nine years later, these same lots are now selling for 8K, mostly due to low demand and the overall economy.

I tend to agree with OP Thailand is a 3rd world country when the minimum wage is 6k which is a little over 100 gbp per month and the average wage in a government job around 10k which is around 200 gbp.
The prices are inflated around tourist areas because they try to con the westerner thinking they don't know any different.
  • Like 2

I gave up on this thread a while back.  Its typical Thai Visa.  Keyboard warriors who see themselves as 'living the Thai way" whilst chatting to Mr and Mrs Jones over the fence, in there nice moo baan full of westerners and telling any ferang who objects to anything in Thailand with the old chestnut of "go home".

I mean is your view of other ferangs so absolute that we must simply pack up and go home because we object to one or two things here?  To the arsehole who told me to grow up and go home..... Dont you think you should grow up a little, if the only contribution you have is "go home".

Also, I probably didnt explain myself very clearly before but when I say "why should I pay 15 times what they paid 10 years ago" if they were to actualy SELL the land I would applaud them.  But they are not.  Why cant they advertise more realistic prices.  The strategy is blinkered if you ask me: 'a wealthy Russian dude will come along and snapp it up for this price my love, you will see".

All i want to do is buy some land at a fair price in what I see as a very average town.  1.5 million per rai, even 2 million per rai.  Thats fair.  To that, Im going to get a reply off various people saying "fair does not come into it - its all about market price" well thats part of my point.... There does not seem to be a market price here!  You will see a plot of land for a couple million baht and then 200 yards down the road the same size plot of land for treble the price.  Its the same with real estate: two 3 bedroom 3 bath houses with pool, slightly different design but exactly the same size within 500 yards of each other.... One will be going at 6 million baht, the other one 16 million baht.

Im miffed at this place, is all im saying.  I dont get it.  I stand by my claim that it is a very average place with very high land prices and please dont reply back with the predictable "go home if you think its average" Mr Keyboard Warrior as although it is average, it suits me here.  Balls to all of you land and house people, Ill keep renting.  I am avoiding this bubble, lets see how easy it is for you guys to sell your place 15 years from now!

• Like 1