Any mexican food like burrios around?

expatsupreme

Everyone seems to have different tastes when it comes to Mexican food, but, to me, Miguel's is the best and most authentic. It is one of the best Mexican restaurants in Thailand, IMO.
Some of the others taste good, but don't pretend to be the real thing. They are more like something that your mother would try from a Redbook Magazine recipe. El Diablo's and Salsa Kitchen are probably my favorites of that type.

photo.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.

I don't know of any Mexican restos in CM, however there are a number of places offering Mex style food. To my knowlege, here are your options: !, Miguels, very bland gringo style old school Sonoran fare. .. 2, El Diablo, a bit spicier more modern gringo style, black beans also from same owner, 3 little pigs has some more traditional soft tacos and very good black bean tacos. 3. Loco Elvis pretty good big burritos and "nachos" as served in Norte Califas. 4. El Torro, MexIsaan food, some of their offerings are pretty good if you been drinkin'....

• Like 1

I can't disagree about Miguel's. I've had a few very good Mexican meals there. The Mexican Grille out by the canal is also very good and in regards to the Salsa Kitchen, I have a few favorites there. Finally, Dukes has some very good Mexican Specials on Tuesday night and their other regular Mexican dishes are also good.

The next big question.........WHO HAS THE BEST MARGARITAS???

So I guess you could interpret those posts as a big NO. That's my personal opinion as well. I've tried them all and seems all are missing something essential that doesn't have to be taking into consideration availability, cost and reasonable effort (trying Google for instance) amoung other things. That being said El Diablos my fav around and always have got a good feed on there.

I've found when cooking black beans procured locally that they don't really cook the same as in the Americas, taking much longer to cook and then losing thier consistency (even with a slow simmer and w/o salt) by falling apart. Not a big problem for refried beans but for the healthier versions (Cal-Mex??) of say a Black Bean and Grilled Corn Salad it doesn't work as well. Always wondered if it's due to a lower quality of bean or improper storage but most ingredients necessary to make Mexican cuisine is available here.

Edited by junglechef
  • Like 1

Junglechef, My black bean observations are opposite to yours, I find the local BBs to cook faster yet not break down to creamy as quickly. I buy mine at Kad Luang from the bulk bins (check for rocks before cooking). The local blue corn on the cob, black beans and red rice, salsa fresca, any kind of cheese and avocado on top.... comfort food in CM.

• Like 2

So I guess you could interpret those posts as a big NO.

Maybe that is how you interpret them. I see three recommendations for Miguel's and two more for two other places. As I've said many times, Miguel's would be merely acceptable in San Francisco. If I had the same food there, I would not be impressed, but I would not complain about it afterwards. For Mexican food in Thailand, that is high praise indeed.

• Like 1

Indulge me if you don't mind.

The last post before mine was up 2 min earlier while I was typing so I didn't see it but usually anybody who likes everywhere and says he's had many very good meals of a cuisine that's notoriously awful here (never the less the seemingly more interest in the drink) is not a recommendation I would give any heed to.

Others say "best option", "don't know of any" and other stuff except you who only recommends a place that puts lettuce in a burrito and then finishes it like a panini (wilted lettuce is very Mexican - again NO!).

I don't know how you interpret "Best Option" as "No" or my thumbs up or the one that you missed, but lettuce in burritos is common on Mission Street in San Francisco which is one of the most famous places for burritos in the world.

A Mission burrito (also known as a San Francisco burrito or a Mission-style burrito) is a type of burrito that first became popular during the 1960s in the Mission District of San Francisco, California. It is distinguished from other burritos by its large size and inclusion of extra rice and other ingredients. It has been referred to as one of two major styles of burritos in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_burrito

150px-Burrito_de_asada.jpg

Edited by Ulysses G.

I don't know how you interpret "Best Option" as "No" or my thumbs up or the one that you missed, but lettuce in burritos is common on Mission Street in San Francisco which is one of the most famous places for burritos in the world.

A Mission burrito (also known as a San Francisco burrito or a Mission-style burrito) is a type of burrito that first became popular during the 1960s in the Mission District of San Francisco, California. It is distinguished from other burritos by its large size and inclusion of extra rice and other ingredients. It has been referred to as one of two major styles of burritos in the United States.

i grew up in the bay area and before i retired to thailand had lived in SFO for 17 yrs (my longest continuous stay in USA to date)... anyways, as a first gen mexican who grew up in mexican restaurants (we had 3) and who favors Northern mexican food, i can say that i have never liked and don't eat those Mission street style burritos... burritos when i grew up never had avocado, sour cream, or even rice and beans IN them... maybe on the side, but never all wrapped up in one ginormous tortilla... which is to say, that food preferences are very individual.. one man's ceiling is another man's floor, one man's mother is another man's....

well, lets not get crude over it, but food is many things to many people...

• Like 2

I like the kind of Mexican food that you are talking about a lot, but I LOVE the stuff with avocado and sour cream. wub.png My first job in SF was working at a deli with burritos near the Embaradero, run by a Mexican guy. I had never had good Mexican food on the East coast and had never tried avocado or guacamole before. I got hooked on all of them right away. If I could have any one food from America - just like it is there - it would be a Mission Street super-burrito. Number two would be a New York style pizza.

Edited by Ulysses G.

El Diablos' Californian burruito, works for me...I lived in SF (and got burritos in the mission often) and San Diego where burritos were as common as noodles here, but that just means I've eaten beyond my share of burritos..... I also think thier chips, salsa and quac ...is also pretty authentic ...IMHO..

I was addicted to Taco Bell when I stayed in LA, they must put in some <deleted> aditives to get you aditcted. But the food was really great, who knows how many MSG and other crap they drop in. Who knows.

But yes I would like to see Taco bell in CM, only one, we dont want too much Amaricanism in Thailand.

Also in Los Angeles there are many small burrito shops, run by Mexicans, and I could see like 100 people in a row waiting only for simple bean burrito...and yes that was tasty

And then you can see like a utter crap idiot opening Sunrise taco in BKK, where that memory of a burrito does not want to wanish. I almost broke my teeth on uncooked black beans, they were hard! TWICE!!!!

Never going there again. I hope this kind of unprofessionalism is not happening in CM, it is not that hard to put together a good veggie burrito

I like the kind of Mexican food that you are talking about a lot, but I LOVE the stuff with avocado and sour cream. wub.png My first job in SF was working at a deli with burritos near the Embaradero, run by a Mexican guy. I had never had good Mexican food on the East coast and had never tried avocado or guacamole before. I got hooked on all of them right away. If I could have any one food from America - just like it is there - it would be a Mission Street super-burrito. Number two would be a New York style pizza.

i hear ya, Ulysses... but man, might as well just take one of the huge burritos and stuff it right into your aorta... especially if you have the whole load of refried beans, avos, sour cream...

we are fortunate to have a rather steady supply of dried mexican chilies in our home and we make our fair share of mexican food, but burritos is at the bottom of my list... in fact, cannot remember making one for over 10 yrs... tamales, enchiladas, tacos, guac, chilaquiles, nachos, chile verde and roja... now that is mexican food in my book... the wife (thai) is begging my mom for some real Oaxacan mole recipes... let's see if they materialize...

i hear ya, Ulysses... but man, might as well just take one of the huge burritos and stuff it right into your aorta... especially if you have the whole load of refried beans, avos, sour cream...

we are fortunate to have a rather steady supply of dried mexican chilies in our home and we make our fair share of mexican food, but burritos is at the bottom of my list... in fact, cannot remember making one for over 10 yrs... tamales, enchiladas, tacos, guac, chilaquiles, nachos, chile verde and roja... now that is mexican food in my book... the wife (thai) is begging my mom for some real Oaxacan mole recipes... let's see if they materialize...

so you are saying that in refreid beans there is a lot of oil?

I like veggie supreme in taco bell, but I could do without sour cream and chease, put some tofu inside instead.......

you must be mexican so good for you, why there are no mexicans in Thaialdn, they know how to cook, not some idiot falang, who cant cook black beans and basically murders taste buds of anybody coming to his place,I am still angry at that guy in Sunrise tacos in BKK, that is the only thing I was dissapointed in my life eating out basically, what a douche

Maybe that is how you interpret them. I see three recommendations for Miguel's and two more for two other places. As I've said many times, Miguel's would be merely acceptable in San Francisco. If I had the same food there, I would not be impressed, but I would not complain about it afterwards. For Mexican food in Thailand, that is high praise indeed.

Well having spent some time in Mexico in a town of about 20,000 people a little bit out side of Ixtapa and traveled around a bit as far South as Porto Escondido I can honestly say what is Mexican food?

Seems like you order some thing in a restaurant and the next day order it in the one next to it you get two different versions. Have even had it happen in the same restaurant.

Edited by northernjohn

I believe the OP was looking for Mexican food. Not an idea dreamed up in some American city as to what Mexican food is.

Oaxacan recipe did she get them there or out of a book or as seems to be the way this thread is going out of a restaurant in America? Been years since I was there but found the food very good.

I believe the OP was looking for Mexican food. Not an idea dreamed up in some American city as to what Mexican food is.

My guess is that you are wrong and the food was "dreamed up" by Mexican immigrants to suit their own tastes. White people cottoned on to it, but it was by Mexicans for Mexicans in the beginning. That is why it started in the Mexican part of town and then spread all over the place.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Oaxacan recipe did she get them there or out of a book or as seems to be the way this thread is going out of a restaurant in America? Been years since I was there but found the food very good.

my mom has acquired all her recipes over a long life of cooking and traveling to mexico... so yes, she got the recipes down in Oaxaca

• Like 1

so you are saying that in refreid beans there is a lot of oil?

I like veggie supreme in taco bell, but I could do without sour cream and chease, put some tofu inside instead.......

you must be mexican so good for you, why there are no mexicans in Thaialdn, they know how to cook, not some idiot falang, who cant cook black beans and basically murders taste buds of anybody coming to his place,I am still angry at that guy in Sunrise tacos in BKK, that is the only thing I was dissapointed in my life eating out basically, what a douche

well, old school refried beans are first cooked (overnight) in water, then drained, then a big pot of (almost) boiling LARD is poured over them (talking about restaurant sized cooking)... then, left to sit...then before being served, they are quickly reheated (re-fried) in lard, again..and that is the tastiest (though not the healthiest) way i have ever had beans

• Like 1

Indulge me if you don't mind.

The last post before mine was up 2 min earlier while I was typing so I didn't see it but usually anybody who likes everywhere and says he's had many very good meals of a cuisine that's notoriously awful here (never the less the seemingly more interest in the drink) is not a recommendation I would give any heed to.

Others say "best option", "don't know of any" and other stuff except you who only recommends a place that puts lettuce in a burrito and then finishes it like a panini (wilted lettuce is very Mexican - again NO!).

Sorry my response didn't fit YOUR criteria but I was actually responding to the original post...."I wonder if there are any Mexican restaurants in CM?" I don't think he asked for a critique of the best??? I pointed out a few and I enjoy some different dishes in each one. He's right about Sunrise in Bangkok....it sucks! I think Charlie Browns is the best I've experienced there but I haven't been to all. Hey, sometimes I enjoy a margarita with my Mexican dinner. It can be part of the overall enjoyment of the dinner....CALL ME CRAZY! If the original poster is asking for a critique, which is what it appears you're looking for....go to Trip Advisor! Opinions are like.....well you know....everyone has one.

Having also lived in California for many years I would take most restaurants....even the El Torito chain....over most Mexican joints in Chiang Mai.

And thank you for your information on beans......VERY INTERESTING AND SO ON TOPIC PER THE ORIGINAL POST!

Sorry, couldn't resist chiming in. There is no "real" Mexican food in Chiang Mai, or in Mexico for that matter if one wanted to wax pedantic. As well ask about "real" French food, or Italian food, or... Mexico is a large, geographically- and climate-diverse country with 100 million people having suffered numerous cultural influences on its cuisine over many centuries. Historically the backbone of Mexican food was corn meal tortillas, beans, chiles and squash with bits of various meats. The poor and indigenous peoples still eat this way. It is surprisingly nutritious .

Today Mexican food ranges from great and simple seafood on the coast to 5-star establishments in Mexico City serving creative fusion dishes, some of which are variations on tradition. Mole, mentioned above, is a wonderfully complex sauce that comes in many varieties and is famous for including chocolate - another food originating in the "old world." What passes for "Mexican" food in most of the US and other countries including Thailand is usually a version of what I would call border Mex or Tex Mex: large helpings of cheap ingredients with a hint of Mexican origins.

Back on topic, maybe. "Best available" is obviously relative and has been answered. If Taco Bell is your standard, then "Mexican" food here is pretty good. Otherwise it can probably be more accurately characterized as "typical" for the genre outside of Mexico, and expecting anything else is unrealistic (and overly critical of local eateries). I am a self-confessed foodie and traveler, trained at the French Culinary Institute in NYC, who recently lived in several different cities in Mexico over several years. I greatly enjoyed the food there, and recommend an extended "food visit" if you have the means and interest.

Sorry, couldn't resist chiming in. There is no "real" Mexican food in Chiang Mai, or in Mexico for that matter

"It depends on what the meaning of the words 'is' is."

-Bill Clinton

Edited by Ulysses G.

I made beef and bean burritos last night. I bought the large flour to tortillas at Makro. I make my own refried pinto beans about once every 2 months then freeze them. I fry ground beef and add all the needed spices and then dice onions and then grade some colby cheese. I wrap each completed burrito into a freezer bag and save for later. YUM