Thailand will enter the rainy season by the end of May: Meteorological Department

webfact

Meteorological Department: Thailand will enter the rainy season by the end of May

PNEVN570516001000401_16052014_023951.jpg

BANGKOK, 16 May 2014 (NNT) – The Meteorological Department said that Thailand would enter the rainy season at the end of May, while the average temperature nationwide is around 38-40 Celsius.

Deputy Director-General Songkran Aksorn said though many parts of Thailand have experienced rains for a few weeks, it was due to the high pressure cell from China. He said that Thailand is still in the summer season and many parts of Thailand are still faced with high temperatures.

The hottest place is Mae Hong Son, where the average temperature is at 41 degrees Celsius while other parts range between 38 to 40 Celsius. Thailand will officially enter the rainy season at the end of May, which will cool down the heat and bring more water for agricultural activities.

Recently, the government has declared 47 out of the total 72 provinces to be the drought hit areas. Some provinces are facing serious water shortage from the long delayed rain.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-16 footer_n.gif

Did Plodprasop get the chop too or can we look forward to his kindergarten fluid mechanics and imposed water projects?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

We have had weeks here over over 38c, {petchabun province], we have however had some goods storm and rainfall,the only downside of course that usually the power goes out,and the other night it was off for 12 hours,i do enjoy the wet season ,cooler temps and everything nice and green,at the moment i am finding it hard to leave the air con sanctuary of my study,i am starting to worry about getting piles.

I have a pile driver for sale if you are interested,almost brand new any reasonable offer will be considered.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

And I bet the country is ready and well prepared to handle this... not!

The flood mitigation controls implemented by former PM Yingluck are in place and are being discussed with the new PM at Chiang Mai as I write and sad to say that's all that's been done talk for the last five years. PTP (people Talk Party)

I was never much good at geography,but I could have sworn Thailand was in the northern hemisphere,so summer starts roughly about May/ June and goes through to Aug./Sept.Correct me if I am wrong.

Not in Thailand, they have hot, hotter and hottest season smile.png

I was never much good at geography,but I could have sworn Thailand was in the northern hemisphere,so summer starts roughly about May/ June and goes through to Aug./Sept.Correct me if I am wrong.

Köppen climate classification is your friend wink.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6ppen_climate_classification

Thailand has two types of climate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_savanna_climate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_monsoon_climate

• Like 2

Aside from a brief storm last Friday evening, I don't recall any rain in Bangkok since November. Blazing sun and about 38 now. Bring on the rain...

Didn't a certain 'witness' claim that a certain 'ice delivery man' accidentally hot a cone because it was raining heavily and couldn't see it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No, no no! that is far too simple. We couldn't possibly know when the rainy season was about to start without the good offices of the Meteorological Dept. - which is of course controlled by Thaksin so be careful of false infromation.

and typically, super hot season = same same as "i burn all the toxic garbage i want with super dry air and no rain, so people have to take all this crap" season

you think they used a fortune teller for this news, even rainy season start each year about this time ?

Edited by belg

We have had good rainfall in Phayao. The smoke haze has disappeared already. This is the earliest I have seen this happen in the last 3 years. It has been like this for over a week. The smoke haze has not in the past disappeared till June in the past. The smoke haze needs good rainfall before dispersing.

wai2.gif Twenty years ago it was common to see thai houses catch rain water for household use and my wife even used it for drinking water. I never got sick from it. I don't see any evidence of anyone catching the free stuff any more. wise up.w00t.gif

• Like 1

Aside from a brief storm last Friday evening, I don't recall any rain in Bangkok since November. Blazing sun and about 38 now. Bring on the rain...

Depends which part of Bangkok you're in but there hasn't been much, however, the first rain this year was reported as early as February 15 although the amount was just a trace really. On December 16 last year there was some rain due to a low that came through from China, causing temperatures in NE Thailand to plummet to just 16-18 degrees in Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Nong Khai and across the border in Vientiane. Bangkok only received a small amount of rain, after which the cool dry season only just started - 2 weeks of temperatures which didn't hit 30 for the rest of the year. Same thing in the second half of January.

March 22 featured a major downpour around lunchtime, whilst there have been a few downpours in April. I don't recall any storm last Friday evening, just some fierce looking clouds that went away after about an hour. Last Saturday morning from 5.30 to 7am there was a massive storm with heavy rain and lightning though.

Being my first summer here I was wondering why after my morning and evening showers each day I didn't feel so refreshed or even particularly well.....

Then,a couple of of weeks ago I realised how much better it was with the hot tap off altogether. facepalm.gif Been off ever since and much better even if the cold water is still rather tepid.

Still very happy to be here and looking forward to cooling off a little with the summer rains. Also enjoying the relative quiet of the low season.

Köppen climate classification is your friend wink.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6ppen_climate_classification

Thailand has two types of climate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_savanna_climate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_monsoon_climate

Most thanks for the links (not joking) they gave me answers I've never found before even thought I do know Google is our friendsmile.png ...as long as we ask the good question of course, which I probably did not do! So wai.gif

I'm not really keeping track, but we had some rain last weekend I think, in the night. Also earlier this week, but none since Tuesday or Wednesday. Mind you, Bangkok is a big city and it may depend on which part of it you are in. I'm in khet Dusit.