Former Thai FM Surapong voices support for martial law declaration

webfact

This statement is rather confusing:

"He said he would like to thank the Army chief for issuing a statement Thursday to warn political opponents to behave or the Army might have to deploy a full force of troops to keep security."

This statement issued by a man who was removed from his appointed position for abuse of position, stating that he is happy that the army will act against (unspecified) political opponents to maintain security. Yet daily I read about violence against one of the main opposition movements (which is not a political party but tied to several).

Why is it that this persona non-grata feels that the army should only act against political opponents in order to maintain security? Is he denying that supporters of the current party are partially (if not totally) to blame for nearly every act of violence involving shootings, bombings, grenade attacks etc for months now?

I find it hard to imagine that anyone within the present movement is so actively attacking their own people that they would willingly cause this much hurt and pain with no clear goal or motivation in doing so. The words spoken by Surapong are words of a totalitarian government with little understanding of the true concept of a free and fair democratic system.

• Like 1

I'm waiting for Fabby, Codger, Bruce and Prbkk or whoever to chime in...

Only because you have nothing intelligent to say on the matter smile.png

Goaded the Army well with that one. In case you can't read between lines it says.

Go on then, take over the security from us. Then let the blame for the ongoing anarchy from the PDRC fall squarely (and EVEN more publically) where it belongs. IE the army and the Elites.

Suthep needs to know, that its one thing for the Ball (power) to be given to him by the Courts, it's quite another thing for him to run with it, score with it or hang onto it for very long without a lot of men with guns.

It is well past time that the Army should be called out for encouraging and keeping Sutheps mob going well past the time they should have been rounded up and jailed for life.

Much as they say they are not couping, they were quick to get involved when they thought the violence of Sutheps mob might be matched by violence from the other party.... the party with the real grievences I might add

'ridiculous post of the day' for me!!!

What a bizarre situation : the massive corruption in the Army means the leaders have no need to let themselves be bought by a wannabe dictator like the politicians - and end up being the good guys because of it !.

Thailand really is an amazing place.

These attacks by the UDD should be the absolute top priority because they undermine the whole concept of freedom - yet the government actively condone it by refusing even to condemn it. I am personally convinced they are ordered by Chalerm acting under orders from afar.

• Like 1

Surapongs opinion should have less importance than Somchai the taxi drivers opinion, since he was ousted for abuse of power.

Declaring martial law wouldn't fix anything. Only the violent enforcement of it would fix something and I don't believe that soldiers will violently remove elderly women from the polling stations in the south so some PTP can get MP with 18 votes (like in NST) as everyone else just don't go to the polling stations.

I don't think Thaksin can pay Prayuth and the top brass enough money that this can happen.

No, he can't pay more than the elite. The elite of 22 families running Thailand for almost a century has about 100 billion USD altogether compared to the mere 2 billion of the "poor" Shinawatra family.

Well, if they are that financially savvy perhaps they should be running the country. I mean they obviously have more nous then the entire PTP and Shin regime combined. clap2.gif

And regardless how nasty these big, bad, scary elitists are, they can be no worse than the trash that has been raping the country for the past 3 years.

• Like 1

Only because you have nothing intelligent to say on the matter smile.png

Goaded the Army well with that one. In case you can't read between lines it says.

Go on then, take over the security from us. Then let the blame for the ongoing anarchy from the PDRC fall squarely (and EVEN more publically) where it belongs. IE the army and the Elites.

Suthep needs to know, that its one thing for the Ball (power) to be given to him by the Courts, it's quite another thing for him to run with it, score with it or hang onto it for very long without a lot of men with guns.

It is well past time that the Army should be called out for encouraging and keeping Sutheps mob going well past the time they should have been rounded up and jailed for life.

Much as they say they are not couping, they were quick to get involved when they thought the violence of Sutheps mob might be matched by violence from the other party.... the party with the real grievences I might add

'ridiculous post of the day' for me!!!

Yep, it is ridiculous, but I am not going to vote until fabio has put his two bobs worth in. cheesy.gif

There are so many contradictory messages coming from PTP / UDD leaders that it raises the question as to what is happening. Is it confusion on their part, an attempt to keep every one else confused and off balance while they try and bring some plans to conclusion.

OR as has been suggested to me it there a power struggle to become the next leader of the PTP and PM. The question was raised why should the next PN be decided by the Shins when it is the "redshirts" who deliver the votes.

Edited by issanaus
  • Like 1

Why not make an intelligent contrubution of your own instead of waiting for others?

• Like 1

Why not make an intelligent contrubution of your own instead of waiting for others?

I don't think he was waiting for an "intelligent contribution", judging by the names he mentioned. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The Army needs to flush the Thailand Political Toilet again, several big pieces did not go down the last time !!

As for what the rest of the world thinks, If they had all their stuff in one sock it might be good to listen, I think not !!

Like I tell my beloved Wife when she worries about what other people think, I ask "Do they feed you, pay your bills and care for you when you are down", if not to heck with them !!

Jerry, The Ole Grouch

Hahahahaha

Prayuth will probably issue another statement just to point out to Surapong that he isn't talking about a state of martial law to help guide the PTP back into power so they can continue to screw the country over. Or to be used as a military tool to be used and abused by CAPO at their leisure.... He was saying that if you don't do your job, they will do it for you, ad I don't think it will be what CAPO has in mind.

Nice bit of spin, totally transparent and a good laugh to read. But that's about it.

Maybe it would be a good thing if the army came in and ordered the EC to hold an election. Vowing that they would support whichever party won, to the letter of the law. I really cannot see any resolution as long as we have 'mad men' like Suthep running around demanding this and that and the lap dog Abhisit saying yessir Suthep, we will do whatever you say.

Until something like this happens, Thailand will keep sinking.

• Like 1

Surapongs opinion should have less importance than Somchai the taxi drivers opinion, since he was ousted for abuse of power.

Declaring martial law wouldn't fix anything. Only the violent enforcement of it would fix something and I don't believe that soldiers will violently remove elderly women from the polling stations in the south so some PTP can get MP with 18 votes (like in NST) as everyone else just don't go to the polling stations.

I don't think Thaksin can pay Prayuth and the top brass enough money that this can happen.

"Surapong said if the Army were to declare martial law nationwide, the new election could be held smoothly."

Even if it was held smoothly we would still be left with a government wide open to corruption.

Reform is needed. Then an election.

Maybe it would be a good thing if the army came in and ordered the EC to hold an election. Vowing that they would support whichever party won, to the letter of the law. I really cannot see any resolution as long as we have 'mad men' like Suthep running around demanding this and that and the lap dog Abhisit saying yessir Suthep, we will do whatever you say.

Take care of your self. If you get much closer to your master you may catch rabies from him.

• Like 1

Surapong - back again, irrepressibly speaking from the hip - without talking to anyone - the military included. He has taken a statement of Prayuth where he said that the army could intervene if violence erupts - and twisted it to say that an election could be held under martial law. So - to put this in historical perspective - the February 2 election was the first time an election has ever been conducted with an Emergency Decree in place. But Surapong wants to take it one step further - he wants an election that takes place during martial law - something that perhaps Robert Mugabe would consider - but scarce anyone else. Again, Surapong completely speaking out of his own bat ( in far more ways than one ). Prayuth must be furious.

i doubt prayuth would take any notice of this tw-t...does anyone..seriously

Is that a question.........?

What a bizarre situation : the massive corruption in the Army means the leaders have no need to let themselves be bought by a wannabe dictator like the politicians - and end up being the good guys because of it !.

Thailand really is an amazing place.

These attacks by the UDD should be the absolute top priority because they undermine the whole concept of freedom - yet the government actively condone it by refusing even to condemn it. I am personally convinced they are ordered by Chalerm acting under orders from afar.

Been at the popcorn again I see.

Suthep was quite vocal in his approval and admiration of his popcorn men.

I'd be pretty sure Surapong knows the Army isn't fond of popcorn either.

No, he can't pay more than the elite. The elite of 22 families running Thailand for almost a century has about 100 billion USD altogether compared to the mere 2 billion of the "poor" Shinawatra family.

Care to name the 22 families of the elite?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Or until Thaksin and his family pull out of politics .. Thaksin has stated many times that he doesn't want to be involved in politics anymore ... yet here we are...through various puppets. Clones and yes men ...he's involved ......still!

I kinda agree about Suthep .. he should be put out to pasture!

The irrepressible rantings of an absolute madman. Mussolini II. What a fool. What a goombah. And to think this guy held the position of foreign minister. It proves my point about the political system in Thailand being the absence of a meritocracy. A shame they cannot find any real talent, nor any brilliant minds to lead the way. When you have people like Suthep, Chalerm, Abhisit, and Yingluck leading the way, the only direction the country can go is down. The absence of political talent is second only to the US.

He will name them I am sure, just as soon as he finds the list. The one in his head. clap2.gif

................now where did I put that list?..................the list of the 22 families running the country......................I know it is here somewhere.....................cheesy.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

People are always talking about the elite. Ask them for the names and it is like asking them if they would jump off a 20 story building to amuse you. Most of them are lucky to know their own last name. It is just a word that they hear others who don't know any more than they do using.

Or until Thaksin and his family pull out of politics .. Thaksin has stated many times that he doesn't want to be involved in politics anymore ... yet here we are...through various puppets. Clones and yes men ...he's involved ......still!

I kinda agree about Suthep .. he should be put out to pasture!

I think he has done a masterful job in keeping the movement alive for the betterment of Thailand. As for pasture yes if the movement has progressed far enough to sustain it's self.