Ipstar Download Speeds

bartender100

I have ipstar package 512/125 1.5 GB,I was wondering if anyone else is using this,and what speed is being had.

Using the Mcafee test i am only hitting 150 kbp/s

http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer.asp?cid=9438

I think it should be up nearer 400 kbp/s

Trying to contact CS is a joke,and all Wattana tell me is its ok. Thanks for any feedback.

I have ipstar package 512/125 1.5 GB,I was wondering if anyone else is using this,and what speed is being had.

Using the Mcafee test i am only hitting 150 kbp/s

http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer.asp?cid=9438

I think it should be up nearer 400 kbp/s

Trying to contact CS is a joke,and all Wattana tell me is its ok. Thanks for any feedback.

i just tried the mcafee test with my pathetic 56k modem analog dialup connection . thanks for reminding me that i have to call for DSL tomorrow.

speed_112x23.gif 27.2 Kbps

(3.4 KBps)

most of the time it's almost impossible to get your pipe to hit full throttle. you have to get some other users on this forum to try the same mcafee test to compare, that have the same 512 package.

######, aren't you using ipstar? which package are you using, maybe you could unplug the users from your router for a second and do a mcafee test to see what you come up with.

Hi Huski,

In most cases these broadband connections should get pretty close to their advertised speeds! Basically because they don't have to contend with bad connected wires etc. such as your regular phoneline...

header_calculation_78x20.gifFile Size: 150.005 KB

Time Elapsed: 4.957 seconds

speed_112x23.gif242.08 Kbps

(30.26 KBps)

This is what i just got using IPTV (256/56) at 19:06, 08 March 2004

As you see it gets pretty close to the advertised 256 Kbps...

Hi Bartender,

I just called a friend who is on the 256/128 IPSTAR package (in Pattaya) and asked him to do the speedtest, he'll post the results when he get's back home... He told me though that today the system did seem way slower then usual... When I was at his home a couple of days ago we did the mcafee test and got 331 kbps!!! Which is obviously faster then what he pays for :o

As ###### told several times over, the system should be able to live up to it's promises, if only the technicians know their job...

This said, I've heard from several sources that it seems they're slowly getting their

act together...Let's hope all together...

Guys!! I have been complaining about the ipStar speed for about a week now and today they seemed to "PUMP UP THE VOLUME" I used you test (barman) and got a miserly 256 kbps, however when I use the test located at

http://dfw.speakeasy.net/

things get better and I am running at 482 kbps/down and about 97 kbps/up now, which I must admit took my breath away :o . I do this speed test often after having tried many others and saw that it doubled today. Check your system again and try with speakeasy. They have been having some problems!

Thanks mouse.Tried the test and here is the result,although it looks fast,its say it is not a good speed.

2004-03-08 07:45:45 EST: 360 / 14

Your download speed : 360397 bps, or 360 kbps.

A 43.9 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed : 14081 bps, or 14 kbps.

Your upstream result was very slow! .. not good

Your connection hardly qualified as broadband, at least in that test

What do you think

Mouse is very correct in saying that you should do a speedtest from several servers!

Never forget that internet is only as fast as the slowest link, so at certain days, certain areas in world might be bogged down...

Following are a couple of the bigger test sites:

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~leslie/testpage.htm

http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/Bandwidth.asp

http://www.toast.net/performance/

Bartender,

when they say that you're connection is slow, it's because they compare your speed with what is available over there!!!

In my home country, you get something like 800-900Kbps through cable or adsl, so for them 300 something is slow... In Thailand it's screaming fast :o:D

There does seems to be something wrong with your upload though???

Dear Bartender 100

Your download speed : 360397 bps, or 360 kbps.

A 43.9 KB/sec transfer rate.

Your upload speed : 14081 bps, or 14 kbps

Sounds right for that time of the day. Remember that is when every little skirt in Thailand is chatting with someone else in Thailand and all their boyfriends are playing on-line games that eat massive amounts of bandwidth.

Try the test when all the little kiddies are out of the Cafés and off the net. Tonight at 23:00 and before the people in the states get busy on the net. I think that your results will differ.

Keep those message to the ipStar going.

Remember that if you had a restaurant and no one told you that the food was bad, you probably would change little. :o

Thanks monty and mouse.

I will wait and see how things work out later in the week,off to bangkok tomorrow for 2 days,the girl in wattana said she may get the engineer to come out friday if i am still having problems.

Monty this was the test I just did with pitstop.

Download Size 1000 KB

Download Time 31093 ms

Receive Buffer default size

Transmission Speed 257 Kb/s

Getting better

Hi,

I have a 512/128 kbit at home and a 256/128 kbit at work.

At work I'm getting download speeds of around 31 KBps which is just slightly below what it should be. At home i'm getting around 66 KBps - which is slightly higher than it should be. Those iPSTAR users on the 512/128 kbps plan are actually on the iPSTAR-1 satellite where as those users on the 256/128 kbps plan are still on Thaicom-3.

I suspect that TC3's iPSTAR backhaul is far more saturated than the new iPSTAR-1 backhaul. As a corporate customer - I constantly stay on the 'backs' of iPSTAR via phone, email and messenger. When un-explained outages occur or speed/wire performance is lower than it should be I recommend you 'make some noise' about it!

m.

Note: KBps = Kilo Bytes per second, kbps = kilo bits per second, there are 8 bits in a byte, 256 kbits = 32 kilobytes, 512 kbits = 64 kilobytes.

I've heard rumor that those of us here in the north (e.g. Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai) get better quality of service than those in the south.

I'm downloading a FreeBSD ISO at the moment at 63 KB/s :-)

Hi md3v,

what you're saying about the saturated backhaul might make sense...

The IPTV customers are on the Thaicom 1 sattelite as well, and speeds very seldom drops below the advertised 256 kbps, and this most probably is because of a bottleneck somewhere else!. My download speeds are around 35 to 37 kBps which would be slightly higher then expected but explainable since the sat connection uses compression if possible just like a modem!

Monty,

IPTV customers are functioning half-duplex (e.g. downlink is satellite, uplink is modem).

We've had a few instances where iPSTAR has done late night maintenance and the connection became 'uncapped' for a period of time - meaning we were getting download speeds of 80 KBps+

Anyway, the iPSTAR system is still in its infancy and has a long way to go before being a true 'last mile' solution.

Additionally, the security of the iPSTAR system leaves much to be desired. For example, the network boxes (EBxxx) all use a common administrative passwork allowing users to hack, disable or modify the configuration of other users iPSTAR boxes. It is also possible to move your box between subnets and expand you IP address space e.g. move from having 4 assigned addresses to 6 (or more).

Example:

203.170.219.0 = Network Address

203.170.219.1 = Network Box

203.170.219.2 = Your Machine/Server/Firewall

203.170.219.3 = Broadcast Address

^ the above is a /30 subnet (255.255.255.252) with 64 subnets per class c space.

Its possible to do this:

203.170.1.0 = Network Address

203.170.1.1 = Network Box

203.170.1.2 = Your Machine

203.170.1.3 = Your Machine

203.170.1.4 = Your Machine

203.170.1.5 = Your Machine

203.170.1.6 = Your Machine

203.170.1.7 = Broadcast Address

^ Gives you an additional 5 'public' IP addresses to user. The above is a /29 subnet (255.255.255.248) with 32 subnets per class c space.

Pleae do not try the above. If you cross into someone elses address space it would not be 'pretty'.

NOTE: I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE MAKE THE ABOVE MODIFICATIONS. I AM SIMPLY SHARING THEM TO POINT OUT SOME OF THE MAJOR ISSUES WITH iPSTAR. THE IP ADDRESSES USED ABOVE ARE FICTIONAL.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I also have iPSTAR Megabit Service running (the 512 Kbps down) over here in Pattaya. I upgraded from the 256 Kbps down we've had before.

HOWEVER, I have never managed to actually receive more then 256 Kbps even since the upgrade. I am using DUmeter (www.dumeter.com) and set it to display average results. Then I started downloading multiple videostreams simultaneously as well as ftp'ing to some servers and it never went above 256 Kbps.

Furthermore, a couple of days ago I tried the same on a friend's iPTV installation, dumeter installed and downloading the same kind of data and on iPTV the downloadspeed was actually FASTER then 256 Kbps, sometimes up to 320 Kbps. It seems to be that iPTV is able to use compression and iPSTAR is not.

So a couple of questions about this:

1) Does anybody have iPSTAR up and running at effective speeds higher than 256 Kbps (set average speed results on dumeter to check)?

2) Is there a way to use compression on iPSTAR like you can do ons iPTV and some Lox phonelines?

Another worrysome thing that has gotten my attention is the following:

I remember our main reason to upgrade is the download limitation being jumped up to 4000 Mb instead of the 3000 Mbs we had before.

1) BUT today I checked the CSLOX site and it seems that we have all been 'had' since now they list their same package (Megabit 2) as having a download limit of only 3000 Mb! No notification, no warning, nothing. So if this is the case a lot of users have been lured into upgrading our buying the system then to take back what was promised.

2) Is it my imagination, or did I actually see a flyer that convinced us to upgrade to the Megabit service that stated that the speed would be 512/256 Kbps? I think it was. No everywhere I look I see that the speed for the same package is listed at 512/128 Kbps.

I would say time to hit the phones..... If this is true then this month I will be paying 10.500 baht (8000+2500 for extra gig that now all of a sudden is removed from bandwidth allowance again) for the same speed I had before when I paid 7.000 baht.

Any help greatly appreciated. And please tell those cslox webmasters also to finally fix the button so that users can read the english version (or actually put the english version of their pages up). I think CSLoxinfo should drop CS from their name again as Customer Support there is NOT.

I had the engineer back in to test my speed,as I thought I was not getting 512/128,I used many different meters.It was only when downloading a file the avarage speed was 68kbps,which he equated as about 500/128.I'm still not sure as some pages load slowly.

Any help greatly appreciated. And please tell those cslox webmasters also to finally fix the button so that users can read the english version (or actually put the english version of their pages up).

try this page for the english version

:: CS INTERNET ::

I think CSLoxinfo should drop CS from their name again as Customer Support there is NOT.

i think CS stands for something else besides customer service, but i probably shouldn't type it on the forum.

It looks like slow loading because of the satellite lag bartender...

The distance up and down to Thaicom sat (or any geostationary satellite) is 71600 Km!! Even radiowaves take 0.6 seconds to travel that distance...

Compare this with a phoneline to Bangkok, at 300 Km roundtrip this takes 200 times less to go roundtrip.

Downloading webpages is partly a two way afair, with requests being sent, and data received. During the loading of a page this might happen several times, up to 20 or 30 times on some pages...

20 or 30 times 0.6 seconds delay are a lot of seconds...

20 or 30 times 0.003 seconds on a phonemodem is hardly noticable ! (based on a webpage hosted on a server in BKK)

When you download a large file, only one request is sent off, hence the high speed (one time 0.6sec delay)

Haha Huski,

Indeed. that is what CS means :-).

Don't be fooled by the CS staff that will point you to their demosite where you can download a file of several sizes at blazing speed. Of course that comes in smoothly. It even almost crashed the sound barrier.

Only thing they forget to mention is that it is a server sitting just next to the uplink center or on an unmetered part of thier demo network. They tried to fool me on our previous subscription by saying. Look you have a full 256 Kbps from our demosite while any place else, even their own site got me sometimes a 40Kbps. After I told them I'm smarter then to believe their crap about their demoserver and that I'm talking about the speed down the line. they shut up and admitted that there was a temporary problem with their local loop.

So be prepared to ask the not so obvious questions and don't let them blow you away :-D. (Oops hinting too much at CS :-))

Sillyfools

I also wondered about the 4GB that changed to 3 GB on the CSLoxinfo IPStar site - seems like they have made a typo and must be losing potential business as a result of their error - I will not be wating my time telling them though!

https://custmenu.cscoms.com/ipstar/cusinfo.asp

This shows your usage

IPSTAR STAR EXPRESS - Light 3 (3072 Mb.) 26/04/2003 29/02/2004 C

Star Express - Megabit 2 (4.0 GB) 01/03/2004 25/04/2004 A

It also show what subscription(s) you have:

I had the 256 service which shows as cancelled and the new service stating 4GB as active.

This is where they derive the billing from if you use over your limit.

So you should only have to pay the 8k+7%Vat and not 10k +

Hi Croft,

I printed that one out immediately (you never know they might change their logging description) as well as any other papers listing it as 4 Gb transfer

No word back in the mail however but at least I've got the papers to show they promised 4 Gb's :-)