Thai Bank Card in Europe

Hi all,

Does anybody know if a Thai bank/ATM debit card,

Bangkok Bank Be1st card,

will work in Europe, The Netherlands?

I might need to go back home for a bit, but my money is always on the Thai Bank.

I know I could ask the bank and such, but well they do not always know everything, so anybody who has used his/hers Thai card in Europe, could say it for a fact.

I've checked my cards many times : There are working in ATN in France... but I don't know how much you can get per day... In Thailand, I can get 250,000 THB per day... When I've tested the card in France, I just asked for 20 euros...

Sent from my A700 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Thai bank/debit cards still mostly have no chips on them. (Not sure why this is)

In many developed countries, e.g. in North Europe, there are hardly any readers for cards without chips anymore, both at POS and ATM.

However, they may work in some places. I've noticed that ATMs and POS in the UK still accept chip-less cards.

Bangkok Bank's Be1st card is a chip card, a Visa Electron to be more precise. By definition it will work at ATMs and POS terminals that have the Visa logo. However, Bangkok Bank does not activate these cards for use outside Thailand unless expressly requested. Please visit you local branch to request card activation outside Thailand.

• Like 2

I travel all over the World with my consulting business and my Bangkok Bank Debit card has been accepted almost every where. The only trouble was in Morocco, some ATM's would not accept and in Russia a few would not accept. I did however find that wwhere I have a problem the Airport ATM's will work if not the downtown ATM's. Me I card four different Banks ATM/Debit Cards, just in case. One from Thailand the other three from USA.

Good Luck, the other thig I do is carry USA $100.00 bills, a few, they are accepted World Wide if I need to exchange.

Jeery

Why easy aswer , because to expensive to change the payment terminals and ATM of many millions

Also latest security cards from Europe our standart is even higher then in the us where many magnetic straps has been copied must be down compatible!

In other words , also cards with latest security chips , must be worked on old ATMs and supermarket cash payment machines!

Edited by Sandman77

I have the same card and just checked about using in Malaysia and no problem. Find main branch that has a foreign exchange desk. They can tell you and give you the posted limits.

I've checked my cards many times : There are working in ATN in France... but I don't know how much you can get per day... In Thailand, I can get 250,000 THB per day... When I've tested the card in France, I just asked for 20 euros...

Best check with your Thai bank here before chancing it not working abroad. If my experience with a US Bank card is any indication of a pending nightmare, beware. Everytime I uwse my debit card where I live, no problem, but go 100km away and try to use an ATM machine and the transaction is usually declined. Bank in america reason says computer thinks card has been stolen. I have been dealing this problem for 7 years and the banks in American still cannor or will not fix their computer, just get the facts from your bank first and save a headache

Best check with your Thai bank here before chancing it not working abroad. If my experience with a US Bank card is any indication of a pending nightmare, beware. Everytime I uwse my debit card where I live, no problem, but go 100km away and try to use an ATM machine and the transaction is usually declined. Bank in america reason says computer thinks card has been stolen. I have been dealing this problem for 7 years and the banks in American still cannor or will not fix their computer, just get the facts from your bank first and save a headache

Maybe you are just a little dim big falang,if your previous posts are to go by.

Like many others in this topic I have travelled extensively. Never had a problem. The only time I have had an issue with a Thai Visa Electron was one time in Sweden (Gothenborg?) where a waitress requested that I show an ID proving that my name was "Privileged Member" as printed on the Visa card. She refused to accept the card unless I could present the ID, so I tried to pay with my Amex which had my name on it. She refused the Amex as well and looked at me as if I was an international gangster committing credit card fraud for a living. When I offered cash she called her manager and they began investigating the cash to make it wasn't counterfeit.

I didn't return.

Edited by Forethat

Can the card only be used to withdraw money? Can you see the balance or do any other functions on the ATM machine?

you cant even check your balance in some other banks machines around bkk

the only function seems to be cash withdrawl and normally 10thb fee even beside your local branch

I just got this reply bank from Bangkok Bank, which matches what most people here say.

Regarding for your inquiry, please be informed that if you are in the overseas. You can use our ATM Card (Be 1st) to withdraw fund from the bank by the ATM machine that has the PLUS symbol. The maximum amount withdraw per transaction depends on the limit of the ATM machine of that country and you will be charge 100 Baht/transaction.

The Be 1 st card can be used to purchase any goods at the shop that have the VISA sign without any fees.

However, there will be an exchange rate for goods and services purchased by card oversea and that the exchange rate Bangkok Bank uses is the card association rate(VISA)plus an exchange fee of not more than 2.5 percent.